Help! Son hurt!!!

mykidsno1fan

I agree with those who advise you to go with what the Doctor ordered. If you have plenty of cash/credit to toss around to the Ship's Clinic in case his wound gets badly infected, then let him do what he wants. Do you have trip insurance?

I think what we are going to do is get the waterproof cast to cover his leg for the snorkeling excursion which is at the end of the week so it'll have at least a week to scab over. We aren't going to let him swim in the pool on the ship. And the doctor gave us antibiotics to take with us on the ship in case it does get infected while we are gone on the ship. And no, I didn't get trip insurance, how could that have helped with this? We're first time cruisers and new to all of this stuff.

What happend to his leg is he was running today and a kid in front of him stepped on a metal plate covering a pit and it flipped back and hit my son's shin. It basically sliced off the skin and went a little deep. There can't be stitches to it because it's just an open wound. It's about 1.5" wide and 5-6" long. I really appreciate all the advice. I know we should be following the doctor's orders but sometimes I feel they are way too cautious because of the high liability. I would never do anything to harm my son's health but I figured there were products out there that he might be able to use. Thanks for all your advice!
I'm always amazed when people go to the doctor for his/her advice and then discount that same advice. :confused:

im amazed at what little things people run to the doctor for:)......back in da ole days my dad woulda just spit on it and sent me on my way:)......our current society has created a bunch of sissy, tv addicted, junk food eating, rugrats..........

im amazed at what little things people run to the doctor for:)......back in da ole days my dad woulda just spit on it and sent me on my way:)......our current society has created a bunch of sissy, tv addicted, junk food eating, rugrats..........

Robby, Robby, Robby, will you ever learn?? :rolleyes:

First of all you took him to a doctor. Please listen to him. I would be very afraid of letting my child get in the water. I know it would disappointing for him. For fear of infection no matter how careful you are I would listen to the doctor.

Most kids are not like that at all. While there are a few who make some look bad kids for the most part are pretty good. My son is not at all like that, 1) he just ran in the aau jr. olympics last week and came 3rd in one race and 5th in the other, 2) he runs 8-10 miles a day, 3) he rarely watches tv, 4) doesn't drink soda (because he is a runner), 5) has cut out most junk food because it affects his training, 6) reads his bible every day and basically has given me and his father no problems at all even during his teenage years. Alot of his friends that he runs with are the same way.

Parenting choices or lack of discipline are the reasons for the problems that kids have today.

I didn't get trip insurance, how could that have helped with this? We're first time cruisers and new to all of this stuff.
If your son should get an infection while on the ship (or anyone else gets sick) and you have to have treatment in the infirmary or worse...helicoptered off the ship, you will wish you had trip insurance. Evacuation can cost upwards of $20,000, not to mention hospital stays, hotel stays for the family and flights back home. We didn't get insurance for our first few cruises, but now we do.

I still recommend talking your plans over with your doctor, but I am sure your son will do just fine with the precautions you are taking. Your son can sit on the edge of the pool to cool off, without getting his leg wet.

Go and have fun!

I am a hospital based clinical microbiologist. What your doctor is afraid of is a very nasty bacteria called Vibrio that thrives in warm ocean water. As you probably know, bacteria are really small and can penetrate almost anything you try to use to protect the wounds. If this bacteria were to infect your son's leg, it could rapidly move into his blood stream and could be fatal. We have seen two fatallities this summer at our hospital from this infection.

OK, here's my opinion for what it is worth. If your son is otherwise healthy, put him on antibiotics, cover the wound properly and let him go swimming. The high risk is for the immunosuppressed population of which there are plenty. Do a search on vibrio, there is lots of info out there.

It is unfortunate that this has happened but why take a chance of his leg not healing well or becoming infected?

He will be disappointed but if you have the right attitude so will he.

Good luck whatever you do.

