Lots of ?s from a new dad about cruising w/ baby

blackwing

This is our first baby, and we want to take a cruise at the end of August. He will be almost 7 months by then. I have so many questions that I'm wondering if more experienced parents and cruisers can help out with. I don't know what to expect.

1. Infant carrier / stroller

I'm assuming he will sit up on his own by then. Do babies that are 7 months still travel in an infant carrier? Then do I need to bring my Snap and Go stroller that it fits to?

Will a 7 month baby sit in an umbrella stroller? We have a McLaren that the seat reclines, but I'm hesitant to bring a $300 stroller onto and airline or cruise ship. I could forsee it getting broken by the airline or stolen if we have to leave it somewhere outside the dining room, etc.

We have a Baby Bjorn. Is this the best way to go?

2. Taxis

Can I put him in the Baby Bjorn and then just buckle the lap belt part of the seat belt and not put the shoulder part around me? It's not 100% safe but it seems less problematic than having to lug around a car seat.

3. Packing / luggage

We are flying, so I believe we get 2 checked bags and a carryon each. This is a really idiotic question, but upon disembarkation I could see us having a problem. Last cruise with just the two of us, we had one big suitcase and one little one. This time, I think we'd at least have two big suitcases and a little one and a stroller if necessary and maybe an infant carrier. How do you maneuver all these things? Are there carts?

4. Baby food

What kind of food does a baby eat at 7 months? Right now he is only 3 months and still on milk-only. Will he eat rice cereal by then? Do I have to bring my own or will the dining room provide it? Will the dining room puree some vegetables for him, is it a special request?

5. Safety

Is it safe to walk around ports with a baby? Sometimes I feel like we ourselves are not all that safe. Sometimes locals can be aggressive. Did any of you ever feel any concern?

6. Excursions

I posted another thread about the specific ports we are looking at (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) but I'm wondering if you bring your baby on excursions. Obviously he won't be going on any of the more physically intense ones like kayaking but have you ever brought your baby on an excursion and then just took turns with your spouse while each did the activity (parasailing, etc). I'm thinking at least the city tours would be OK for him to do.

Sorry for being such a pest, and thanks for indulging a clueless and anxious new dad.

Do babies that are 7 months still travel in an infant carrier? Generally not the infant carrier, but will have a 'car seat' of some sort. Will need it at least on the plane and in ground transportation. There are alternative belting systems that some folks use on planes for toddlers don't know that they are recomended for sitting infants.

Will a 7 month baby sit in an umbrella stroller? It depends upon the umbella stroller. A 7MO may not want to sit up as much as some umbrella strollers sit. Look for a mid-range portable/umbrella stroller that has seating that is adjustable

We have a Baby Bjorn. Is this the best way to go? My DD and my most recent niece both started in baby packs such as the bjorn early on and both LOVED them. My nephew and one other niece both HATED them. If your kid likes it, it IS the way to go. They can be a bit warm, but are the most convenient.

DD was 8MO when we did a day hiking vacation in the national parks in central and northern CA. We alternated between the "front pack" (Bjorn style) and a backpack (designed for sitting babies up through toddler age). She LOVED that backpack because it got her up to the same height as her daddy so she could see EVERYTHING!!

3. Packing / luggage

We are flying, so I believe we get 2 checked bags and a carryon each. This is a really idiotic question, but upon disembarkation I could see us having a problem. Last cruise with just the two of us, we had one big suitcase and one little one. This time, I think we'd at least have two big suitcases and a little one and a stroller if necessary and maybe an infant carrier. How do you maneuver all these things? Are there carts?

Check your airline, many are decreasing the number of checked bags and/or at least the weight restrictions. I traveled alot with my DD (just she and I) when she was an infant. Luggage carts are available to rent in airports near the baggage claim.

I tended to travel with DD in her car seat on the plane, a portable luggage cart, a diaperbag backpack, and my purse (small purse!). I'd get off the plane, put baby in frontpack open luggage cart, put backpack in carseat strap both on luggage cart.

At luggage claim, I'd rent a luggage cart and strap my cart onto it grab DD's bag and my bag (one each! + a big duffle) and put them on the rented cart as well. (fortunately there are many wonderful people who will help a parent and infant travelling alone! I always had help getting the luggage off of the carossel!)

