Reservation Dropped!

This just happened to someone else on CC but for an aft. They were bumped from the aft because a party of 3 needed it and they were only a party of 2. RCCL even quoted something about one ships afts were only for 3 or more? IT was just last week and you should be able to located the thread further back on in search. That one concerned afts! :o

Well, they are travelling with their daughter and her boyfriend (in another room across the hall) so the couch may come in useful at some point.

Can't predict those things ;)

Unless their stateroom was moved further down the hall and away from the other parties (linked reservations,) I wouldn't be too upset with the $100 credit. That's pretty good compensation, although I agree that the TA and clients of the reservation should have been told about the change.

Hopefully, the daughter and her boyfriend are mature enough that they will not cause a ruckus and need that extra couch. :D

This is why I book the room that I want! If you book a lower priced guarantee, then you are accepting what they give you in that category. You already get a bit of a discount, and then they offered you the OBC. I think they were more than fair.

It's a gamble if you get upgraded, so you have realize a gamble can go either way. You win some you loose some!

Have a great cruise! :D

This is why I book the room that I want! If you book a lower priced guarantee, then you are accepting what they give you in that category. You already get a bit of a discount, and then they offered you the OBC. I think they were more than fair.

It's a gamble if you get upgraded, so you have realize a gamble can go either way. You win some you loose some!

Have a great cruise! :D

I believe the OP did the book the cabin she wanted. I do not think that they had a guarantee.

As RCCL states in their contract, if 2 people book a cabin that holds 3 or 4, they can be bumped WITHOUT compensation. Geeze, they are getting the cabin right next door, and a nice gift of $100. If the OP doesn't want the $100, they can send it to me to use.

I believe the OP did the book the cabin she wanted. I do not think that they had a guarantee.

I could have understood that wrong of course. I have learned here that if you do choose the exact cabin that you want, you sometimes need to state that you DO NOT want an upgrade, as it seems that they will randomly give you one. I mean, I don't consider an inside on a high deck an upgrade from a lower deck, yet RCCL see's it that way, (or so I'm told) so I would opt for the lower deck if it were me.

In this case it appears it's not an upgrade but a "slide over" LOL. It seems like RCCL is really cool about protecting their butts when it comes to this, and everything. I'm sure all the cruise lines are these days.

If they bump my wife and my aft cabin somewhere else I will guarantee that this will be our first and last cruise with RC.

That being said we plan to have a great time and we are counting down the days, as we all do.

I will update if RC does anything else to our reservations ;)

The "international clients" made the reservation this week, like in the last day or two. We have been paid since 4-15-07 and the rooms have been selected for almost a year!!

We are not looking for the owners suite at all, but don't drop the room level on a passenger, especially a past guest that has cruised many times with RC :confused:

The only difference is that your room will have a regular sofa instead of a sleeper sofa. Why would you book a room that sleeps 4 people when you only have 2 anyway? The only difference between teh D1 & D2 is how many they sleep. Sounds like the mistake was on you for booking a cabin you didn't need. Sounds like you should have done a little more research. But the contract does state that if they need a 3 or 4 person room and there are only 2 in the room, they can bump you for someone who needs it. Sorry, but had you book the correct room in the 1st place, you would not be having this problem.

Why would you book a room that sleeps 4 people when you only have 2 anyway?

Sounds like the mistake was on you for booking a cabin you didn't need. Sounds like you should have done a little more research.

Sorry, but had you book the correct room in the 1st place, you would not be having this problem.

I have to disagree. RCCL has often booked a couple in a room that sleeps 3 or 4.....I know, I've done it before and have never had any problem. If it was a "no-no", then why did the TA or representative book it for them?

But, I did not know that they could bump the 2 people in a cabin if a booking for 3/4 comes along later. I will keep that in mind for future reservations.

I have to disagree. RCCL has often booked a couple in a room that sleeps 3 or 4.....I know, I've done it before and have never had any problem. If it was a "no-no", then why did the TA or representative book it for them?

But, I did not know that they could bump the 2 people in a cabin if a booking for 3/4 comes along later. I will keep that in mind for future reservations.

