New Journey & Quest Itineraries for 2008/2009/2010

Andy

Hi Everyone !

I understand that new itineraries for Journey and Quest will be open for sale starting on Friday May 18th. I do not have the details, but 2008 for Journey includes Europe, and Quest's 2008/2009 season includes Asia.

Also, Journey will be the ship doing the World Cruise. Date shows as 2009/2010. It also says : over 100 days, 50 ports and 21 countries. Starts on the West Coast, and ends on the East Coast USA. Bookings to open later this year.

I hope you find this information helpful !

Journey's itinerary modules were loaded overnight for Europe.

So it IS goodbye Bermuda for AZA/CEL.

Shoot, I'm losing AZA sales to Oceania in Europe for 08. You can't beat Oceania's pricing structure for 08 Europe.

Just what we need in Europe. More tonnage at exhorbitant pricing....

Journey's itinerary modules were loaded overnight for Europe.

So it IS goodbye Bermuda for AZA/CEL.

Shoot, I'm losing AZA sales to Oceania in Europe for 08. You can't beat Oceania's pricing structure for 08 Europe.

Just what we need in Europe. More tonnage at exhorbitant pricing....

Hi Ocngypz !

You are so right (as usual). I do not understand this move for Journey, as there is more than enough ships in Europe in 2008, including Quest. Why would Celebrity want to lose a market that they have spent years building up, and just give it away to the competition ? It makes no sense. But then again, Celebrity seems to be doing the very same thing in the Caribbean.

This is yet another move, that really makes you scratch your head regarding some of the decisions Celebrity/Azamara is making.

Is it definite that neither the Journey or the Quest will be sailing to Bermuda from New York in 2008? Celebrity (Azamara) is one of the few cruise lines that has two ships ideally suited for docking in both St. George and Hamilton and they will use them in Europe where any size ship is suitable? Makes no sense to me.

So Az will not be doing Bermuda. Will any of the X ships be picking up that run?

Hi Nutrioso !

If Journey is not doing Bermuda, and all signs point this way.... then I believe that Celebrity/Azamara are done with Bermuda after this season, for now anyway. All of Celebrity's ships are spoken for in 2008, and into early 2009.

I seem to recall reading a long time ago, that Celebrity had a contract with Bermuda which I recall was ending soon. Perhaps they opted not to renew it.

Is it definite that neither the Journey or the Quest will be sailing to Bermuda from New York in 2008? Celebrity (Azamara) is one of the few cruise lines that has two ships ideally suited for docking in both St. George and Hamilton and they will use them in Europe where any size ship is suitable? Makes no sense to me.

Hi Dolphins !

I suppose something could change, but if you connect the dots, it doesnt look like Bermuda is going to happen. However, nothing official has been announced by Celebrity or Azamara. I truly hope I am wrong though.

Maybe the Bermuda runs simply don't have the yields (profitability) RCL/Celebrity is looking for . Full ships do not necessarily mean profits just as full planes don't mean the airlines are making lots of money.

Maybe the Bermuda runs simply don't have the yields (profitability) RCL/Celebrity is looking for . Full ships do not necessarily mean profits just as full planes don't mean the airlines are making lots of money.

I think you've got it. The cruise lines that are in Caribbean most/all year are, for the most part, the lowest cost, mass market lines such as Carnival, NCL, and RCI. (I'm not even 100% sure whether or not NCL is in the Caribbean all year.) Princess is there year-round but in a very limited way (one ship). It wouldn't surprise me if even Caribbean Princess were eventually redeployed outside her namesake region for part of the year.

Same applies to Bermuda. Regent abandoned the island after 2005. Now that Celebrity/Azamara appears to be pulling out as well, the itinerary will be left to the lower cost, mass market lines just as in the Caribbean.

The premium, super-premium, and luxury lines will mostly be in Europe, Asia, and possibly Australia because the margins are significantly higher. A few are still in Alaska, but if I'm reading the signs correctly, Alaska revenues are softer this year than has been the case in a long time. So the more upscale lines may scale back even here in future years.

Shareholder value is the top priority for these businesses; itineraries will be adjusted as needed to produce the highest returns.

Rich

The premium, super-premium, and luxury lines will mostly be in Europe, Asia, and possibly Australia because the margins are significantly higher.

I'm not sure how long that is going to last. There are a huge number of decidedly non-premium ships in Europe as well - look at the huge growth in Costa's tonnage, plus MSC, plus RCI/princess/carnival putting big ships into Europe, plus forthcoming new ships like P&O Ventura (Crown Princess class), etc.

All this is going to cause increasing problems. First, I think the pressure on destinations will increase to the point where their capacity is exceeded: you can only get so many coaches along the Amalfi drive in an hour, for example, or people into Pompeii. And don't think about places like Santorini.... Capacity limits are going to be a problem.