Many folks wait to purchase diapers and other "disposable" supplies at the port city. I'd check through a big ugly duffle bag with those essentials

4. Baby food

What kind of food does a baby eat at 7 months? Right now he is only 3 months and still on milk-only. Will he eat rice cereal by then? Do I have to bring my own or will the dining room provide it? Will the dining room puree some vegetables for him, is it a special request?

Definately baby cereal and some veggies by that age - (I'd bring it, even if you are on a line that might provide some baby stuff and/or puree - many babies are just being introduced to foods at that age, you don't want him to have some sort of reaction to a food and not know which food it was, whether it was the actual food or how it was prepared, etc.)

5. Safety

Is it safe to walk around ports with a baby? Sometimes I feel like we ourselves are not all that safe. Sometimes locals can be aggressive. Did any of you ever feel any concern? We don't really do carribean itineraries so you'll need to get your answers from others.

6. Excursions

I posted another thread about the specific ports we are looking at (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten) but I'm wondering if you bring your baby on excursions. Obviously he won't be going on any of the more physically intense ones like kayaking but have you ever brought your baby on an excursion and then just took turns with your spouse while each did the activity (parasailing, etc). I'm thinking at least the city tours would be OK for him to do.

Trading off for some of the more physically intensive excursions works. If they are long excursions or require trips on small boats, etc. you may just want to have one parent and baby sit it out all together.

DD, as an infant, showed an active dislike to being a pax on fast vehicles on winding roads, so not all of the tours worked for us.

I'm a 1st time mom and our first post-baby trip is next week, but I've done my homework and still remember details for a 7 m/o, so I'll try to answer. We did a driving trip out of state at 8 mos, so we did travel at a similar age.

I'm assuming he will sit up on his own by then. Do babies that are 7 months still travel in an infant carrier? Then do I need to bring my Snap and Go stroller that it fits to?

>>Aging out of the carier is based on ht and wt, not actual age. I had a really long and skinny baby who "sized out" of our carrier at 4.5 months. She was still in the wt range, but couldn't get the straps over her shoulders at full length. I hope someone else can help answer for a typical baby.

Will a 7 month baby sit in an umbrella stroller? We have a McLaren that the seat reclines, but I'm hesitant to bring a $300 stroller onto and airline or cruise ship. I could forsee it getting broken by the airline or stolen if we have to leave it somewhere outside the dining room, etc.

>>I think a 7 m/o would, but if there's no firm back on the stroller, I think it's not so good on their spines. i.e. It's ok, for a while, but I wouldn't leave him/her in it for long amounts of time.

>>As for parking the stroller outside the dining room, we haven't tried this yet, but you might arrange for a table where you could park your stroller, baby and all, for a nap or something. But even if it were stollen, you'd notice and report it immediately. Then how does someone get it off the ship w/o going through security, if it has been reported to security as stolen? That doesn't help breakage, but that helps theft. As for breakage, it's going to get scuffed if you use it. Those things are pretty sturdy b/c they were designed with a purpose. And that purpose is use by frazzled parents and less than gentle children. I can't offer any advice besides that b/c we haven't flown or cruised with our stroller yet.

>>We used a Maya Wrap sling, but the concept is the same. A sling doesn't leave a baby hanging by his/her crotch, but they're the same concept that baby is near you so you feel secure that no one will steal him/her and he/she feels secure b/c anywhere unfamiliar is ok as long as you know mom/dad is with you. But definitely use the bjorn/sling/whatever before your trip so baby is used to it.

>>Also keep in mind 7 m/o will want some floor time and may be crawling/pulling up on furniture.

2. Taxis

Can I put him in the Baby Bjorn and then just buckle the lap belt part of the seat belt and not put the shoulder part around me? It's not 100% safe but it seems less problematic than having to lug around a car seat.

>>I won't judge...do what you can live with. We're taking a car seat for an all day taxi we hired for one location. We're going sans car seat for the 5 min. taxis in the other ports. We're driving to the port from two states away, so we'll have our car seat anyway for getting to the pier. Can't help you there.