Here is the thing. A E1 costs more money than a E2 and sleeps more people. A D1 costs more money and sleeps more people than a D2. When you book, you have to ask for a category. Why would anyone pay more for a D1/E1 when the only difference is how many people it sleeps. The only 2 reasons are either they wanted an aft or hump cabin that happens to be a D1 or E1. Otherwise, there is no difference. Unless their TA sold them a cabin that they didn't need.

Why would anyone pay more for a D1/E1 when the only difference is how many people it sleeps. The only 2 reasons are either they wanted an aft or hump cabin that happens to be a D1 or E1.

I book a cabin based on the location of that cabin, not the category rating. I don't have a brochure handy, so I don't even know the location of the OP's cabin. Was it a hump or aft cabin?

It is the way RC handled it that is bothersome as well. They did not notify our TA. They sent out an email with a rate reduction today and our TA noticed that their room number had changed. RC never notified the TA of the room change. She found it and called. RC eventually said it was human error in the reservation system. So if its an error, correct it and bump the other reservation? After all they just made their reservation a couple days ago.

Its not the dumb couch, its the customer service, or lack thereof, in the way this was handled.

From reading your posts - it seemed to start out with the "dumb couch". It states it right there in the fine print. They could have just waited until they got the docs. I would be thrilled with moving a room over and getting $100 credit. You will still have a "dumb couch" it just might not pull out. If you booked 3 people, I am sure the room would still be yours. Don't worry - be happy!

Thanks!!! I love Rita Rudner and when I saw her quote, I just cracked up! My DH and I are also DINKS, but we have cats, instead of dogs!!!!! :)

And I guess I'm a SINK...(single instead of double, in case anyone doesn't know what the "s" would be in this case ;) )...with cats too that most of the time act like children, that's for sure! :D

And I guess I'm a SINK......with cats too that most of the time act like children, that's for sure! :D

:D :D But they'll never ask to borrow the car or need braces!!!!! :eek:

I book a cabin based on the location of that cabin, not the category rating. I don't have a brochure handy, so I don't even know the location of the OP's cabin. Was it a hump or aft cabin?

When it comes to balcony cabins, you should look at the category rating. D1/D2/E1/E2 can all be right next to each other, and if you pick a D1 right next to a D2 you will be paying extra that you don't need to pay.

From reading your posts - it seemed to start out with the "dumb couch". It states it right there in the fine print. They could have just waited until they got the docs. I would be thrilled with moving a room over and getting $100 credit. You will still have a "dumb couch" it just might not pull out. If you booked 3 people, I am sure the room would still be yours. Don't worry - be happy!

I guess then whats the point in even picking rooms?? Since the cruise company (rci or whomever) can move you where ever the heck they want to then why bother allowing the passenger to pick rooms? Why not have everyone book a guaranteed room/rate and go from there. Then no one is dissatisfied, at least they don't have an excuse.

Not to mention RCI needs to learn how to notify people if they get bumped, especially if they picked a certain cabin. They also need to learn to use an "excuse" properly. If this was a human error and the room was booked for the second time in error then it should not be an issue right now. They should have fixed it. From what RCI told us it was indeed an error and whose to say there is only two passengers now in that room?? That should be interesting!! The whole thing is just messed up if you ask me.

That said we are going to have a blast on this cruise, even if we end up sleeping on someone elses couch or pullout. This is the first time our family has ever gotten together like this and it certainly will not be the last.

I guess I just really don't understand what the big deal is. They were moved ONE door over AND got $100. Tell me where I sign up for that. I would gladly move one door over if it meant getting to have a few more drinks.;)

I'm really confused, and think the OP is quite upset for absolutely no reason. I'm not sure how better RCCL could have notified them? Executive showing up at their front door with dinner and wine maybe? Otherwise, email is a quick and effective form of communication. If you're moved one door over, what's the big deal? As long as the room/balcony is the same size, it's not a connecting room, and isn't next to an elevator or loud common area, then it should be fine.

99% of the people who pick their room probably don't have a problem. You're just one of the unlucky 1%. And they compensated you very well, especially when they didn't have to compensate you at all. I understand that you picked a certain room, but unless you absolutely positively had to have this room, don't fret.