Then there are the costs. Going from conversations with americans last summer on Galaxy, a lot were finding the flight & accomodation costs of getting to and staying in europe hard. At that point most of them were on cruises booked up to a year in advance, i.e. before the exchange rates went so unfavourable. Exchange rates may reverse, but there again they may not, so the safest thing to assume is that they'll stay the same. This may start putting american cruisers off cruising in europe.

Overall, therefore, I think it's possible that the continual growth in capacity, plus the continuing high costs in europe, may push the lines to the point where they have to start seriously reducing prices - at which point the high margins disappear.

Unfortunately, the greatest growth potential is terms of numbers of cruisers and revenue is amongst Europeans, not North Americans. Starting in April with eb transatlantics and ending with the returns in Dec, Europe has now become the longest cruise season with the most tonnage.

I think it's going to stink to be a North American agent.

Unfortunately, the greatest growth potential is terms of numbers of cruisers and revenue is amongst Europeans, not North Americans. Starting in April with eb transatlantics and ending with the returns in Dec, Europe has now become the longest cruise season with the most tonnage.

I think it's going to stink to be a North American agent.

Hi Ocngypz !

For the next year or 2, while I hope you are wrong, I am afraid you are going to be right. Also, if you are a passenger that doesnt (or cannot) care to sail to Europe, there is going to be very slim pickings, especially if a 100,000+ ton ship is not your cup of tea. I enjoy cruising very much, but I do worry just how many options will be out there for us.

On a positive note, I strongly feel that every line is overdeploying in Europe, and once they get a sense that some ships bookings are very low, perhaps there is a chance that some ships will get moved back to the USA long before they get to Europe. 2008/2009 is a long ways away, and I feel there will be adjustments made, once the lines see that they have over-reacted. I hope I am right about that. Time will tell.

I just looked at the press release. Although some of these itineraries sound wonderful, they do not fit our current preferences or our schedule. Once they finish their originally announced itineraries, neither Journey nor Quest will touch a North American port for the foreseeable future. Clearly, Azamara is heading in an entirely different direction than Celebrity. I finally understand the reasoning behind the last minute name change.

Marlee and I had very pleasant experiences aboard two ships only a bit larger than the R-class (Seven Seas Mariner and Seven Seas Voyager), so we do intend to try one sometime in the future. The way Azamara is setting up itineraries, though, it's more likely that we will eventually do a Regatta Caribbean cruise in February or March 2010 than cruise on Journey or Quest. In the meantime, there are plenty other ships on the sea. Happy cruising!

I just looked at the press release. Although some of these itineraries sound wonderful, they do not fit our current preferences or our schedule. Once they finish their originally announced itineraries, neither Journey nor Quest will touch a North American port for the foreseeable future. Clearly, Azamara is heading in an entirely different direction than Celebrity. I finally understand the reasoning behind the last minute name change.

Marlee and I had very pleasant experiences aboard two ships only a bit larger than the R-class (Seven Seas Mariner and Seven Seas Voyager), so we do intend to try one sometime in the future. The way Azamara is setting up itineraries, though, it's more likely that we will eventually do a Regatta Caribbean cruise in February or March 2010 than cruise on Journey or Quest. In the meantime, there are plenty other ships on the sea. Happy cruising!

Hi Rich !

It's fairly obvious that barring any changes, Azamara ships wont be in our region for quite some time, once Journey & Quest's innaugural itineraries are completed. I somewhat understand it, as the demand is overseas right now. At the same time... it is a little frustrating, as Celebrity and Azamara are giving up on their loyal customers who prefer to sail closer to home. Giving up on Bermuda, IMHO will prove to be a mistake. I strongly feel that either Azamara or Celebrity should have 1 ship in Bermuda seasonally. While I am disappointed, it bothers me much more on the Celebrity side then Azamara, since Azamara only has 2 ships, versus Celebrity's 7 ships.

It sure looks like an Oceania Cruise will be in our plans in 2008. As you said, plenty of other ships on the sea. We can always spend our money elsewhere.

On Azamara's web site, it says,

Check back soon for our remarkable itineraries through Asia. Itineraries will be open for sale on May 18, 2007.

I'm assuming this means that they are open for booking through TA's today, but wondered if anyone knows when they'll be posted on line?

I strongly feel that either Azamara or Celebrity should have 1 ship in Bermuda seasonally. While I am disappointed, it bothers me much more on the Celebrity side then Azamara, since Azamara only has 2 ships, versus Celebrity's 7 ships.

If you were to look at this from a logical standpoint - why would you pay for a luxury cruise to nowhere which is basically what the Bermuda run is. When you are spending the sort of money that Azamara would like to command it does not involve parking in port for four or five days and then driving back to New York.

On Azamara's web site, it says,

I'm assuming this means that they are open for booking through TA's today, but wondered if anyone knows when they'll be posted on line?

Hi Susan !

Most all of the 2008/2009 itineraries have been showing up on the websites 2-3 days after the press release. I do believe they are open for booking.

