getting deposit back

sea*siren

I know EXACTLY how the TA did it! TA's can book a group of rooms when the price for the cruise is low. As long as deposits are given by certain deadlines, those rooms are held at the low price even if the Carnival listed price goes up. Rooms not reserved in this fashion can only be sold at the price listed at the time of booking. Booking a group of rooms of 8 or more also grants the TA choices of group amenities. The $100 on-board credit for each cabin is one of the amenities able to be chosen. I can't believe I didn't figure that out before, but I also can't believe that Carnival rep tried to argue about it. How rude!

I think this is exactly what happened.

there was supposed to be a shift to level pricing.
From what I understand, travel agents are not supposed to be allowed to give a lower price than Carnival offers.

The level pricing only refers to advertised rates. And was implemented to keep the big, online agencies from pricing out the BnM, mom & pop agencies.

Carnival doesn't really care what TA's are charging, they're making money regardless.

Which makes it even weirder that a Carnival rep would get upset. Must have been a newbie.

for anyone else who might have a situation like mine...

The deposit refund was in my account this morning. So it took three days.

And I checked with my TA, the reason for the great price and on board credit WAS because it is a group rate. So the agent bought a block of rooms to sell and the people who buy get the perks that come from the group booking.

So long story short, all that unpleasantness is over, and we're now happily booked in a balcony cabin on the Victory!

First cruise and we're getting the balcony...we'll be ruined from now on! :D

Archived