What's the most ridiculous clothing (or lack of) that you've ever seen on a cruise?

lmurf

How about this a very lovely lady wearing a crochet 2 piece without any lining. Looked nice going into the water-coming out was something else:o.

Or the older :D gentleman wearing Speedos, sitting poolside with his legs apart-not a pretty sight-he was completely exposed!!

On our last cruise (on Rhapsody) there was this older couple....as in white-haired-older. EVERY night for dinner they were dressed to the nines and looked like they belonged on the Titanic! I mean, she had these long, chiffon gowns (I mean GOWNS) with feathers and dangly things and shiny things and each dress had a matching HAT!! A big-a$$ hat, too! She looked like Bob Mackie's mother or something! And he always wore dinner jackets and his little bow tie would match her dress. I remember one was bright, aqua blue; one was orange; and one night (the first night I noticed them) she was in all frothy white - swear to God she looked like a ghost. Everyone thought they had just gotten married! But they hadn't - they just dressed that way, and then spent the rest of the night parading each other around the ship - hitting EVERY venue for at least a turn around the room. (And no surprise, during the snowball blackout bingo game, SHE was the one who jumped up and YELLED "bingo" flapping her arms and screaming like a banshee - only she didn't listen the rules - she just had one line; not the whole card. Moron.)

Now about the woman I got to be friends with on this cruise. She's older than me by about three years (later 40's). This was her first cruise and she bought SO many new clothes for this cruise that she spent most of her time running to the room to change into a new outfit. Bless her heart, she had to or she would have NEVER gotten a chance to wear it all! And a new swimsuit for each day. But one outfit in particular stood out - she had a sweater dress, sleeveless, leopard print (I think it was a vintage dress). It was SOOOO tight and SOOO short - unbelievable - and she had these (admittedly pretty knockout) super high heels that were gold and brown. (They HAD to be the original Eff-Me shoes ;) ) I mean she looked JUST like a hooker. A high class hooker, to be sure, but a hooker nonetheless.

I LOVE people watching on the ships. So much fun! I don't want to tell you about the first thong bikini my sons saw. Suffice it to say - she should NOT have been wearing it OR sunbathing on her stomach. Ouch.

If my step-dad had ever been on a cruise, I would have guessed you were talking about him! (Although, he wears Carhartt bib overalls and usually only on weekends when he's working around the barn....and occasionally if he needs to go into town to pick up supplies in the middle of working on the barn.) I think he looks endearingly cute in them...but he would NEVER wear them on a cruise. He has a white collar job at the courthouse and has plenty of casual and formal wear that he would feel more comfortable in because it's more appropriate.

In the dining room (thankfully not formal night):

A middle aged' date=' 300 pound man, in Levi Bib Overalls...snap hooks and all.....[/color']

These threads are always a bit of harmless fun, until someone gets their britches in a wad over something.

I'm sure I've been noticed for my fashion faux pas in the past, I can always enjoy a chuckle at my own expense :) You do have to remember as well, that fashion is regional, what looks odd to me is totally appropriate in Texas (referring to my last post on the fashion board!).

I love to people watch, sometimes you are in for a delightful surprise. I've written on this board about a woman who wore the same dress every night on our NCL Hawaiian cruise a few years back. Freestyle dining, I guess she figured every night, different restaurant. We kept our eye out for her and were never disappointed... I absolutely loved seeing a man in his lime green shiney satin tuxedo, complete with ruffly green shirt. It would have worked great if all the couples in his party dressed this way... I adored seeing the very elderly woman in her ballgown, feather boa and tiara.

The most disgusting was the man (again I have written about him before, can't help myself), wearing a speedo suit that was elastically challenged around the leg openings. He shared with everyone the bits and pieces that only his doctor and his wife should have been exposed to. The fun part was being up a deck from the pool and watching the reaction of people walking by. Parents hurrying their children by, blocking the view, most adults in hysterics, then telling others who made sure to casually walk by, to see the event for themselves. He would have been thrown in jail for indecent exposure if he were on a land beach here in the US :D

I do my best not to judge anyone by the clothes they are wearing, instead to get to know the people in the clothes. It's great to meet and talk with people who live in areas that you have never visited before. As long as you don't assume that eveyone is the same from wherever you met the person in the odd (to you) clothing :)

ps, I never introduced myself to the above mentioned mr. weenie man :p

On a recent Caribbean cruise with two girlfriends of mine, we kept coming across the same pair of women. One was quite plain in her dress and hair and appeared to be middle-aged. The other one was always perfectly done up wearing clothes that easily emphasized her "upstairs area." (She did have a very good figure) The interesting part was that whenever we saw them, the younger one was always posing for a photo....you couldn't help getting the impression that by the provocative way she dressed that she was out to catch herself a wealthy husband.