3. Packing / luggage

Yes, but you have to find a porter and claim him. Last time we cruised I was pregnant and couldn't handle any luggage and we had too much for just DH. I didn't see any self-use carts. (This was in Galveston.) Don't forget you'll have a bjorn and stroller. Put the baby in the bjorn, stuff in the stroller, and you have a good start. :)

4. Baby food

>>Babies generally start solids at 6 mos (current pediatric recommendation) unless there's a medical reason to start earlier. Some people start kids on solids earlier, but I'll assume that since this is your first and you're taking the time to ask all these questions that you're going to do this by the book. (hehe) The book says start babies on one new food at a time every 4+/- days. By 7 mos baby will have a good number of new foods beyond rice cereal...such as oatmeal cereal, bananas (choose a ripe one and mash with a fork), carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, green beans, yogurt (I'd find one without fruit lumps), applesauce, .... I've read on the boards that most places will puree for you. Also you can get a food mill and do it yourself. Many people swear by it, but my princess never liked the texture it made. Try it before you go and depend on it. I think Princess Cruises will provide jars of whatever you need if you ask in advance. Do a search on the family board and I think you'll find strings to educate you on this one.

5. Safety

Is it safe to walk around ports with a baby? Sometimes I feel like we ourselves are not all that safe. Sometimes locals can be aggressive. Did any of you ever feel any concern?

>>Can't answer this one yet.

6. Excursions

>>We're going independent so we can do that. We're zip lining in Roatan and will trade off DD duty. But all the other places we're just adjusting our port activities to be family friendly. We're going to the Chakenaub Park (sp?) in Cozumel so DD can look at the plants, swim in the kiddie pool, etc. and one parent can go snorkel, trading off. Traveling with a baby isn't traveling as a couple. Ajust your expectations now and you'll have a great time. At least that's what I expect.

This is our first baby, and we want to take a cruise at the end of August. He will be almost 7 months by then. I have so many questions that I'm wondering if more experienced parents and cruisers can help out with. I don't know what to expect.

A seven month old will be sitting up and will not want to be in a snap and go stroller. Bring an umbrella stroller. It will work as a carrier and a great place for them to nap. I literally used my umbrella stroller until the rubber around the wheels crumbled in Switzerland (that stroller must have had 100,000 miles on it!) They are great, fold up, work great in cruiseship hallways and transfer easily into the vans that you will ride in on land.

Forget a Baby Bjorn in the Caribbean- too hot for all involved.

2. Taxis

I have traveled with my little boy many places and never bring a carseat for the taxis and vans. He was either on my lap, seat belted with a shoulder harness (when he was bigger) or asleep in the stroller. Vans are the main form of transportation in the Caribbean and in Alaska you won't need transportation- unless you are on an excursion- you can walk everywhere in Alaska.

3. Packing / luggage

Yes, there are porters at the airport. On arrival at the port- you'll be getting out of a taxi and they have someone to take the bags from you.

And when you disembark there are porters to help with the bags. Relax, I have traveled as a single parent with a child in a stroller and two big suitcases- and never had trouble.

4. Baby food

You can order your food ahead of time on most cruise ships. Call the line directly. They give you and order form. Wait until a month before your trip to order- since your child will have developed tastes for certain foods. There are some things that you can feed them by then. Rice if mixed with something mushy is great. Oatmeal. Your pediatrician will get you started on simple foods to try. It is important not to try new foods on a vacation- since the child might have allergies that you don't know about yet. I took my own babyfood with me though- but have heard the cruise lines are great with this and it is included in the price.

5. Safety

It sounds like you are doing a Caribbean cruise. The locals want you to buy stuff mainly. They also try to get you to book excursions. Many on the beach want to braid you hair and sell you sunglasses, clothing, etc. They are harmless but annoying. My advice is read up on the nicest resorts on each island. Call ahead before and see if the resort in question rents beach chairs ($25 per chair) to cruisers. The resorts often allow babies to swim in the pool and of course they can swim in the calm Caribbean. They take a taxi there and hang out on their private beach. The public beaches are where the peddlers hang out. Look for the Hyatt's, Marriot's, and Weston Resorts- highend and great! The Weston on Grand Cayman is great, calm, crystal clear water. Lunch is served on the beach. Drinks are served on the beach. And you won't have to worry about your belongings all day. Shopping is the same on all the islands. No big thrill.

