El Cid Resorts - El Cid -La Ceiba Cozumel

Littlegoo75

Just curious.....anyone been hit up to tour the El Cid - La Ceiba resort in Cozumel? It's right there at Puerto Maya (I think that's what the port is called). We just returned from our honeymoon in Cozumel (I would have preferred a cruise, but the new hubby wanted to stay in one place for a week and relax). When we arrived at the airport in Coz. we were hit up and ended up getting suckered into attending a time share schpiel in order to get a bunch of free stuff.

We ended up buying a timeshare there, and it really isn't a bad deal. The resort itself is really nice, even though it's (they also have resorts in Cancun, Mazatlan, and several other places in Mx. 2 in Spain, and one in England. The resort is part of the RCI network, so we will have plenty of places to choose from to use our points at.

PLUS....there is a deal that if you purchase a cruise from them (and they will match any advertised price) you get bonus points to use, so a moderately priced cruise for 2 would get us enough bonus points for a week in a 2 bedroom unit. You really can't beat that....now my husband will be up for us going on at least one cruise a year in order to accrue bonus points!

I would love to hear if anyone else has a time share with El Cid or has visited the resort.

From what I heard, the one in Cozumel was either rebuilt or refurbished because of hurricane damage. Maybe that is why it's nicer. Either way, because they are through RCI, I can use my timeshare points elsewhere if El Cid's other resorts suck. It is nice though because every time I go on a cruise that stops in Coz. I can spend the day free because we have the time share there. Although, there are so many other things to do in Coz. I don't know if I would want to waste my day hanging out at a hotel.

From what I heard, the one in Cozumel was either rebuilt or refurbished because of hurricane damage. Maybe that is why it's nicer. Either way, because they are through RCI, I can use my timeshare points elsewhere if El Cid's other resorts suck. It is nice though because every time I go on a cruise that stops in Coz. I can spend the day free because we have the time share there. Although, there are so many other things to do in Coz. I don't know if I would want to waste my day hanging out at a hotel.

Yep, I have. I also have used the dive shop. I didn't like it,but thats my opinion. Too noisy now that they built the pier area up.

Just curious.....anyone been hit up to tour the El Cid - La Ceiba resort in Cozumel? It's right there at Puerto Maya (I think that's what the port is called). We just returned from our honeymoon in Cozumel (I would have preferred a cruise, but the new hubby wanted to stay in one place for a week and relax). When we arrived at the airport in Coz. we were hit up and ended up getting suckered into attending a time share schpiel in order to get a bunch of free stuff.

We ended up buying a timeshare there, and it really isn't a bad deal. The resort itself is really nice, even though it's (they also have resorts in Cancun, Mazatlan, and several other places in Mx. 2 in Spain, and one in England. The resort is part of the RCI network, so we will have plenty of places to choose from to use our points at.

PLUS....there is a deal that if you purchase a cruise from them (and they will match any advertised price) you get bonus points to use, so a moderately priced cruise for 2 would get us enough bonus points for a week in a 2 bedroom unit. You really can't beat that....now my husband will be up for us going on at least one cruise a year in order to accrue bonus points!

I would love to hear if anyone else has a time share with El Cid or has visited the resort.

Don't worry. El Cid resorts don't suck, IMHO. There are actually 4 El Cid resorts in Mazatlan. A previous poster said they went to "the one" in Mazatlan, and was not impressed. It would probably be helpful for you to have more information since it is all so subjective.

My mother and her husband own a 2 bedroom at El Cid Marina in Mazatlan. Also in Mazatlan is El Cid Castilla, El Cid El Moro, and El Cid Granada. They have owned for 4 years, and went there every year for the first 3 years. Now, they mostly exchange it for other places in the world because they get such high trade value for it. Only having second-hand knowledge of it myself, I do know that they really like the location and the look/feel of the resort. It's right on the water, and has a mediterranean touch. They like to watch the boats coming in and out of the marina, walk to shopping, and love the set-up and style of the resort itself.

Of 20 timeshares in Mazatlan, El Cid Marina is ranked #4 among the Timeshare Users Group. El Cid Cozumel, which I have read about and spoken to an agent about, looks really nice! If you go there, and don't like it, check out your other El Cid resorts or exchange through RCI where the world is waiting for you.

Using your exchange value for cruise credits traditionally has not been a good deal. The value you place on your timeshare exchange typically doesn't hold up to the $ it takes pay for a cruise, but it sounds like you get some sort of bonus. Just make sure it's truly a good deal for you before you exchange for a cruise.

Happy traveling, and congrats on your El Cid purchase!

Yeah, from my tour of the El Cid La Ceiba in Coz. it looked really nice. We will enjoy staying there one of these days.

No, I wouldn't exhange my points for a cruise, because it doesn't seem like a good deal, but something that they offer is that if you buy a cruise through them (El Cid Vacations Club) you will receive bonus points to use for stays with them, and they will match any one else's price. For example, if I find a cruise for $1,500 for 2 people advertized through Expedia, they will match that price, and we will receive 150,000 El Cid points, which is enough for a 2 bedroom unit for a week. Considering that we bought the smallest plan of 77,000 points per year, that's a really good deal and a good reason to take at least one cruise a year.

Yeah, from my tour of the El Cid La Ceiba in Coz. it looked really nice. We will enjoy staying there one of these days.

No, I wouldn't exhange my points for a cruise, because it doesn't seem like a good deal, but something that they offer is that if you buy a cruise through them (El Cid Vacations Club) you will receive bonus points to use for stays with them, and they will match any one else's price. For example, if I find a cruise for $1,500 for 2 people advertized through Expedia, they will match that price, and we will receive 150,000 El Cid points, which is enough for a 2 bedroom unit for a week. Considering that we bought the smallest plan of 77,000 points per year, that's a really good deal and a good reason to take at least one cruise a year.

Ahhhhh, now that really does sound like a good deal. If you find good pricing on another website, then there's no way for El Cid to screw you by charging you a high cruise price in order for you to get your bonus. I totally didn't get that when I read your first post. Looks like you got something you're going to enjoy for a really long time! :)

I am going to ask my mother if she also has that cruise deal. Is that something new? Or, is that cruise deal offered to *all* El Cid owners? Since you own El Cid, does that mean you also have access to all of Fairfield's resorts? It sounds like you do, and if so, congratulations. They've got some really nice places, i.e. Fairfield Waikiki Beach Walk resort. Check that one out! Imagine going on a Hawaii cruise, ending in Hawaii, then staying a week at that resort?

• 5 months later...

I think this must be the resort that was offering a day pass to use their facilities. They have a stand in the shopping area, We were told that if we paid the outright fee, that we would not have to attend the timeshare presentation. Anyone have experience with this?

Archived