Srphnx/"regs"-need Help On Last Minute Booking Mex Riv.!!

Lizzybell

Hi-long time lurker and occasional poster-I need HELP FROM ANYONE WHO HAS GOTTEN A DECENT LAST MINUTE DEAL. I am in charge of finding and booking our Mex Riv cruise in late Oct/early Nov- not Jan 05 as planned, per call from Dad yesterday(lives in England-making matters more complicted). Upon calling Costco 2x yesterday, the price went up $250.00 in 4hrs(10/12&10/28 on Star-lowest cabin cat sold out, have to pay next cat)& prices seem to have gone way up in the last 2 wks. Spent over 5 hrs. on phone/net yesteday. We are planning on doing NCL Star, ONLY because of the 1 extra day & Acapulco & I am outvoted and not paying. Ret from Sapphire - Alaska 7/25 and feel in love with her! Since we are now looking @the near future- the prices I have found thru NCL(#800 cust srv sucks!), Princess, Costco and *****.com-($650-750.00PP)-seems like no good deals out there. Are there any other options for better pricing for either line at this point(Dad is elite member & loves princess-like the rest of us-its that extra 24 hrs/ Acapulco/itenerary that is bending us to NCL at this point,BUT he is flex based on prices& last minute change of dates etc. Since Dad is paying he believes in going for the cheapest inside cabins& so yesterday was frustrating, hours on phone and net & not coming up with any "deals" to speak of. 2 wks ago saw ad for 10/30 Diamond for $300 PP. Best deal so far cat N inside thru costco $650.00pp. We are flex on 10/12,20,28or Nov 5 or 13. on Star or 10/16,23,30, Nov.6,13. Everyone has been so helpful on this board and I feel like I have gotten to know/trust so many of you "reg" posters(srphnx, sue d.miller:) , insulin, life is cruising etc) - I am asking for your best ideas/thoughts/suggestions!! Thanks so much,frustrated in OC, CA Liz

Hope this is against the rules - if it is, I apologize since this TA stuff is new to me and I am not sure what I can share.

Check out Travelocity -- they always seem to have decent prices!

Hope this helps!

Jamie

Ok. we cannot mention TA's. I am going to try to say what I think Steve would say. If I am wrong, he will certainly correct me!! :eek: You are right between a rock and a hard place. someone in your party has got to become more flexible!! You have got to find a great price on any ship with that intinerary, or take ant itinerary on a particular ship. It is to late to try to book a particular ship, with a particular itinerary in a particular cabin. something has to give. If you already had a TA they could monitor if someone cancels, but you need several. And if a ship is almost sold out, and some have for a while, any open cabin is going for a premium. I would have a serios talk with whoever is paying for this, and tell them what you have found, and tell them to decide quick. Then go for the best deal you can find. It is even late to be doing this for a january cruise!! (I know!!! Steve would have said it in less words!!) :eek:

If your father is an elite member of Princess, then he should have gotten a sale brochure for the 7-day Mexico Riviera 10-30-04 sailing with great prices. I suggest contacting princess directly. Maybe they can find the promo code on it. I know the insides were going for around $500 including port charges, but not taxes. They still have cabins available if you are interested.

Happy Sailing!

and this town is so small that at some point I was probably either related by marriage to your inlaws or lived next door to them. :eek:

So true, but a beautiful town. I think we panned for gold. It's been ages.

Their last name was Fiorini:) ...I love CA;)

that an awful lot has changed. The folks from the Bay Area are all moving up here with tons of money and buying up all the land. They are building huge 3 and 4000 sq ft homes all over the hills. It is really kind of sad. We would love to move further out from town but we really really like our teeny tiny mortgage payment and don't want that to change. :D

There's two ships on the time frame you arelooking for, Sapphire and Diamond, and the site I went to has space available for the times you arelooking for except 1 is booked on the balcony. Have you ever heard the words "WallyWorld?" The super store people complain about because they put the small Mom & Pop stores out of business. That place is into everything including travel! ;)

Hi-long time lurker and occasional poster-I need HELP FROM ANYONE WHO HAS GOTTEN A DECENT LAST MINUTE DEAL. I am in charge of finding and booking our Mex Riv cruise in late Oct/early Nov- not Jan 05 as planned, per call from Dad yesterday(lives in England-making matters more complicted). Upon calling Costco 2x yesterday, the price went up $250.00 in 4hrs(10/12&10/28 on Star-lowest cabin cat sold out, have to pay next cat)& prices seem to have gone way up in the last 2 wks. Spent over 5 hrs. on phone/net yesteday. We are planning on doing NCL Star, ONLY because of the 1 extra day & Acapulco & I am outvoted and not paying. Ret from Sapphire - Alaska 7/25 and feel in love with her! Since we are now looking @the near future- the prices I have found thru NCL(#800 cust srv sucks!), Princess, Costco and *****.com-($650-750.00PP)-seems like no good deals out there. Are there any other options for better pricing for either line at this point(Dad is elite member & loves princess-like the rest of us-its that extra 24 hrs/ Acapulco/itenerary that is bending us to NCL at this point,BUT he is flex based on prices& last minute change of dates etc. Since Dad is paying he believes in going for the cheapest inside cabins& so yesterday was frustrating, hours on phone and net & not coming up with any "deals" to speak of. 2 wks ago saw ad for 10/30 Diamond for $300 PP. Best deal so far cat N inside thru costco $650.00pp. We are flex on 10/12,20,28or Nov 5 or 13. on Star or 10/16,23,30, Nov.6,13. Everyone has been so helpful on this board and I feel like I have gotten to know/trust so many of you "reg" posters(srphnx, sue d.miller:) , insulin, life is cruising etc) - I am asking for your best ideas/thoughts/suggestions!! Thanks so much,frustrated in OC, CA Liz

Sorry to have seen this so late in the game, I have been watching Diamond and Sapphire to Mexico like a hawk, our infamous 11.27 sailing has recently gone up as well but only marginally we are still seeing insides at $560 ish (NO TA MENTIONED) but that is later than your time frame, on the upside... we are the rowdiest, most off the hook roll call on the boards. In terms of pulling a low cost rabbit out of a hat... that is a marketing thing and we are victims of our success, ships are booking up fast, rates are reflecting that. email me of you need any more pointers.

I believe the $300ish price you saw is for cruise only, before port tax and government fee.

The Diamond prices I got when broken down to cruise + port tax + government fee, was indeed $400 cruise for an Obstructed View. After port tax and government fee, it adds up to $570 pp. That, incidentally, has been the lowest I have ever seen since July.

I found one big online travel booking engine (not cruise only but for everything) usually has fairly competitive (not the cheapest) prices and you can see availability online. It is useful to use it as a basis to compare various quotes you may get from *****.com.

Wow, what a great price, have fun!! Thanks to all who responded. I have turned the matter over to Dad to make the final decision. I did the best I could with little time but with all of your assistance it made it sooooo much easier. Liz

Archived