On one of the formal nights, she was attired with a fur trimmed top and posing like a Playboy model for the photos. Everyone was crowded around for the show and the companion was just standing there with a blank look on her face. My girlfriend spoke to her and said, "my, you are so fortunate to have such an attractive daughter." She immediately became insulted and told us with her broken accent that the woman was not her daughter, but her friend!" Every evening, we would scan the ship's photo area to see her latest poses. Give me a cruise anytime for people watching!

I do my best not to judge anyone by the clothes they are wearing, instead to get to know the people in the clothes. It's great to meet and talk with people who live in areas that you have never visited before. As long as you don't assume that eveyone is the same from wherever you met the person in the odd (to you) clothing :)

Thank you -your last statement is so true. Why is it that some people judge others this way-you can't tell a book by looking at it's cover. The world is too small for some to be so small minded. That's all ...Happy Cruising to All !!!!!!!

Point of enlightenment folks: People watching IS people judging.

Anyone that watches people makes some judgements about them, whether they're positive or negative, the judgements are still in your head.

Anyone that claims that they judge people solely by what's inside and totally ignore how they dress, decorate their bodies or groom themselves are just fooling themselves. It's just not possible.

We DO make judgements about who people are based on what they're wearing and how they hold themelves.

Point of enlightenment folks: People watching IS people judging.

Anyone that watches people makes some judgements about them, whether they're positive or negative, the judgements are still in your head.

Anyone that claims that they judge people solely by what's inside and totally ignore how they dress, decorate their bodies or groom themselves are just fooling themselves. It's just not possible.

We DO make judgements about who people are based on what they're wearing and how they hold themelves.

That's why I say "try not to", because I know we all have pre-conceived ideas. However, I've been proven wrong so many times that I do try to keep an open mind about it. Perhaps "judge" isn't the best word to use, it would make more sense to say I try not to assume a person is what they appear to be simply because of the clothing they wear. It's better (to me) to allow the opportunity to talk with them before making snap judgements. Same idea, different words, longer explanation.

Case in point, I used to be a little fearful of people with multitudes of tatoos and piercings, so much so I would avoid eye contact. After being forced to speak with some who look that way, I know now that the ones I've spoken with have been very nice. While it still looks odd to me, I no longer assume they are bad people because of their hair, tatoos and piercings. My misconception.

On the other hand, the female principal at our school looks average, every day, kind of boring in appearance. But, she's a (rhymes with witch) to the bone. Most people would assume she's a nice lady because of the way she is groomed and dressed. Everyones misconception.

Everyone deserves a chance and although first impressions are important, appearance can be deceiving.

That's why I say "try not to", because I know we all have pre-conceived ideas. However, I've been proven wrong so many times that I do try to keep an open mind about it. Perhaps "judge" isn't the best word to use, it would make more sense to say I try not to assume a person is what they appear to be simply because of the clothing they wear. It's better (to me) to allow the opportunity to talk with them before making snap judgements. Same idea, different words, longer explanation.

Case in point, I used to be a little fearful of people with multitudes of tatoos and piercings, so much so I would avoid eye contact. After being forced to speak with some who look that way, I know now that the ones I've spoken with have been very nice. While it still looks odd to me, I no longer assume they are bad people because of their hair, tatoos and piercings. My misconception.

On the other hand, the female principal at our school looks average, every day, kind of boring in appearance. But, she's a (rhymes with witch) to the bone. Most people would assume she's a nice lady because of the way she is groomed and dressed. Everyones misconception.

Everyone deserves a chance and although first impressions are important, appearance can be deceiving.

Ohhhh absolutely.....the old addage of "you can't judge a book by it's cover" is so true. When I do my grocery shopping which is usually Sat or Sun mornings I throw on a pair of sweats or jeans with sneakers, no makeup and my hair is up in a pony tail so people who see me might think "ack look at her"......but when I have to dress appropriately I do. My mom has a friend who she met on one of her vacation trips. My mom is 81 and this lady is about 59. When my mom first saw her she thought that the woman was a real floozy. This lady has really big and wild hair which we think is partly a wig. She also wears a ton of makeup which is applied to heavily and doesn't look very nice. When my mom got to know her she found out what a wonderful and intelligent woman this is. She is a teacher and holds 2 master degrees. They are now very good friends and she has become friends with my husband and I also.

It's just that some people don't look beyond the first impression and they won't give a person a chance. It's really unfortunate that some people have that mindset because if my mom was to think that way, she never would made such a wonderful friend. :)

Hello everyone! Glad to see there are still some of the oldtimers here! This was such a super fun board about 6 years ago. Just a small group of people and we even ended up cruising together once!

With that being said...we spent a lot of time on the "fashion felony" threads and had a ball. Here is the one that I thought was the winner...

