Yet another passport update

My husband and I are set to sail on the Grandeur June 1. We applied for passports on February 23. Were told it would take 10 weeks. Ten weeks came and went. We contacted someone we knew at our local courthouse. He used a contact number and was told to call back in a week. Then I read on cruise critic that someone suggested calling your congressman. My husband did this. We had our passports two days later. Just a suggestion. Hopefully it might work for some of you.

We were on a Caribbean cruise and my DH packed our passports and ALL of my id's in our luggage, when we went through customs I informed them that I had nothing to prove who I was. He said 'well I can't let you off of the ship" to which I replied "oh well I guess I will just have to stay on the ship for a while longer". The agent laughed and said I was too eager to stay on the ship, he let me leave with no problem. So I guess if you can get on the ship there won't be a hugh problem getting off, heck they know we would all just love to stay on a while longer!!!:D

My family of 4 applied on Feb. 20 and received them May 7, 11 weeks. 3 of them were renewals and 1 was new. If you're going just to the Caribbean, the problem is you have to send an original birth certificate with your passport application. So if your passport doesn't come in time for your trip, you're left scrambling for a new official birth certificate!

We are ordering new ones just in case, and we have 16 weeks.

First, sorry to hear about your uncle. But wouldn't you still have the same problem if you were at home and didn't have a passport? I have family working in Shanghai and I'm not sure we would be able to get to them if anything were to happen even though we all have passports. FWIW, I've had a passport all of my adult life and my children have had them since they were toddlers, it's just something we have always done.

Yes, I suppose so. Though getting an emergency passport is a heck of a lot easier to do while at home rather than being on a ship. But your point is well taken. :)

Archived