Norma

OK - Your Cruising Microbiologist is back. "Fatal Smatel" and put him on antibiotics and go for it - You can not tell if a particular antibiotic will be effective until you test it against the particular agent causing the infection - so just putting your son on an antibiotic may have no positve effect - many bacteria are resistant to many of our infectious agents at this time - Most HMO's and Insurance programs encorage your physician to use an inexpensive, out dated and sometimes ineffective antibiotic until testing shows that it is not working - also antibiotics have no effect whatsoever against viruses. I do agree the probability of a severe or fatal infection is quite small - Let's say you are given 100 bullets (99 are blanks and one is real) - you are asked to select just one and put it in a gun - put the gun to your son's head and pull the triger - Would you do it - If your answer is yes then by all means, let him go snokeling.

I've been reading about Vibrio because I live on the Island. It's quite a scary thing.

Perhaps the OP should check out the Texas newspapers (Corpus Christi Caller-Times, Victoria paper, etc.) to find out what a hazard getting into warm saltwater with open wounds can be.

People are DYING from this bacteria, and it's so fast acting. By the time they get back from foreign ports it may be too late to save his leg.

Vibro is a scare tactic here... IF it was true, every person who even nicked themselves shaving would run the same risk of catching it. Am I wrong?

Steve

There would be a HUGE difference in the body's immune system response to the amount of bacteria intering through a small shaving cut and the amount that could enter through a wound of several square inches as described. I have a pretty strong immune system (untreated cuts just do not get infected) and I would chance exposure with a little protection, but NO WAY could I recommend that anyone else do so.

Even if the doctor felt that the risk was almost nil he would have to recommend against the activity. If he gave any encouragement and an infection did occur, he's liable. (And after he loses the election, John Edwards will be back in the doctor suing business)

Ooops, I probably shouldn't have said that, but....:D

I agree with those who say "don't risk it". The waterproofing methods are probably OK for taking a bath or shower but not for submerged swimming in the ocean. Sea water is far from sterile, it is teaming with bacteria, protozoans and other life forms. Your son's wounds are very vunerable to infection and serious complications could set in if exposed, even just a little, to sea water.

There are glassbottom boat tours to see coral and fish. That would be a much safer alternative.

It is very true that anyone with even a slight skin wound could be infected with Vibrio - However, the more significant the wound - the greater the chance of infection - I think we are getting a bit off the tract here - remember the original post said that her son's physician said "NO".

I never thought I would sort of agree with Robby on this, but in a way, he is right. Back in the day, we didn't have the drug-resistance bacteria we have today. Why? Well, there are too many people out there who will go get antibiotics for a little sniffle instead of letting their natural immune system fight it off, thus creating mutant bacteria wise to our antibiotics and are capable of fighting them off. PLUS, the overuse of antibiotics in our society have left many an immune system handicapped. If you think about it, we have junk that we didn't have 20 years ago. With the wonders of modern medicine, we have also created a monster...actually, a bunch of them.

I have to also disagree with those out there who think a scab is a suitable defense. Uhhh...NO! When scabs get wet, they fall apart, they become vulnerable to outside influence. A wetsuit is not going to keep the wound dry. AND, while we may cover wounds and allow people to bathe, that is usually a shower where the water can run off the wound and not allow to pool, and the water is at least clean.

Again, I say follow the doc's advice. I don't think his opinion was conservative only to cover his own arse. It was for your son's sake. There's plenty of other excursions to do besides snorkeling. Heck, you can save the snorkel trip for your next cruise! :D

We were on the Conquest this summer. A little girl had her leg in a cast following surgery. Her mom purchased what looked like a balloon, but was really sturdy. It fit over her leg and not a drop of water was inside. She went on the Stingray tour and was in the water for some time. Try a medical supply place and see if they have any suggestions. Good luck.

Cathy

My dad had surgery on his foot a couple of years ago. The doctor told us to go to a medical supply store and get this thing he slip over his foot and up on his leg. Looks like a big boot. It had a vacuum hand pump built it...it was small pump and it vacuum sealed his leg so he could get in water. Worked like a charm and not a drop got in. Just use your best judgement on what to do.

Archived