6. Excursions

Short bus tours would be fine. Even a glassbottom boat tour might be ok.

But a day at the beach, under a palmtree with a tropical drink and the opportunity for him to swim and play in the water would be the best idea. Kids this age love kicking in the water. And you won't be able to do that on the ship. No baby pools.

Sorry for being such a pest, and thanks for indulging a clueless and anxious new dad.

Hope that helps you out!

Thanks so much for all of your responses. We are new at this and still learning! I really appreciate it.

We have a 6 month old and I just ordered a book off Amazon that came highly reccomended from many, many people...

It's called "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron

I borrowed a friends copy and it has all sorts of information in regards to babys first meal - when, where, how, how much, etc.

You've gotten some good answers, but I'll add my own thoughts!

My son didn't sit up until he was 9 months old and, at almost 2, he's still within the weight range of his infant carrier, though we stopped using it at just about a year old. (His goes up to 22 lbs. and we have a little guy.) That may be a decision to make as your son grows. You'll definitely want a stroller. I second the suggestion of picking up a second, inexpensive stroller for travel. We travel a great deal and we have a Chicco umbrella stroller. Not cheap (around $80-90) but sturdy enough for baggage handlers. It's been on several flights and one cruise and is as good as new! It's also just narrow enough to maneuver past room service trays, etc. in the hallways.

Oh yeah, take it! You'll be grateful for the hands-free way to carry your baby. It's also much easier on your back than hip-carrying.

2. Taxis

We did the same thing a pp said....held our son on our lap for short bus rides. And tried to plan excursions/activities that didn't require any car rides. You'll be anxious, though. And that's really another advantage to taking your carrier/car seat. It can be buckled into a taxi (assuming that the taxis have seat belts, which may not always be true in the Caribbean.)

3. Packing / luggage

How do you maneuver all these things? Are there carts?

Yup. For around $5 you can rent a cart at the airport. Works great. The porters will help you out at the port so that'll be taken care of, too.

4. Baby food

Take your own. You'll know what your baby likes/dislikes/can't stomach.

5. Safety

I've done three Caribbean cruises and never felt unsafe, even with our son. Of course, whenever we travel (even in the US) we're hyper-vigilant (as it sounds like you'll be). Your Baby Bjorn will help here, too....your baby will never be out of your own arms!

6. Excursions

DH and I stick to quieter excursions when we travel with our son so I can't answer this one! Sorry. I can tell you that some of them have age requirements, though. City tours are fine. Beach days are fun, too. As are shopping tours.

It's not a cruise topic, but I second the Ruth Yaron book. (I got mine cheaper than Amazon at Overstock . com.) But remember not to take it as gospel, only a suggestion that you use to guide you with healthy doses of parental instinct and pediatrician advice for your specific angel.

Back to the cruise topic, 7 months is pretty early to be eating a lot of different foods, but when we traveled at near that age we did a mix of take stuff in jars (and tupperware container for the cereal) and eat off the land. Bananas that you mash are available and easy on a ship. You may worry that carrots will have seasonings on them if pureed by ship, so you may take jars of that. It's ok to have a loose plan now as long as you don't firm it up until you see how things go once you start solids.

You're not going to know until the time comes, my now 19 month old daughter was small and in her infant carrier until 11 months old. She could have stayed in after that but we bought a convertable car seat at that time. I do agree with you about taking an expensive stroller though. We have another stroller that I spent about $20 that we're taking with us. It's got a nice size basket for diaper bag and it does recline. It's not the easiest stroller to manuever but I figured if something were to happen to it I can part with $20 a lot easier. If your child is sitting up though I would try to do the stroller vs. carrier on the sit and go. Babies love things around them and getting to look out at everything will keep him entertained.

We have a Baby Bjorn. This is a personal preference for you while on the ship.

2. Taxis

There is a traveling stroller/car seat combo you might want to look into. This would help with airlines and taxis.

3. Packing / luggage

You're son will have his own bag - it will have lots of diapers, wipes, food. Don't forget bibs, diaper rash cream, little bags for stinky diapers, disposable spoons for the food, baby tylenol, and all his clothes. At the airport take the stroller with you all the way to the gate. Right before boarding pass the stroller to the gate agents at the plane for storage. Be the last or as close to last as possible for boarding. If you board 1st that's an extra 20-30 minutes your little one has to sit on the plane. There are carts/porters at the airports and at cruise line terminals. There will be others who have lots more bags than you believe it or not!

