First time cruiser: Explorer or Empress?

Hello friendly Cruise Critics!

My husband and I have booked ourselves the 11/4 sailing on Explorer of the Seas, leaving from North Jersey (Cape Liberty Cruise Port). We are now reconsidering this decision, and wondering whether a 7-night cruise on Empress of the Seas would be better.

We live in South Jersey, and it would be significantly easier and cheaper to leave from Philadelphia on Empress in October, than to trek up to Bayonne. I like the thought of all the amenities available on the Explorer, but would enjoy the convenience of Philly, plus we wouldn't have to miss our friends' wedding if we switched to Empress. In either case, our destination will be Bermuda, although the ports themselves and length of time spent there will vary pending which cruise we choose.

I realize it'll probably come down to preference, but I wanted to get some feedback on which would be a better choice for first time cruisers. We are 27 and 28 years old, and we are not huge party animals, although we enjoy having a good time wherever we go (example: Walt Disney World honeymoon in 2003).

Thanks in advance, and please include details with your recommendations!!

personally... i would go for whats more conveinant

I booked cruise leaving from miami in march- never made it due to snow storm. it was horrible. we got insurance but still lost 800 dollars. BS if you ask me.

but anyways, we just booked cruise leaving from jersey..so its a few hour drive. We will never go on a cruise that i have to fly to or drive very long distance to , ever again. The ship may not be as nice, but you will still have an amazing time. im so excited about all that hassle i DONT have to go through this time!!! :p

I think you would like the Explorer better also, but would not wnat to miss a friends wedding. Plus if you go on the Empress, it will be the last year she sails for RCI so you could claim that as well. Still your choice. Which is cheaper? if Empress is cheaper and you like cruising as thats what you should be seeing on your first cruise, then you have the explorer to look forward to later.

Only two cruises for me so far, but they happened to be on the Explorer and the Empress. Given your situation, I would pick Empress. We really enjoyed the somewhat more intimate feel. Explorer does have larger cabins, an ice rink, the prominade, but the Empress is still impressive with it's centruim. Both have Portifino - which I highly recommend.

Since this will be your first cruise, I would suggest the more intiment Empress. Sounds like it would work better for your schedule anyways. Then, while on the Empress, buy a "next cruise option" for $100. pp, and use it to book a cruise on the Explorer, for when you can go again, and get the OBC. Once you go on a cruise, you will be hooked!

When I first saw your post I immediately thought Explorer but on reading the actual post I would certainly think Empress is the best option. I personally think the itinerary is much better. You'll love being able to overnight in St George's and Hamilton. It's much more convenient to see the island from there than from King's Wharf. You can get everywhere from any of the ports with a bus and ferry pass but it's easier from Hamilton. Sailing into St George's is a treat in itself and one that may soon become impossible with the larger ships.

Another factor is that your chances of good weather are much better on the earlier sailing.

Wow, what a good amount of information so far! I've actually resorted to a plusses/minuses list of reasons to take each cruise, and I'm going to make additions based on your posts. Don't worry, I'll still have to sell my husband on the decision, so please feel free to continue with the feedback!!

We have cruised both on the Empress and also on a Voyager class ship (Mariner of the Seas). Both my wife and I thought the service was much better overall on the Empress. I don't know if it is because the ship is the smallest in the RCI fleet and the crew just tries harder, or if since there are less passengers on the Empress and the staff can serve evryone better. With either ship you will have a great cruise.

There is NO comparison of the ships-Empress is tiny,not much to do..Voyager is Amazing...you'd never be bored.....BUT -this is not about the ships...you cannot compare a Hyatt(VOS) to a Holiday Inn..you must decide on the other parameters...I always choose bigger & better & lots to do...but that's me.....

Big Al

I agree with Big Al! I love the Explorer, and the Royal Promenade on the Voyager class ships is not to be missed! Also love sailing out of Bayonne....great port and very convenient!

Whatever you decide -- have a great cruise!

I LOVE the Empress...so much that I cruised her twice! Thought she was much better than Sovereign...will travel on the Explorer in 2 months! I agree with the other posters...the intimacy of the ship is unbeatable! You won't feel overwhelmed on the Empress!

I vote Explorer too. It is a beautiful ship with tons to do if you choose to do anything. I loved the huge ship going over to Bermuda! Plus we still had our week-end before and week-end after to relax! Whatever you choose will be great!

I love the explorer as you can tell. Make your choice based on what is best for your family as you also have a wedding in or around the cruise. Hands down I know I am going to have issues cruising on anything smaller than Explorer. I love the promenade. I like being able to people watch. It doesn't have a mall feeling as many others feel as such. Bring on more stores if that is the case LOL! I love all of the activities and I am sure the other ship has alot as well. We love the staff and crew. The bigger ship doesn't have all of the rocky rolly feeling either but my opinion. Large pools, great kids area, love the ice skating shows, three main dining rooms. I could go on and on...Which ever ship you take, please have a great cruise and enjoy yourselves!!!

Explorer of the Seas! Between these two ships, I would pick Explorer over Empress no matter what. Empress is one of their oldest and is their smallest ship, Explorer is one of their newer and one of the largest ships at sea with endless things to do and see. The older Royal Caribbean ships are nice, but nothing like the Voyager class ships.

