3 nights before cruise......

3dlinder

We will be staying at the El Convento for 3 nights before our cruise. Where do we buy Vodka, to have while we are in our room?? Is it in a liquor store, or do you buy it in the supermarket? Cheaper than in the states?

Hubby likes his "cocktails" but doesnt want to carry it on the airplane if he doesnt have to!!

Oh also, has anyone been to Guavate for pig roasting?? How far is it? And is it worth the trip?? We would have to rent a car for Sunday, I assume......

Thanks for any input :)

We will be staying at the El Convento for 3 nights before our cruise. Where do we buy Vodka, to have while we are in our room?? Is it in a liquor store, or do you buy it in the supermarket? Cheaper than in the states?

Hubby likes his "cocktails" but doesnt want to carry it on the airplane if he doesnt have to!!

Oh also, has anyone been to Guavate for pig roasting?? How far is it? And is it worth the trip?? We would have to rent a car for Sunday, I assume......

Thanks for any input :)

Hmmmm. Sneaking Vodka into the Nun's Convent huh? tsk tsk... ;)

There is a supermarket in Plaza de Armas which is only a couple blocks east of El Convento. My understanding is that alcohol is slightly cheaper in Puerto Rico than the mainland. Either way, a couple of bucks is not worth lugging it in your suitcase and having a chance it leaks on your stuff (you can't bring it with you as a carryon anymore). Net - buy it in PR.

Guavate is about 30 miles South into the countryside. Yes, renting a car would be advisable to do this. Whether it is worth it or not highly depends on what kind of traveler you are. (it is hard to answer a question like that unless you qualify your interests - I recommend it to some). If you are an adventurous roamer who likes to immerse yourself into a local culture when you travel, then you will love it. The music and food are the real deal. You walk away feeling like you really saw PR. If you are the type who wants to be waited on, hit the spa treatments, eat in chain restaurants, and just enjoy the weather with the Americans, then it probably would not be your cup of tea. I just brought my mother there who visited me last weekend and she loved it. It was the highlight of her visit.

If you are in town for 3 days, it is a good change of pace from the rest of San Juan.

3dlinder, did you know that El Convento has a "manager's reception" every evening with wine and cheese? They also have an honor bar set up on the second floor (where the reception is held). Made for a nice Bailey's nightcap!

Archived