You've also yet to explain why you really need that pull out sofa. The rooms are not big...you wouldn't want that thing open anyway.

Frankly, while you say you will enjoy yourself, I'm glad I'm not going to be on the same cruise with you. I can only imagine the minor complaints you'll blow out of proportion at dinner to your fellow tablemates.

You've also yet to explain why you really need that pull out sofa.

Frankly, while you say you will enjoy yourself, I'm glad I'm not going to be on the same cruise with you. I can only imagine the minor complaints you'll blow out of proportion at dinner to your fellow tablemates.

I think that was a very tacky & uncalled for remark. :cool:

And, imho, she does not owe any of us an explanation of why she wants a sofa.......

The OP is not the occupant of the stateroom in question. They are relatives. The relatives are the ones that are upset, because they or their TA were not notified by ANYONE at RCCL about the change. Their TA noticed that the stateroom number had changed. She is the person that let them know about the change and tried to get it changed back and after not succeeding, was responsible for getting the relative a credit.

The OP states that the relative was worried that the stateroom would be smaller, because it did not contain a pull out couch (I think that was the main reason they wanted that particular type of stateroom, because they thought the couch made the stateroom larger. It does not!) The second reason is because they thought there could be a problem with their daughter and boyfriend and the couch might be needed.:rolleyes:

I think the whole point of this thread was that the OP wondered how RCCL can just make changes to accommodate another TA and passengers, without notifing the original occupant and given a chance to agree to the change.

Give the OP a break! ;)

That's fine Iamthesea, but he/she asked and we answered that the cabin won't be smaller, they'll still have a couch/chair, they've got a hundred bucks. The op doesn't like the answers but seriously, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to get moved 10 feet and be given $100. If it was me travelling with the person who is upset I'd be doing everything to put a positive spin on it so that they walk on the ship with a good attitude so it doesn't become the focus of the trip.

The "international clients" made the reservation this week, like in the last day or two. We have been paid since 4-15-07 and the rooms have been selected for almost a year!!

We are not looking for the owners suite at all, but don't drop the room level on a passenger, especially a past guest that has cruised many times with RC :confused:

I have to go with the majority here. I don't think that the "international" person had anything to do with the bump. And, quite frankly, you don't know what the circumstances are behind the other person getting your room. Its not a good idea to make assumptions and fall prey to the big man vs. the little man syndrome. You or the travel partner received an offer to switch, accepted it, and now your complaining????

A year ago, we lost our stateroom in error, somehow two travel agencies had booked the stateroom at the same time. The other guest needed our room so that they could have next door purposes for their children. I was moved down three doors. Got a fifty dollar credit and didn't sweat it. Seriously, there are a lot more things to complain about than a free $100.00 when you lost the "hide the bed" feature on your double occupany reservation couch.

:D :D But they'll never ask to borrow the car or need braces!!!!! :eek:

My cat has periodontal diesease and the dentist bills are quite high. He needs his teeth cleaned often and had 7 extractions last time:eek:

My cat has periodontal diesease and the dentist bills are quite high. He needs his teeth cleaned often and had 7 extractions last time:eek:

7 extractions??????? :eek: Poor kitty!!!!!!!!

But at least they won't need braces! :D

That's fine Iamthesea, but he/she asked and we answered that the cabin won't be smaller, they'll still have a couch/chair, they've got a hundred bucks. The op doesn't like the answers but seriously, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to get moved 10 feet and be given $100. If it was me travelling with the person who is upset I'd be doing everything to put a positive spin on it so that they walk on the ship with a good attitude so it doesn't become the focus of the trip.

I agreed early on that it would not be a big deal to me to be moved one stateroom over - that is unless it moved me away from the rest of my party, or over from the center of the hump :D , or under an area that I didn't wish to be under, but I would still like to be notified and given the chance to accept the change (which the OP's friend was not.)

RCCL did this without notifying the TA, or the individual who had the stateroom booked. They would have gotten away with it, had the move not been noticed by the TA. If it had not been discovered, the passenger would have discovered this on their own, once onboard. The TA fought for them and was able to at least get them some OBC.

Archived