Empress is also being retired next year, just in case you didn't know..

we live in northern NJ and if you can wait 2 weeks, I'll come back from Bermuda on Explorer and let you know what I thought. We traveled twice to Bermuda on Empress, one out of NYC, the second time out of Philly.

I love Bermuda, and I enjoy cruising (getting there) and the country equally. But truthfully, when booking Bermuda again for this May, I was not running to book Empress again... it's a small ship, and after a second time on her, i didn't feel a want to come back again. Explorer, on the other hand, has gotten unbelievable reviews on this sailing, even though the time spent in Bermuda is less: 2 days vs. 3.5 days.

We sailed in JS balconies on Empress, and truthfully, i can't imagine sailing her in cabins without balconies, they're really tiny. And about stuff to do... well, not much! Second time around we were so bored, we played Bingo (big waste of time AND money).

Anything you choose, you'll love Bermuda, it's really a jewel so close to east cost. First cruise, we did 5 excursions, next cruise, none, and now again, we'l just enjoy Bermuda as she is, without any guided tours.

Last point: with Explorer here year-round and Empress leaving RCI fleet forever in a year, you may never get a chance to sail a small ship and thus, never compare your experience in Bermuda. There is definitely something to do be said about docking in St. Georges and Hamilton, literally in the middle of these historic cities. Below is my picture in Hamilton of Empress in port.

IMG_0069.JPG

oh, found another one I took, St. Georges from a JS balcony.

IMG_0210.JPG

My husband and I have booked ourselves the 11/4 sailing on Explorer of the Seas, leaving from North Jersey (Cape Liberty Cruise Port). We are now reconsidering this decision, and wondering whether a 7-night cruise on Empress of the Seas would be better.

We live in South Jersey, and it would be significantly easier and cheaper to leave from Philadelphia on Empress in October, than to trek up to Bayonne. I like the thought of all the amenities available on the Explorer, but would enjoy the convenience of Philly, plus we wouldn't have to miss our friends' wedding if we switched to Empress. In either case, our destination will be Bermuda, although the ports themselves and length of time spent there will vary pending which cruise we choose.

I realize it'll probably come down to preference, but I wanted to get some feedback on which would be a better choice for first time cruisers. We are 27 and 28 years old, and we are not huge party animals, although we enjoy having a good time wherever we go (example: Walt Disney World honeymoon in 2003).

Thanks in advance, and please include details with your recommendations!!

Has anyone heard about any problems with noise on the aft part of the Explorer of the Seas? I had one person tell me that there is loud engine noise in the very back. We have two cabins booked for April 2008 so there is still time to change if it is a problem.

I've been on the Explorer twice & the Empress twice (1 of which from San Juan to Philly). I would vote for the Explorer, since it's your 1st cruise:) . Granted, the staff onboard the Empress were first rate, I was glad that the cruise up the east coast was my 2nd trip on the Empress, because it was VERY rough (I learned to put fragile items in drawers or in safe areas). I had always heard that the east coast was extremely rough, but I wanted to try it anyway. If the cruise includes Bermuda, it might avoid the roughest waters. I'm sorry that the Empress is being retired next year:( , because I loved her in the Southern Caribbean. I would still stay with the Explorer, but that's just my personnal opinion. Have fun & don't come back looking like a lobster:eek: .

Empress fits in the harbor at Hamilton and St. George.

Explorer is large and only goes to Kings Warf and there is not a lot to do there most folks take thge ferry to Hamilton.

We have the same exact quandry even from s nj. The Explorer is a geat experiance and has 2 pools and a lot to do the Ice show is not to be missed.

The empress is small and intimate with high schoolish entertainment and so so food. but once in Bermuda is a better deal for us.

Trying to decide on june 2 from Norfolk 8 days or something out of Bayone.

Have you considered the Grandeur out of Baltimore? not a bad drive and

the parking and boarding was great.

from phila we take the Rapid Rover (Metrro) over and get dropped at the door.

For the overall Cruise experiance the Explorer is the big time deal.

the more days at sea the better the larger ship.

just MHO

the worst cruise I was ever on was terrific!

Hello everyone and thank you so much for your feedback! Taking into account the convenience, plus the wedding we would've missed, we decided to go with the Empress out of Philly.

Needless to say, we'll take the advice of bringing medicine (in case of rough waters), putting fragile items in drawers, etc., that come into play in an Atlantic sailing.

We figure that by taking our first cruise on such a small ship, with a small cabin, every cruise that follows will feel like it's huge by comparison! Since one of our main goals is to slow down, relax, and just enjoy cruising, we are not worried about the smaller number of activities, etc. Plus, we really won't know any better until we take our next one!! With the Empress leaving the fleet, we thought we'd try her out, and can always try Explorer or other ships in the future.

Time to sign up for the roll call!!

This case is solved... see you on the other boards!

Thanks again and best wishes,

Karen & Marcus

, plus we wouldn't have to miss our friends' wedding if we switched to Empress.!!

You'll LOVE the Explorer! Don't switch and miss your friend's wedding!

Here's 'Radio's Explorer's trip':

Originally Posted by Radio

Just click here

ENJOY

Archived