If you were to look at this from a logical standpoint - why would you pay for a luxury cruise to nowhere

I do not consider Bermuda "nowhere". I have sailed to Bermuda most every year since the 50's. Even with Azamara's price points, it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a week at a 4* hotel in Bermuda plus flight and food during the summer.

The remaining ships for 08 on the Bermuda run 7 night itineraries.... I wouldn't step foot on. Small cabins, crummy food, nickel and diming.....and sub-par service. I am, of course, speaking of NCL.

Hi Susan !

Most all of the 2008/2009 itineraries have been showing up on the websites 2-3 days after the press release. I do believe they are open for booking.

Only a couple of the GDS systems (Amadeus being one of them) currently have the feeds for the new itinaries.. and pricing. Cruise Director has some, but not all.

Journey's Europe itineraries are fairly ho-hum. Nothing too terribly exciting.

Quest's Europe itineraries are more interesting.

The Asia itineraries... pretty much copy cat Asia itineraries PCL has done in the past.

A word on trying to do your own pricing online. There are some bugs. The new Azamara pricing is a bit more complicated. There are two basic rate codes.. without air.. and with air. I can see what's happening in the GDS systems I use... the online booking functions I tried this afternoon... were coming up with strange pricing. I'd recommend calling in for accurate rates if you are so inclined to book direct.

If you were to look at this from a logical standpoint - why would you pay for a luxury cruise to nowhere which is basically what the Bermuda run is.

Bermuda is a beautiful island with beautiful beaches. It's safe and easy to travel around on your own by bus and on foot.... and has lots of interesting places to explore. With the ship docked in the very convenient locations of downtown St. Georges and Hamilton, you can return to the ship throughout the day .... i.e. if you want to sightsee in the morning, come back for lunch and then head to the beach, it's quite easy to do. Having the luxury of staying and dining on board Journey during your days there would be a highlight. I'm sorry to see that Journey isn't headed there next year.

the online booking functions I tried this afternoon... were coming up with strange pricing. I'd recommend calling in for accurate rates if you are so inclined to book direct.

Hi Ocngypz: I booked Quest (June/08) through my TA in March - but yesterday when another poster mentioned increased prices, I checked prices on line and noticed the glitches. I wondered what would happen if someone booked at the price of $11,000 for cruise (for two) plus $102 taxes, with the total price of $9300 showing up. I guess a phone call would follow to let you know what you really owed them :)

Hi Ocngypz: I booked Quest (June/08) through my TA in March - but yesterday when another poster mentioned increased prices, I checked prices on line and noticed the glitches. I wondered what would happen if someone booked at the price of $11,000 for cruise (for two) plus $102 taxes, with the total price of $9300 showing up. I guess a phone call would follow to let you know what you really owed them :)

What's been happening with the online booking prices is that the air credit for cruise only passengers hasn't been calculating. When I'm in reservations just looking at general cruise pricing air is included in the cruise portion. It isn't until I actually select the category and select with air.. or without air.. I get the correct pricing.

What's been happening with the online booking prices is that the air credit for cruise only passengers hasn't been calculating. When I'm in reservations just looking at general cruise pricing air is included in the cruise portion. It isn't until I actually select the category and select with air.. or without air.. I get the correct pricing.

Thanks Ocngypz - I called Celebrity earlier today and discovered that the problem was the air credit not being reflected in the total price.

It looks as if pricing has come down since I booked in March ... will pursue it with my TA. Part of the reduction is probably based on the value of the Cdn $ vs U.S. $ ( I only get Cdn prices on line) ... but in talking to the Celebrity Rep, it sounds as if U.S. pricing has dropped a bit as well.

Are there any Panama Canal itineraries with Azamara that begin or end in California?

I looked into the Miami-ACAPULCO itineraries coming up this year and am not enthused, to say the least, and the ship can't even make it up to California in 14 days? These must be very slooow ships. Regarding speed, I have seen the speed listed as 22 on one site and 18.5 on another. Which is it? And is it MAX speed or AVG speed?

The air routing to/from Acapulco stinks, too. I don't want to fly anything other than DIRECT at a minimum from Acapulco-SFO, and preferably NONSTOP. Nada.

Re Panama Canal...is there any word whether Azamara will forego the Cabanas that are raising such a ruckus on Oceania?

Are there any Panama Canal itineraries with Azamara that begin or end in California?

I looked into the Miami-ACAPULCO itineraries coming up this year and am not enthused, to say the least, and the ship can't even make it up to California in 14 days? These must be very slooow ships. Regarding speed, I have seen the speed listed as 22 on one site and 18.5 on another. Which is it? And is it MAX speed or AVG speed?

The air routing to/from Acapulco stinks, too. I don't want to fly anything other than DIRECT at a minimum from Acapulco-SFO, and preferably NONSTOP. Nada.

Hi Gillianrose !

All of the Panama Canal sailings are either MIA - Acapulco or the reverse itinerary. Sorry it does not work for you.

Archived