Gold panning in Juneo

sira3

I would love to know as well, there are 16 of us, we would like to do at least one shore excursion together and we thought this may be the one! I have heard on previous threads that they other food besides salmon (ribs, chicken) and they had a good time. I need more info I think :o

My husband and I were in Juneau last Monday, May 14 and we did this excursion through Holland America. We had a fun guide that really dressed the part. His name was "Klondike" Keith! He was very helpful to all of us as we tried to pan for our specs of gold! The salmon bake was okay. They had a folk singer that sang to us while we ate. It is all buffet style and you help yourself. Not much to do there except eat. We were offered chowder when we arrived. They had coleslaw, chicken, ribs, beans, corn bread and blueberry cake besides the salmon. It wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either. There is a small waterfall that you can walk to to take pictures. We were ready to go after we ate....I had shopping to do! They have a couple of old school buses that take you back to town and or the cruise ship. Of course you have to sit and wait for the bus to load up before they will leave. All in all it was worth the money. Would I do it again? No, once was enough.;)

My husband and I were in Juneau last Monday, May 14 and we did this excursion through Holland America. We had a fun guide that really dressed the part. His name was "Klondike" Keith! He was very helpful to all of us as we tried to pan for our specs of gold! The salmon bake was okay. They had a folk singer that sang to us while we ate. It is all buffet style and you help yourself. Not much to do there except eat. We were offered chowder when we arrived. They had coleslaw, chicken, ribs, beans, corn bread and blueberry cake besides the salmon. It wasn't the best but wasn't the worst either. There is a small waterfall that you can walk to to take pictures. We were ready to go after we ate....I had shopping to do! They have a couple of old school buses that take you back to town and or the cruise ship. Of course you have to sit and wait for the bus to load up before they will leave. All in all it was worth the money. Would I do it again? No, once was enough.;)

Thank you for posting this info. Everything I read says they have their own transportation. I am going to have a rental and wonder if I am able to just show up without using their transportation? I am now thinking that may be we will just do the panning for gold and not the bake. I am not hearing too many say they liked it too much.

Thanks again for your help.

Here is a picture of Klondike Keith helping us pan for gold. The property that he took us to had to be private property as he had to unlock the gate when we got there. I will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have!:)

kkk.jpg.df5a571ae65b60b148e88436e16eb683.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a picture of Klondike Keith helping us pan for gold. The property that he took us to had to be private property as he had to unlock the gate when we got there. I will be happy to answer any questions anyone might have!:)

From this picture, it looks like the panning is just from buckets. Is that correct?? I got the impression that the gold panning excursions were panning in a river. Do they have excursions that pan for "wild" gold so to speak and not buckets of dirt "seeded" with gold?

From this picture, it looks like the panning is just from buckets. Is that correct?? I got the impression that the gold panning excursions were panning in a river. Do they have excursions that pan for "wild" gold so to speak and not buckets of dirt "seeded" with gold?

I go over to Gold Creek to hike now and then and have watched this tour. They have the big containers set up to make it easier to pan. You can pan in the creek if you want, and there's always a few people down there trying. But you'd need waterproof shoes and good knees/back to do it for any amount of time.

If you're lucky, a recreational panner will be out there and you can see that he/she's wearing at least high rubber boots, but sometimes all the way up to full wetsuit. But they also pull mud from out in the creek and bring it to some container to shift through.

Now, I'm sure, since they guarantee that you'll find gold, that the sweet old sourdough's dropped a nugget or two into the vat, but you have to find it. ;)

This tour gets you up to one of the prettiest spots in Juneau, IMO, and it's not expensive: http://goldbelttours.com/travel/day_trips/juneau/city_glacier.html I'd check with the driver first, but the area's beautiful and worth strolling around to take photos and explore some old mining relics. Even if you don't take the mine tour, the woods around building holds little railcars and track, the creek is fun rock hounding, the trees are full of songbirds, and there's an old mine shaft to peer into up on the parking lot.

Archived