4. Baby food

Bring your own food for him. He'll probably be eating some sort of cereal plus small jars of veggies or fruits. Don't rely on the cruise line to take care of this for you.

5. Safety

Stay on main roads, be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

6. Excursions

On Carnival they tell you which excursions are ok and allow babies, not sure about other cruise lines though. Since we're traveling with our 19 month this time we are just going to the beach on 2 of our port days and the 3rd port she's staying with my parents (also cruising with us) while we go snorkling for a few hours.

About the dining rooms, on our last cruise I remember a mom and dad brought their little girl to dinner in the dining room every night. She was in a stroller and I'm not sure if they kept her in the stroller or if they put her in a highchair. She seemed to be about 7-8 months old. If your little one is sitting up by cruise time I would suggest getting a Little Floppy (the cloth covers that fit over highchairs & shopping carts, ours was a red, you can find them at Toys R Us) and let him sit in a high chair with that. You won't have to worry about taking the stroller to dinner that way.

I thought of something else, unless you bring your son in the shower with you (some people do this) you will probably want to bring an inflatable bathtub for bathtime. We still use ours for bathtime and will be bringing it with us on the cruise. It will also double as a swimming pool because she won't be able to get any of the pools since she's not potty trained.

When I cruised w/my son we flew from San Francisco to Miami, didn't take the car seat, but did take the stroller and checked it at the plane door right before boarding and it was given back at the same place when we got to Miami. Have stoller will travel. Also on ship took the stroller to the table in dinning room every night.

I recently cruised with some friends who brought their 5 1/2 month daughter along. They brought her stroller with the detachable infant carseat, and a Bjorn. They used the stroller for an evening walking tour we did in San Juan and that worked great--they fed her, put her in it, and she went right to sleep. On excursions in vans/cars/taxis, they put her in the Bjorn for the car rides, but brought the stroller for the stops where we'd be walking around a lot (like in St. Thomas, we did a tour where we shoped for several hours, then drove around and saw the island). This seemed to work out pretty well. All the excursions we did were city-tour-type excursions, except for one where the grandparents (who were also along on the cruise) babysat while we all went snorkeling. As for meals, I'm pretty sure they brought their own baby food, although she was mostly doing breast milk still. They brought her to the dining room with them every night. Sometimes she would sleep in the stroller (the crew moved one of the chairs at our table out of the way so they could park the stroller right next to the mom), but mostly she would sit on someone's lap while they ate. The dining room staff (this was on Carnival Liberty) could not have been nicer to both parents and baby, offering to bring her anything she might need and also occassionally holding the baby, giving everyone at the table a little break. I can't say enough nice things about them.

The whole family seemed to have a great time on this trip, and I hope you will too!

Babies might grow at different rates but your son will be sitting up at 7 months- most babies do by 6 months. He won't like being in an infant seat anymore because they recline too far back. He will prefer the stroller and high chair. I used them when my son was 6 almost 7 months old and they were great.

Have fun, you will know what your child wants and needs by the time of the cruise and you'll bring these familiar things with you. By the way, my umbrella strollers have cost about $10. The first one lasted almost three years! And, as I said before, I ran it into the ground. It was the best money ever spent. Could not find one in Switzerland for under $ 80!

I did not read everyone's response, so I'm just going to give my two cents from MY experience. If it's useful to you, then I'm glad I cold help....

How big is your baby growing now? Both of my boys were in the 95-7th% at 6 months...well over 20 lbs and we had to get them out of the infant carrier and into a convertable. We took our first son at 8 months on a cruise and bought a Sit N Stroll car seat/stroller travel system. Because he was big, though, it was difficult to get him latch in properly in the vans used in Caribbean countries for taxis.

A 7 mos old should be sitting up by himself, but I would advise to bring a stroller that has a shade and reclines. It will allow you to take him to more places and he can fall asleep in it and stay out of the sun. Also bring a light cotton blanket with you everywhere so you can protect him fromt he sun at all times. We have a $120 Graco that came with our travel system that we take with us. I also like the big wheels on it...umbrella strollers tend to have smaller wheels and you will find this difficult in unpaved areas you walk around. Expect your stroller to be damaged or dinged slightly in travel, but just know that airlines will typically reimburse you for any damage they inflict. You might want to look at some second-hand baby shops for a good used stroller for a decent price.

