Fur Shopping in Alaska

F5Loar

Okay I did the search for "furs" and the information was 3 years old. Can anyone bring me up to date on the best place to buy furs in Alaska and which towns? And is it really discount buying for furs in Alaska? I mean our local fine department store will run their furs 50% to 75% after Christmas sale.

Aren't they the same furs? Even with not paying a sales tax in Alaska does fur buying in Alaska really save you big bucks?

Okay I did the search for "furs" and the information was 3 years old. Can anyone bring me up to date on the best place to buy furs in Alaska and which towns? And is it really discount buying for furs in Alaska? I mean our local fine department store will run their furs 50% to 75% after Christmas sale.

Aren't they the same furs? Even with not paying a sales tax in Alaska does fur buying in Alaska really save you big bucks?

No place I have found in Alaska is a discount over shopping in the NYC fur district. I love furs and have NEVER found a bargain in Alaska, even though I am in Alaska every year at the end of cruise season. The stores that cater to cruise pax just ship the furs to Aspen, Vail, etc. They all have stores in ski resort areas.

And in the middle of the cruise season, the prices are sky high in the cruise ports.

I second the Alaska Fur Exchange in Anchorage. Awesome store...

Wow!!! Do I feel sorry for the trappers that sell furs to this store!!!

Their prices are astronomical for raw furs. My FIL makes all his living trapping and fishing in Iowa and Minnesota. I just called him to verify. A badger fur, tanned and ready in Iowa-$45.00. A coyote-$35-60.

I bought wolf skins in Wiseman, Alaska for about $200 each (some a little more, some a little less, depending on size). They were not completely tanned, but they were cleaned and stretched.

The price at this store is $350-650.00. It does not cost that much to tan the hides (about $30 for a good size skin). So this store is making a TREMENDOUS markup on the backs of the trappers. A real shame for an Alaska owned store.

You might also visit David Green furs in downtown Anchorage. Very old and reputable company, family run. Former manager (son of founder) used to hold the scariest standing poker game in town; he placed very highly in the world series of poker one year. Being invited to that game (I never was but best friend went once) was like one of those "be careful what you wish for" kind of experiences.

So this store is making a TREMENDOUS markup on the backs of the trappers. A real shame for an Alaska owned store.

I dunno if it's a great shame. That's about par for the course for many goods. Think your $300 golf driver costs anywhere close to $300 to produce? Think your $40,000 SUV costs anywhere close to half that much to manufacture? Think a $1000 Gucci purse costs even a small fraction to make?

You might also visit David Green furs in downtown Anchorage. Very old and reputable company, family run. Former manager (son of founder) used to hold the scariest standing poker game in town; he placed very highly in the world series of poker one year. Being invited to that game (I never was but best friend went once) was like one of those "be careful what you wish for" kind of experiences.

Yes and he was recently caught at an after hours game by the police. Know they were in trouble just don't know the outcome.

And I too recommend them. I had my first fur parka at 5 and then 28 years later I got my next fur coat from them and then about a year after that one more :eek:

Susan in Anchorage :)

Go over to Alaska Fur Exchange. But a caribou hide and cut a round hole in the center of it. Put your head through it and next thing you know everyone will want one. You should be able to get a good caribou hide for under $200.

Archived