How late can we return to the ship in Maui and Kauai?

Hollyster2

On our overnight stays in Maui and Kauai on the POH, how late can we return to the ship? We are planning on renting a car on the first day of each of these stops and aren't sure how that works with returning to the ship. Can someone explain it to me? Do we return the car by a certain time, or do they allow us back on the ship no matter how late we return in he the evening?:confused:

I had asked this question before, the NCL staff on the phone (generally unhelpful and inaccurate) acted as though you had to be on the ship by a given time, but couldn't tell me when that would be. However, board members here have frequently mentioned that you can get on and off the ship at any time all night long. It makes sense, especially in Maui when people are leaving in the middle of the night for the sunrise Haleakala tours.

As for a car, I'm parking mine overnight in Kauai and not renting in Maui, but in both locations I believe there is a "last call" shuttle from the rental agency to the pier. I've heard 8pm for Thrifty on Kauai, for example. If you return your car later, you'll need to take a cab, but the airport isn't far so fares should be cheap. If I were you I would just stay out as long as I wanted, and if you have to take a cab back, why not?

You can come and go as you please! If you're only renting a car for the first day, your concern will be getting back to the ship from the car rental sites. The shuttles quit running after a certain time (for Thrifty on Kauai, I think the last shuttle left at 8pm), so you'd need to call a cab if you were planning on returning your car late. Check with your car rental company to find out their shuttle times.

Something else to be aware of is parking if you are renting for 2 days. In Maui, parking lot fills quickly and next to impossible to find a spot if you get back to the ship in the evening. Also heard other cars trap you in which could cause a problem if you have an early excursion next day in Maui. I've read some people return their car to the rental agency & pick it up next am - you don't need to re-rent, they will just hold it for you but you need to be able to shuttle back to the ship before they close or pay for a taxi.

In Kauai, I've read you need to get a parking pass as soon as you get your rental car and you'll be guaranteed a place to park at whatever time you return. I think it is $10.

Thats all I know as I haven't gone yet. My cruise is Monday 5/28. Yay!

Aloha!

We just returned from a wonderful trip! You may come and go as you wish on the ship. We rented cars in both Kauai & Maui. Others have already mentioned this but if you will buy a $10 parking pass in Kauai in the morning, then you will have a space in the lot whenever you return. In Maui, we were so worried about parking but were very lucky. When we returned to the pier about 10:30 pm, someone left right then leaving us a perfect spot! :D

You are going to have a wonderful time!

Archived