Who is going to wear that baby Bjorn...you or your wife? My babies were big and I hated my Baby Bjorn by the second month. It pulled on my neck too much and frankly, I preferred the stroller. It can be tiring having that weight on you for a long time. And if it's hot, both you and the baby will get hot with each other's body heat.

2. Taxis

I do not think this is legal in the states, and no one ever asked us for a car seat in the Carib isles. Again, we used the Sit N Stroll for our first son's cruise at 8 months, and the second time, believe it or not, we used nothing for the second cruise when he was 20 months (stupid, I know). This time, we are buying a Baby B'air for the flights, and will bring a car seat for our son who will be 14 months old and the 3 y/o will have his booster seat. Search Baby B'Air on Amazon for a description. Someone has told me about the Eddie Bauer Portable Car Seat that might be worth your investigation.

3. Packing / luggage

There are carts in the airport. I ended up pushing the stroller in front and pulling a suitcase from behind and my hubby had two suitcases in his hands and a back pack on his back. This time will be interesting with a toddler and a baby!

4. Baby food

He'll probably be eating up to 10 ounces (4 jars) of first stage baby food by then plus some rice cereal or oatmeal. Gerber packages baby food in plastic which was perfect for our first cruise and we brought two boxes of baby cereal. Plus some crackers. However, you can request to have foods blended on the ship. Every night we told our waitress what we wanted blended for the next day. You son also might be eating crackers and Cheerios, both of which are found anywhere on the ship. We made it a habit to take a small Cheerios box fromt eh buffet first thing the morning before our excursions to have snacks for him during the day.

5. Safety

Generally, it is safe. I walked around with my son in a stroller everywhere. You will get lots of young women wanting to touch your baby, tell you how cute, etc. etc. On the ship, they have strict rules against staff touching babies, but they still want to do it. Off ship, just never put your self in a position to not see your baby or get sidetracked off the "beaten path" and stick to tourist areas where you are safer.

6. Excursions

Yes. Any excursion with a beach/snorkel is perfect. kids lovethe water. We actually took our son on two hikes with us, but we're a bit more adventurous and brought our child backpack. Just be prepared with extra milk/formula and snacks. I also recommend bringing your stroller so baby has a place to nap.

Tips: if St Thomas is one of your first stops, ask the staff for directions to KMart. It is less than a mile (within walking distance) of the port.You can go there and get anything you forgot for baby. Diapers, sippy cups, bottles pacifiers, anything! We plan to bring enough diapers for a few days then buy a bag of them in St Thomas so we don't have to bring them with us.

Most valuable reason to bring a big stroller (besides baby's comfort) you get to the first in lines! When you get off the ship, you will take the elevators down and typically they will line you up in the wheelchair line because of the stroller. Also, when embarking, we have always been put in a faster line because of the stroller.

I took my daughter on her first cruise at 8 months. I didn't take a car seat but we drove to the port, no flying so we didn't need it. The only thing I would definately recommend is a light-weight stroller. I bought one for about $80. online, it has a canopy for shade & it reclines but it's very light. It was definately worth it, we'll be using it for the 3rd cruise in September. If you would like to know the brand of the stroller, let me know.

I would take the infant carseat as long as it still fits. Some go to higher weights now. I too had a Sit & Stroll but it's expensive and not a great stroller. Good for flying. I have also used a "snap & go" for the same purpose.

Seven monthers do sit up but can still slump in a normal stroller.

The Bjorn is actually one of the worst carriers out there. It hangs the baby by its crotch and then pulls down on the adults' shoulders (why they're often slouching over). You also can't change the baby's position for both your comfort. Mine was in the closet when my first hit 6 months and never came out again.

With so many good carriers out there, the choice is yours'. For travel, many like Mei Tai's or Ergos. I used a sling for most travel but a wrap or pouch would work well too. Most of these are half the price of a Bjorn and will go to 2-3 years. I don't want to put links but two good sites are Kangarookorner.com (which has comparision charts) and peppermint.com.

