Insurance Experts-I Need Help

I am planning to cruise on Splendour on August 2008. I am going to book the air and a pre cruise hotel room myself and book the cruise with Royal Carribean. Both my husband and I have pre-exisiting conditions.

My question is most of the independent travel sites ask the total cost of the trip. I know the cruise will total 2700 and the hotel is roughly 600. I have no idea how much air will be since I may or may not use one frequent flyer ticket(depends on United). I can't book the air until Septmeber. Do I give a rough estimate on what I think I will be paying? I want to leave a deposit for the cruise but I need to buy the insurance within 15 days so we can waive the pre-exisiting condition clause. What do I do?

You insure for the non-refundable money you might lose. For instance, you can cancel hotels (usually) up to some time the day you are to arrive, so I don't insure for the cost of the hotel. Airline and cruise fare are at risk, so I insure those. Then, there's usually a "break point," whereby if you insure $xxxx.xx it costs so much, and $xxxx.xx + some is more, so if there's a decent difference, I might figure I can absorb the few dollars not covered if necessary, and insure for the lesser amount. And you insure from the day you leave home to the day you get back, so if you're doing pre- or post-cruise stays, include that time in the dates you'll be gone, not just the cruise dates.

Jodi

Buying the insurance, with the company you chose, should be based on what you think the trip might cost you out of pocket. Just about all of the insurance companies do not cover "frequent flier" fares. To cover your pre-exisiting conditions, simply put an amount equal to what you think you will be out of pocket for, and then, if it is more or less, you can ask to have the amount changed before you leave. Changing the policy will change the amount you pay for it. Better to underestimate to begin with, and then add additional later. That way you're not dealing with credits. Always best to CHECK with the company you chose. I use CSA and I've never had a problem.

Some companies actually will cover pre-existing if you pay before final payment. Again, CHECK with the company you chose.

my advice is to only insure what you know you'll be out now if you cancel. Then when you add additional items you can always add in those expenses into your total cost which may increase your premiums. Don't forget to factor in the cost of reinstating your miles if your going to use FF tickets (we're doing that for a land vacation using FF tickets to Hawaii this winter). Before you pay your premium make sure to find out exactly what your covered for... insurance these days have alot of "grey" area. Even with the pre-existing waiver they may not cover certain things. Find out all the facts before your premium is due.

As an insurance agent for over 30 years, I can tell you there have been times that I have bought the coverage and times that I have not.

Trip cancellation insurance has several parts. One for the reimbursement of funds you have spent or are obligated by contract to pay for the trip. Yes, it's wise to cover only what you have out of pocket, but let's say your spouse becomes ill the day you leave. You might have a hotel night that is non-refundable. Trip cancellation is based on the cost per $100. Ask for the premium quote based on what you think you will loose, and then on the total amount. You might find out it's only a small difference.

Remember the portion of the coverage that adds costs for medical payments and repatriation. Some countries will not accept your insurance and detain you until you pay your bill. Your private medical coverage might not pay for the ships doctor because of excessive charges. Buying the medical in your trip insurance is a big consideration.

Also you can purchase loss of luggage and extra expense coverage. You need to take a look at the entire insurance offered and make sure that what you are buying is not minimal. You might have coverage under your homeowners for your personal belongings, subject to a deductible and covered perils on the policy. As your agent for help. You might also find out that they can get you a policy.

Lastly you may have coverage from your credit card that you paid for the trip with. Call your credit card company and ask. Buying a separate policy may not be necessary.

Whatever way you choose, ask how the policy pays. It can be paid on behalf of you or as a reimbursement to you. There is a big difference when it comes to paying a bill for medical.

Ask your TA, RCCL or credit card company for a specimen policy. Read it! They are not difficult to read.

BTW - when we went to Alaska we purchased coverage with Princess. They had a nice policy and affordable premium.

Buying the insurance, with the company you chose, should be based on what you think the trip might cost you out of pocket. Just about all of the insurance companies do not cover "frequent flier" fares. .

That is correct - if you are using FF miles to buy your air, don't bother adding the fare in to your trip cost - you will be payign more for the coverage and most likely your insurance company won't cover the air anyway.

Before you buy a policy, call the company and ask about FF miles.

Archived