***Costa in the Med.***

capi

Does anyone know if Costa charges a fee for changing dollars into Euros? They say they only deal in Euros. when in the Med. How is the exchange rate on board? I'm leaving for the Baltic and North Cape next week. Any help?

I'm not sure I can answer your specific questions, but we took a long cruise beginning in Savona and never had a problem. The only money exchange we ever had to make was from large bills in dollars to small bills in dollars and the purser had plenty of small bills to accomodate us.

I'm not sure I can answer your specific questions, but we took a long cruise beginning in Savona and never had a problem. The only money exchange we ever had to make was from large bills in dollars to small bills in dollars and the purser had plenty of small bills to accomodate us.

Thanks! I was hoping I could use dollars around the ship rather than the Euro. I don't mind the cabin charges at the end of the cruise being in Euros.

Since you are going to be in Europe on a European cruise line it would be nice if you use Euros. It is very easy to get all the Euros you want using ATMs throughout your travels, this gives you the best exchange rate. Just something for you to think about--if you were planning to use dollars for tips around the ship, then the person you tip is going to have to find a way to exchange the money-and pay a higher exchange fee. The Euro is stronger than the dollar, sort of like if you were paid in Canadian dollars here, would you be happy with the hassle and exchange?

Just wanted you to stop and think about it.

Since you are going to be in Europe on a European cruise line it would be nice if you use Euros. It is very easy to get all the Euros you want using ATMs throughout your travels, this gives you the best exchange rate. Just something for you to think about--if you were planning to use dollars for tips around the ship, then the person you tip is going to have to find a way to exchange the money-and pay a higher exchange fee. The Euro is stronger than the dollar, sort of like if you were paid in Canadian dollars here, would you be happy with the hassle and exchange? Just wanted you to stop and think about it.

Thanks for the info.

Have thought about it. . . Tipping in Dollars is still better than nothing. I'm sure the bartenders will be able to exchange them easily on board or they can save the Dollars for their return to the Caribbean. I'll just increase the tip to make the exchange worth their while. The way most Europeans tip, I'm sure the Dollars will be appreciated.

The staff we tipped in dollars seemed very pleased. Since none of them were Europeans, they may have preferred dollars. The weakness of the dollar is something you might want to consider when you decide how much to tip. If you also consider the fact that no one in the world tips as generously as Americans (usually 10% or less as compared to 15%] and, when on a Roman ship, you do as the Romans do, the weak dollar won't hurt you too badly. On the other hand, if you fall in love with your cabin stewardess, as I did, and your spouse falls in love with the waiter, as mine did, these calculations may be forgotten.

The staff we tipped in dollars seemed very pleased. Since none of them were Europeans, they may have preferred dollars. The weakness of the dollar is something you might want to consider when you decide how much to tip. If you also consider the fact that no one in the world tips as generously as Americans (usually 10% or less as compared to 15%] and, when on a Roman ship, you do as the Romans do, the weak dollar won't hurt you too badly. On the other hand, if you fall in love with your cabin stewardess, as I did, and your spouse falls in love with the waiter, as mine did, these calculations may be forgotten.

Thanks! We both fall in love all to easily. I'll make sure we take a calculator.

Archived