Seward Embarkation

terrascape

The last time we were in Seward three years ago, we dis-embarked off HAL vessel. This time (late August) we will be embarking HAL in Seward. I have been told embarkation does not begin until 4 PM & sailing at 8 PM. We will be arriving on our own on the ARR from Anchorage at 11:00 AM. Will we be able to check our bags at the cruise terminal that early ? (The HAL reps in Seattle did not know!) If not, does the train station hold bags until later in the day? We have covered a good portion of Seward & the Sea-Life Center last time. What is the best way to vist Exit Glacier during our free time from 11ish until 3ish?

Looking forward to seeing Seward again.

Welcome back to Seward! Take a taxi to drop off your luggage at the big white bin outside of the cruise ship terminal and then head to Exit Glacier. The luggage handlers know what time embarkation is for that day, usually around 2pm but sometimes sooner. You could also do a dog sled ride either before or after Exit Glacier. Another option is a wildlife cruise into Kenai Fjords National Park if you haven't done that yet.

We are going to be in Seward at the military resort. We have a Kenai Fjord tour booked the day we board our ship (RCCL, Friday 7-20). Our tour is from 8 am to 2 pm. Ship sails at 9 pm, don't know when boarding begins. I don't know how far the mil resort is from the Kenai Fjord tour or how far either is from where we board the ship. There will be 6 of us so lots of bags. We do have a rental van which we will drop off in Seward just before we board. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the luggage? Also, can you give me a drive time estimate between the three points? TIA!

Elsie:cool:

Hi Elsie, The Seward Resort, cruise ship terminal and the small boat harbor where the wildlife cruises leave aren't much more than a mile from each other.

Store your luggage at the resort. Go on wildlife cruise. Go retrieve luggage, drop at white bin at terminal. Drop off rental van. I'm assuming you know Hertz is the only rental in Seward so you MUST use them if returning here. Walk the 2 blocks back to cruise ship terminal and board your ship. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I had a similar question and have not had a call back from HAL. :confused: We are to embark around 10:30 but we have an excursion to the Eagle Preserve out of Haines starting at 9:30, so you can imagine my confusion. It is good to know that the embarcation time is not necessarily set in stone. I am still waiting for my call back as I left a message back on Wed. Thank you for the info!

Hi Elsie, The Seward Resort, cruise ship terminal and the small boat harbor where the wildlife cruises leave aren't much more than a mile from each other.

Store your luggage at the resort. Go on wildlife cruise. Go retrieve luggage, drop at white bin at terminal. Drop off rental van. I'm assuming you know Hertz is the only rental in Seward so you MUST use them if returning here. Walk the 2 blocks back to cruise ship terminal and board your ship. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thank you Glacier Lady, that sounds like a plan. Yes, we know that Hertz is the only game in town and we've had our vehicle reserved for several months. I've seen many wonderful photos, I know that we are going to love Seward. I can hardly wait.

Elsie:cool:

Thanks for the info on early luggage drop off GlacierLady. Yes we did Kenai Fjords tour last time. It was great. Have a great summer.

For PlantLAdy - are you sure you are not confusing Seward with Skagway? The city of Haines is a one hour run down Lynn Canal from Skagway. It is nowhere near Seward. Keep checking with HAL.

Archived