2. Taxis

Even if the taxi has a small bump, your weight will come down on the baby and crush him. Why wouldn't you use the shoulder belt? There really isn't any replacement for a carseat. You can just hope nothing happens.

Same goes for the flight. There are these badly mismarketed "Baby B'Airs" which only do what any carrier would in the seat, can't be used for take-off and landing and aren't FAA approved. They make it sound like it will be someday on their site. Ugh! Skip it and try to get an empty seat.

3. Packing / luggage

When I go to the U.S. I usually buy a ton of stuff and I'm alone with three kids. I put one in the baby carrier and everything goes on the carts. You'd be amazed how much I can get on...and still have the baby in the carrier.

4. Baby food

Definitely delay solids. I have done exactly this for trips and then tackled that project when we returned. This will simplify your life a lot! There is no rule that a child MUST be give solids at 6 months but talk to your ped. Mine actually was against rice cereal because it's an allergen and hard to digest so it's not the best "first food". I do think it's healthier to give veggies first, and not all, so discuss it with the doctor.

My second dd was huge for her age and did great just breastfeeding until 7 1/2 months. I do have to say that she's a very unfussy eater, never fat but always over the 90th percentile in both height and weight. No need to give solids any earlier and your trip will go so much smoother!!

For the Caribbean questions, I'll let those who have been there more recently answer.

For flying information, here you go;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Have a good trip!

• 8 months later...

Not that it helps now, but we have a Combi DX that folds like an umbrella stroller, but reclines with a rigid back like a bigger stroller... also has a sun canopy and works as a car seat system with MOST infant carriers - my Graco SnugRide fits in it better than the Combi seat that was made for it. The seat doesn't latch, it just sits deep into the seat while in recline - there is a flexible front bar that makes the seat fit snugly.

Oh and the stroller has 5 point restraints, which is also rare in a small stroller. Be prepared to carry your diaper bag though, the storage basket is nearly useless. I bought mine on clearance at babycenter.com for $50 - every fall new colors come out and they clearance the last season colors. They usually retail for about $99 -$129

Definitely delay solids. I have done exactly this for trips and then tackled that project when we returned. This will simplify your life a lot!

I second that! If your baby is healthy and happy go with breastmilk as long as possible... Makes travelling so much easier! (And gives the baby the security that not everything changes...)

Last year, we went skiing for 2 weeks with our 7 months old (and Grandma and Grandpa as babysitter) and I only had to stop by for feedings every 3 or 4 hours. (Most babies that age don't need as many feedings as very small babies, but of course, every baby is different! So maybe you will need to feed him every 2 hours still.) No preparing of food, no dirty dishes, it was so easy and comfortable! :D

And for carrying your baby, I would also recommend to buy or sew a Mei Tai. Baby Bjorn is sooo uncomfy if your baby weighs more than 15 pounds (and not at all healthy for your baby, by the way!). Plus, you can fold your Mei Tai into a tiny package so you can carry it everywhere! ;-)

Once you get on the islands, the taxis and buses do not have seatbelts so that's a concern. Also, many excursions have minimum age requirements so you'll need to see to that. It won't matter if one holds the baby while one does the parasailing, they won't let anyone with an infant on those parasailing boats. One will have to stay on shore while the other goes on the trip. Make absolutely certain you bring baby-friendly sunscreen. Even if it looks like the baby is in the shade, those burning rays are still getting in.

Bring EVERYTHING with you. Finding things like diapers and wipes on the islands could take up all your time in port. The cruise lines will puree veggies and fruit. I don't believe they offer baby cereal, so you might need to bring a box of that. I don't think an infant can handle the adult version of oatmeal.

Hey everyone - this poster has already gone on his cruise (August 2007) ;)

But it's a great thread for other parents of infants. So if you have any additional tips, add them :D

hahah exactly why I was saying "not that it helps now"! Oh well ... I see everyone reads the full posts as well as I do!

Hi everyone-just a few additions-when we took my 8 month old we brought a tiny inflatable kiddie pool and put it next to my lounge chair so she could sit and splash away. We also used it as a bathtub! Also, we took her to the chapel so she could crawl around and cruise (the pews are the perfect height! Finally, room service! We took advantage of that!

Archived