Required Paper Work for My Grandaughter

Smooth Sailing

We will be taking a family cruise in September - Does anyone out there have any personal experience with the following situation. My daughter and her daughter (my Grandaughter) will be among the family members going on the cruise. My daughter has never been married - however, the State of Connecticut has put a father's name (he is the biological father) on my grandaughter's birth cirtificate in hopes of collecting some child support. No child support has ever been collected and we can not locate this person. In some document requirements, I have noticed that a noterized statement from the father is required for one parent to take a minor child (2-1/2 years old) out of the country on a cruise - We will be going to Mexico, Roatan, and Belize. Does anyone out there have any answers??
Thanks

I have been doing some research myself. My mother had found a document that i can sign and have notirize. She had downloaded it from a web page, I will ask her the web page info and post it. I don't know about your state, but in the State of Florida, Child Support will send out a letter for you, just tell them what you need. You should ask child support ahead of time. Also check your state laws. In the state of Florida, if a Child is born out of wedlock, the Mother has sole custody of her child. I had help from a legal aid office who had sent me a copy of this law.

Thats the best I can do

Have a nice Trip and Enjoy!!

Lauren

This is not an uncommon issue. Mexico in particular is very strict about children travelling without both parents.

Ideally, you should have a Decree of Sole Custody from your state. It must be certified by the state and may also have to be translated into Spanish with a notarized copy.

The State Department also has a hotline for questions concerning children's issues:

1-888-407-4747

Jim

I can't give you any more information than the good advice you've already received, but I can give you the link to the parental consent letter. Another CC poster gave it to me and I'm very happy to be able to pass it along.:)

[url="http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/consent/"]http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/consent/[/url]

Beth

That is absolutely correct...you do not need anything to take the child on a cruise. I took one this summer and took my granddaughter and my son's friend with us, we went to Cozumel and needed nothing. The only time you need it, as stated before, is if you're in Mexico for more than 24 hours which you are not when on a cruise.

If the birh cert states that the father is "Unknown", may I assume that the mother does not need any other documentation other than the birt cert? and that if the grand parents take the child on a cruise then they would just need the consent form signed by the mother & a copy of the birth cert?

It makes sense to me, but some laws baffle me.

You are correct. I have a daughter and I put "father unknown" on her birth certificate and have taken her on many cruises. As long as you have the birth certificate, its fine and like you said if grandparents take the child on the cruise all they need is the bc and signed notarized letter from the mother only.

I would recommend you read some of the threads on the "Ask a Cruise Question" board. There have been several discussions there involving many people with this exact issue. Most do not agree that legal documentation is not required. I am taking 2 granddaughters on the Triumph in March and am taking a notarized consent letter along with the original birth certificates. I don't want to be the one caught in a random search without proper legal documentation. It does happen.

Beth

Archived