Elderly woman was wearing a STUNNING full length gown. I mean GORGEOUS. she looked so great. Then she walked past and her back view was an entirely different story. The gown was a halter type with no back. And she had on a regulation dirty white bra!!!! She was with a man, and even though they aren't always the brightest creatures on earth, I can't believe he didn't mention it!!!

There is also that old "addage" that you only get one chance to make a "first" impression and that it happens within the first 8 seconds. Of course, we are going to make our so-called judgement...we have nothing else to go on at that point. Doesn't mean something terrible...our minds are meant to be changed.

Therefore, I have always believed that we project an image of what we are by the way we dress and present ourselves.

Great thread!

I had only gotten halfway through this thread when I made my post. Now I just went back and looked at it all.

Yup, we are JUDGING. This is a fashion thread!! And we are judging FASHION. I don't see one single post where someone mentioned anything nasty about the PERSON, they were commenting on their FASHION, on this FASHION board!! Okay fine, I did minorly slam men in my post but, geeeesh, don't most of them deserve it? LOL!!!

Anyway, those that take great insult in us commenting on "bits and pieces" hanging out, and panty lines, or a size 14 body in a size 6 dress, please just skip over this thread. It never ceases to amaze me that someone would go to a thread about ridiculous fashions, and then post that they are upset we are talking about ridiculous fashions.

Okay, flame away.

Oh, and I'm a fat woman that ALWAYS notices when fat woman wear clothes too small. Right now I'm wearing sweat pants with a stain on them. A t-shirt that is too small, and no bra. It's not pretty. A true vision of beauty.

I think that you're limiting the judgements to only two points - whether that person is "nice" or "not nice". There are lots more things to judge about a person than "nice or not".

While I agree that appearances can be deceiving, we DO learn alot about someone within the first 10 seconds of seeing them. We make judgements everyday about all things and the word judgement isn't a bad word IMO.

If I see a person with mulitple piercings and tatoo's, than I do make judgements about them which has nothing to do with niceness or scariness. My judgements could be this person needs a lot of attention and they don't hold a 9-5 corporate job. Depending on body posture, facial expressions, etc I may judge that they're a performer and this is part of their costume. Depending on their age I may judge that they're "going through a stage" if they're in their teens or young 20ish and/or make very different judgements if they're 40 and dress that way. Again, it doesn't tell me anything about whether they're a nice person or not. Clothing cleanliness, facial expressions and body language also come into the mix.

And if you're close enough to hear them speak to someone, that also tells you a lot about someone in under 2 seconds. How a person asks a waiter for something speaks volumes about them. Do they bark their order at them? Do they avoid eye contact? Do they smile and say please/thank you. Do they laugh off a minor error or allow it to ruin their dinner? All these clues give us insight into who people are and let us know if they're the kind of person we'd enjoy spending time with.

As far as the school principal, I never assume a person is "nice" because they wear traditional, boring or conservative clothing. Nasty people, whether *itches or *astards come in all clothing styles.

I agree with JolieMadam, we project who we are. I have a new friend (about a 4 month friendship) and last night I told her that my favorite instrument was the banjo and she said she wouldn't have guessed that about me. I asked if it's because I always seem more "dressed up" and never in jeans and she said "yes, partly". Well, I told her that I'm about 10 pounds overweight right now and since I carry my weight in my butt I think that jeans look awful on me. As soon as I lose the weight, I'll be back in my jeans. So she did make a judgement about me based on my clothes, but it had nothing to do with nice or not nice and she was happy to learn more about me. We dig deeper into the people we enjoy being with. On our first meeting of one another (she lives right next door to me), we definitely sized each other up. I noticed her very chic haircut and fashionable glasses and politeness so I was attracted to her overall being. Then I learned how nice she is and our friendship is blossoming. Our DH's don't have a lot in common but enjoy us getting together as a 4-some.

Whew, has this gone off topic!!!:eek:

I just want to say that if you judge a person on their looks, you might be giving up the most wonderful friendship of your lifetime. I know that because my mother almost did. ;) Yes, I know I posted above about a heavyset woman wearing a gown that was totally not appropriate. That was on a short 2 night cruise and I didn't even speak with her. Would I have spoken with her, if it was longer? Probably not if I just saw her in passing. I'm a very shy person and don't usually just go up to people to say hello, if I don't know them. But if I were in a situation, in a lounge and sitting next to her or something, then yes, if I saw she was nice, intelligent and sincere, I would most definitely speak with her. This, of course, is just my opinion. So happy cruising everyone. :)

I just want to say that if you judge a person on their looks, you might be giving up the most wonderful friendship of your lifetime. I know that because my mother almost did. ;) Yes, I know I posted above about a heavyset woman wearing a gown that was totally not appropriate. That was on a short 2 night cruise and I didn't even speak with her. Would I have spoken with her, if it was longer? Probably not if I just saw her in passing. I'm a very shy person and don't usually just go up to people to say hello, if I don't know them. But if I were in a situation, in a lounge and sitting next to her or something, then yes, if I saw she was nice, intelligent and sincere, I would most definitely speak with her. This, of course, is just my opinion. So happy cruising everyone. :)

Sandi149:

I think you put that quite well. Do you have a pipeline to my mother?

