A Roll Call Question for You CC Vets

I know this is not the place for this question, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one. :confused:

Based on your vast experience, what is the best way to drum-up attendance at a Roll Call? I've finally figured out how to add a signature at the end of your posts, AND how to create a countdown clock (my Mother will be SO proud:D !), but is there anything else one can do to attract more attention?

We're cruising on the AOS departing July 29, 2007. Since I joined Roll Call in February there has been about six posts, and three of them were mine! There are Roll Calls for cruises in 2008 that have nearly 10 times as many posts, and some that took place in 2006 that are still getting hits. I'm getting very jealous:rolleyes: !

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide.

I know this is not the place for this question, but I couldn't find a more appropriate one. :confused:

Based on your vast experience, what is the best way to drum-up attendance at a Roll Call? I've finally figured out how to add a signature at the end of your posts, AND how to create a countdown clock (my Mother will be SO proud:D !), but is there anything else one can do to attract more attention?

We're cruising on the AOS departing July 29, 2007. Since I joined Roll Call in February there has been about six posts, and three of them were mine! There are Roll Calls for cruises in 2008 that have nearly 10 times as many posts, and some that took place in 2006 that are still getting hits. I'm getting very jealous:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, you are diong everything you can. Some roll call threads are full of participants wanting to get to know each other before cruise, others are very quiet. Have you signed up for the official meet and mingle? How many others are signed up?

Good luck getting others to post!!

Have you done a search on the Roll Call Forum to make sure there isn't another thread for your cruise? Sometimes there will be two threads going at the same time and one will be very active and the other very quiet.

You can check the status of your M&M and see how many have signed up. That might give you an idea of how many CC folks are on your cruise.

...I checked the confirmed M&M list, and my cruise isn't even listed there:( !

How many folks do you need to get the M&M ball rolling? We've only had about 6 different posters so far, and a couple of them haven't posted since, like, January. I'd hate to put the AOS crew though any trouble and have only our party of four show up! I probably wouldn't get a clean towel or an extra dessert for the rest of the cruise! :rolleyes:

If I register for a M&M, is that enough to get it on the confirmed M&M list?

I believe you need 25 confirmed, before it's an official M&M, but you can always do your own with fewer.

Also alot, of the busy roll call threads, are full of people who have cruised with each other several times, and keep in touch through the roll call.

25 people need to sign up for the M&M for it to be on the confirmed list...

I've been part of rollcalls that have been awesome.. we just got back from a cruise where we had a great group and it was a lot of fun. There were several people we met that we'll probably stay in touch with... (Hi Emilygrace! :) )

I've also been part of rollcalls where there is very little activity.

We're doing a B2B in January... for the first leg of the B2B, there is a large group of CC'rs who are a lot of fun... I'm really enjoying chatting with them and am looking forward to meeting them on the cruise. For the second leg, I'm on a rollcall with a total of about 3 people and there is a post every month or two... You just never know...

Things may pick up in the last month or so before the cruise... I've had that happen too... For about 8 months before the cruise there was me and one other person on the rollcall. We actually each posted about once a week, so it got to the point that I really felt like I got to know him pretty well... About 6 weeks before the cruise, we had several more people join in... It turned into a pretty good roll call.

You're definitely doing what you can to advertise the roll call... And you'll have a good time on the ship regardless of whether more people join you on the roll call or not... :)

I've had the same experience as the other posters. Some cruises have had very lively roll calls, and some have had nothing. For instance, the one I'm on now has had very little activity, even though the first post was over a year ago.

Add a link to your roll call thread so that people who are interested can click and go directly to it. Otherwise, you're doing all you can.

Since CC members only make up about 1% of all cruiseline passengers, sometimes it's tough to find others from your sailing on these boards. We can help ourselves by encouraging more cruisers to join. ;)

Host Karen-

I don't know quite how to phrase this so that my question makes sense. But I'm wondering how you made the links in your signature where the part that you click just states "here" rather than having the whole copied and pasted link (like the link to the review in my signature). I'd love to know how to do that and clean up my signature a little bit!

I hadn't thought about adding a link to my own signature, but what a great idea! I, too, need some instructions.

I have noticed as others have that some roll calls take off like gangbusters, and others just languish. I wonder if the itinerary also has something to do with it, because the two that I've participated in that flourished were a transatlantic last fall and an upcoming two week cruise through the eastern Med and Black Sea while 7 day cruises haven't drawn as much attention.

We are on the Freedom on 2/3/08 and there are only 2 of us on the roll call.

Maybe, an unpopular time to cruise!!??

Actually that is an extremely popular time to cruise, I am on the 2/3/08 Explorer and that roll call has over 6700+ posts and is VERY active. But my roll call for the Serenade to Alaska in August is very slow and since it is only 2 1/2 months away I don't think we are going to have enough for an M & M.

Add a link to your roll call thread so that people who are interested can click and go directly to it. ;)

Hi Karen, and thanks for the advice, but I'm not quite clear on what you mean. Are you saying I should register for the M&M, and then add a link to the Roll Call thread that sends you to the M&M sign-up page?

Also, if I can figure out how to do it, can I add a link to the Roll Call thread to my signature?

Thanks again for your help.

We had over 25 signed up for the Meet and Mingle

Confirmation date place and time for the event on the RCI website

A very active board with over 1400 posts

Yet the Meet and Mingle was cancelled with the cruise line stating that not enough people had signed up for the M & M.

I told everyone where and when the event was and to meet there even if we don't get an invitation (first cruise so I did not know there would be an invite) We had over 20 show up. Many did not show because of no invite or were getting ready for the formal night since the M & M as at 5 and the formal first seating was at 6.

We all had a good time at our informal M&M and ran into many of those that did not attend throughout the cruise.

Here is some advice:

As you read CC.com check out the cruise dates of the posters. If you find one on your cruise remind them to join the M&M. Join some conversations about your cruise ship and mention your M&M board and that you still need a few more to get confirmation.

Other than that, hope for the best and have a back up plan. It is better to be pro-active and set up your own party instead of hoping the ship will have one for you.

Rick:cool:

AOS 29 April 2007

For those asking about adding links:

When in the "reply to thread" box, click on the Earth/link icon (above the reply box - it will display a pop-up when the curser is over it that says "Insert Link"). Paste your link in the prompt box and click on "Okay". This will insert the link into your post leaving the "label" highlighted. You can then type whatever you want in the highlighted area thereby labeling the link. (Hope that makes sense.)

Same theory for adding a link to your sig.

Archived