Balcony with a toddler?

rmartin

I have a 6 year old plus two teens and an 11 year old and I STILL am concerned about the balcony, lol.

We are leaving on the 31st on the Wonder and as luck would have it, we have 2 cabins that adjoin with a "navigators" balcony. It is simply an enclosed balcony with a very large, open air port hole. You can see video clips of it on certain websites. I think there is a link on the Dreams Unlimited website of it. I feel relieved with this set up and those that have sailed say the view is still wonderful, even with the porthole.

I think our cabins are 6642 and 6640.

I have read other places that there is a "trick" to opening the balcony doors as well. Hope I can figure that one out! LOL!

You might want to check out that Nav. balcony and see if that is an option for you.

As a mom it is a given that you will worry! But there are things you can do to make sure you have done all you can to keep your darling kids safe.

We traveled last year with our 6 year-old DD in a balcony cabin and didn't have any trouble. The doors have a lock and are somewhat heavy and require quite a push to open, so I would imagine a smaller child would really have a hard time getting it open.

That said, you know your child best. Do you have a Houdini child who can escape any playpen, open any door, climb on top of your refrigerator and still manage to figure out the DVD player? Or is your child unlikely to even be interested in the balcony? I would suggest if you do get a balcony cabin and you are concerned because you have a Houdini kid, just make sure you never leave your child unsupervised, ie. don't think you can take a quick shower because they are napping because you know as soon as you take your clothes off they will wake up and be out the door! :eek: I have also read that some people will take a bungee cord and rig up the door so the kids are slowed down in their attempts to escape. Again, you know your kid.

IMHO that is the great joy of cruising with Disney--the kids want to get up to the club as soon as they wake up. Chances are if they are in the room it will be to sleep!

So, if you can afford a balcony, go for it. You will enjoy it. But if you are worried in the slightest, go with the inside cabin. They are plenty roomy and you may find it worth the peace of mind.

Happy Sails!

I had a balcony when my daughter was 18-months old and never had a worry as she was never out of Mom, Dads or Grandma's sight.

Next cruise she will be 4 with a 2-year old brother and there was no way I was getting a balcony! Those two would find a way to make things disappear over the side ;)

I understand how you feel , no matter how old they are , you still worry .

We are taking our first cruise with the kids in April. We normally get a balcony cabin for ourselves and were thinking of getting adjoining balcony cabins for us and the kids.

My DW was a little worried about the kids having a balcony ................Mind you they will be 19,16,and 15 when we cruise :)

I told the kids about her fears and they have been teaseing her about it since

"Do you think we are stupid and will jump off?"

"Can you cut our sandwich for us, we may accidently plunge the knife in our hearts"

"We better not walk to school, I may get the urge to run in the path of a bus."

*LOL* You know what wise guys kids can be :)

Oh gosh, I hadn't even thought about this. We're traveling on the Wonder in November with our DS who will have just turned two. I thought all the balconies had plastic guards on them? Or do the cabin balconies not have those?

No balcony in my future trip. I just chose a Category Nine Oceanview. I wouldn't get any sleep on that ship keeping one eye open to make sure my daughter didn't try to sneak out there.

Heck, the one time we stayed at the Contemporary in WDW, I was wondering if she was smart enough to figure out the lock on that door.

Now on Royal Caribbean, the locks for the sliding balcony doors are way up high. I'm sure Disney is also be smart enough to install such safeguards.

Just a thought .. having never been on a cruise yet with a child.

But I would think that just being on a ship there is of course inherit danger with children.. especially on decks that are exposed to the ocean, let alone cabins with balconies. I know I'd be worried any where my little 2yr old guy would be regurdless of where on the ship he was unless he was supervised.

That said I'd go ahead and book the Baclony, as I think the fresh air and view would compansate any additional alertness I'd have to have in the cabin. The fresh air might even hep if seasickness takes hold. Besides with a young one you have to be alert anyway for un-baby proofed stuff in any cabin.

I'd also give him some ground rules about the balcony & ships edge..he may not fully understand (or pay attention) to them but some rules will stick. Even as they gets older I'd do it . They may get sarcastic, but it still puts the seed in their head to take care.

Tough decision though ...Good luck!

I've cruised on Magic with a balcony and TWO young kids and I can tell ya, I had a problem opening the door let alone my kids...lol.

Every cruise we go on we get balconies...as the kids get older we just increase the balcony rules (they are now 3 and 7).

We've never had any problems with them.

I've cruised on Magic with a balcony and TWO young kids and I can tell ya, I had a problem opening the door let alone my kids...lol.

Every cruise we go on we get balconies...as the kids get older we just increase the balcony rules (they are now 3 and 7).

We've never had any problems with them.

Do the balconies have plexiglass over the bars?

I haven't been on my trip yet (we leave for WDW on Sat and the cruise 4 days later!!) but I did see some really good pictures on the allearsnet.com website and it doesn't look like there are any coverings on the balconies. I could be wrong but I don't see any plexiglass.

I think you are correct to be concerned, but I would think really all will be just fine. As I posted before, we have 2 connecting "navigator balcony" cabins and my 3 boys, 11,13, and 15 will have there "own" cabin with the balcony. My 6 yr old DD will be in with us . I think the enclosed balcony will be somewhat safer and my kids have been staying in hotels with balconies for years, so I am not overly worried.

Archived