She was quite the elegant grand dame in her day and held beautiful, lovely teas for her many charities. But she also had the most eclectic, zany group of other girlfriends. A few were her best friend "tea ladies," some were working women, secretaries of the husbands, some, God Forbid were "maids" in the neighborhood! She called them the "real" girls. Bright, diverse, interesting, supportive of one another, optimistic and hysterical to be around. Best friendships.

Her advice to me was: Clothes can lie; Bearing never does.

Skip those first 10 seconds re: clothes, haircut, etc. Take a few precious extra few minutes to really look. Demeanor. You'll find sage old gals with wisdom you never knew, terrific ladies with talents & hobbies you never heard of, women with experience in areas you never knew you needed, but now you do; brillant women, fun ladies to share with, and on and on.

A few were her best friend "tea ladies," some were working women, secretaries of the husbands, some, God Forbid were "maids" in the neighborhood! She called them the "real" girls. Bright, diverse, interesting, supportive of one another, optimistic and hysterical to be around.

Well that's a judgement right there, isn't it?

Kind of a reverse snobbery.

Makes it sound like she was proud of "slumming" or like saying, "why some of my best friends are fill in the blank". ;)

Her advice to me was: Clothes can lie; Bearing never does.

Sorry, don't understand the expression "Bearing doesn't lie". What does it mean?

But if I were in a situation, in a lounge and sitting next to her or something, then yes, if I saw she was nice, intelligent and sincere, I would most definitely speak with her.

Hmmm....so how would you determine if she was nice, intelligent and sincere before speaking to her? Guess you'd have to make a judgement. :D

Hmmm....so how would you determine if she was nice, intelligent and sincere before speaking to her? Guess you'd have to make a judgement. :D

Jane, put it this way....if that woman were sitting next to me and started talking to me I wouldn't ignore her. I said I wouldn't go up to her and speak with her in passing because I'm shy, just as I wouldn't go up to a person who was dressed very formally for the same reason. If that woman were to be sitting next to me in a lounge and started talking to me, I would definitely listen to her because I'm not a rude person and I would hear what she had to say. If she were a nice and sincere person, then I would continue to be interested in speaking with her and only because she was "nice and sincere". I really try not to judge too many people on what they look like. Of course sometimes we all do...but I have learned from what my family went through. I am Jewish and my father in law is a holocaust survivor. He lost his whole family in the holocaust...but that is a totally different topic. It's very unfortunate that people judge people by their beliefs and practices in this world and it's totally unfair. If everyone were the same, the world would be quite boring. We are all flowers in life's garden. That is how I look at it. :)

Well that's a judgement right there, isn't it?

Kind of a reverse snobbery.

Makes it sound like she was proud of "slumming" or like saying, "why some of my best friends are fill in the blank". ;)

Gracious. I just don't know how to explain that milieu unless you've lived it. "Slumming" is not a word any of these women would have used to categorize their friends. Dear friends were true friends wherever they found them.......and they just were never too concerned where that was. "Real" friends were ones you shared everything with...... others were of a more casual acquaintance. Nothing new there, eh?

Sorry, don't understand the expression "Bearing doesn't lie". What does it mean?

Hard to define. Demeanor. It's that infinitesimal learned something we all carry to one degree or other, like it or not, in our demeanor, manner, carriage, comportment, etc. that belies whether we are "real", or "phony." It's that essense of us that shows confidence, empathy & that we are truly interested in others rather than ourselves and makes others want to engage us in conversation, get to know us, etc as well. Similar to the person you mentioned at a near table dining who was bombastic & rude.....He did NOT bear himself well, eh? Even if he was wearing Armani.....his "bearing" belied all else and told you who he was, not someone you're likely to engage in a relationship with. Hope that explains.

Wow this is getting quite deep but also very interesting. I can see both sides of this coin . Just as one bird's plumage attracts another type of bird likewise a person's mode of dress may appeal to another distinct group in society. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

That's what so great about fashion we can play with it and it can change with current times,with our moods or simply with whatever life phase we are in.

I think Finely Retired put the real facts of "appearance" quite eloquently in describing that clothing can be deceptive but the true substance of a person is a constant.:)

Anyone over the age of 12 should NOT leave the house/cabin in their jammies! I don't care how comfortable they are.

Saw a woman in her late 20s in a pair of Mickey Mouse flannel PJs for lifeboat drill on RCI last summer.:eek:

Archived