snorkel ??

bstman

We went to Grand Cayman in Feb and snorkeled on our own-not far from pier behind a dive shop-it was ok. We snorkeled in Coz from a boat and it was awesome!! We are taking the kids in July and stopping at both Coz and GC. We want to take the kids on a great snorkel tour, which place would be the best to snorkel, GC or Coz?? Really wanted to spend the day at the beach in Coz but worried we will be disappointed with the snorkeling in GC. Can anyone compare the two? Where is the best place to snorkel in GC? Thanks

On my first cruise we stopped in Cozuemel, which i found to be great. Once we arrived in Grand Caymen, I did an excursion by boat which was not far from the pier as well, and I found it to be even better.

From what I read about the hurricane damage, Cozumel may not be as nice as it used to be. This is just something to consider.

On my first cruise we stopped in Cozuemel, which i found to be great. Once we arrived in Grand Caymen, I did an excursion by boat which was not far from the pier as well, and I found it to be even better.

From what I read about the hurricane damage, Cozumel may not be as nice as it used to be. This is just something to consider.

You're partly correct about Coz. The near shore reefs were heavily damaged, but the off shore reefs had minimal damage and are still world class.

The sea life has returned to the near shore reefs so there are lots of fish to be seen.

For the OP: Palancar Reef , an off shore reef, is excellent for snorkeling. Palancar Beach is very nice and has an alfresco restaurant. There is a a boat stationed there which makes trips to the reef. The beach is about a twenty dollar cab from San Miguel.

If you don't want to repeat Eden's Rock for shore snorkeling in GC, there are plenty of good boat trips. Capt Marvin offers a three stop trip consisting of Coral Gardens, Barrier Reef and Stingray City.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

thanks for the replies!! I am not sure if we snorkeled at Eden Rock. The place we snorkeled was to the left when you got off the pier. I think it was one of the wrecks?? We did not see much. Would Eden Rock be better? Where is that? Can you tell me what the barrier reef and coral gardens are like?

We really did not want to do 2-3 hours of snorkeling in Grand Cayman and Cozumel both. The excursion we did in Cozumel last time was by boat through carnival-"3 reef snorkel"-not sure where they carried us but it was out a ways from shore. We loved it!

Just wondering which place we should spend the money and time to do a boat snorkel and which would be better just to hang out on a beach and maybe do some snorkeling on our own from the shore? And where the best places are to snorkel from shore. The kids have never seen fish like that and I want them to be amazed. Thanks for all your help!!:)

In my opinion (and have snorkeled numerous times over 18 years at both Cozumel and Cayman), take Capt. Marvin's tour in Cayman. He is the person who discovered Sting Ray City and put it on the map. His company has been in business for years. Always a great tour... And if you've never been to Sting Ray City, it is a memory that will last your kids for a lifetime. Truly awesome to see those magnificent creatures up close and personal. The other two stops on the tour will net you plenty of fish and coral. And they've worked with cruise line passengers for so many years, there's no chance you will miss your ship's departure. Lunch is included on the longer trip. And...if you get back from your snorkel trip early enough, you can still walk over to Eden Rock and jump in for a little snorkeling from shore. Last I heard, it is free (unless you need to rent equipment). It is only a block or so from the downtown Georgetown dock where the tenders operate. (As you are facing out toward the ocean, it will be to the left of the dock).

Cozumel has some good beaches on the south end of the island. Or... you can shore snorkel at Dzul-Ha (taxi drivers will know where it is. It's on the way to the south end). But the really nice reefs are out a lot deeper and can only be accessed by boat. My big concern with kids along might be the currents at those deeper reefs. The tour companies are good to watch you, but with kids...I personally wouldn't do it unless they were teenagers and good swimmers. But that's your call. Just giving my opinion. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all the info. I think we will be using Captain Marvins!:D I just have one more question. There are 2 trips: 1 is 2 1/2 hrs and does sting rays, Coral gardens OR reef; the other is 3 hrs and does rays, coral gardens AND reef. What is the difference between coral gardens and reef? Should we do the one that includes both?

Thanks for all the info. I think we will be using Captain Marvins!:D I just have one more question. There are 2 trips: 1 is 2 1/2 hrs and does sting rays, Coral gardens OR reef; the other is 3 hrs and does rays, coral gardens AND reef. What is the difference between coral gardens and reef? Should we do the one that includes both?

Coral Gardens is, as the name implies, an area of scattered coral growth. The Barrier Reef is more continuous and has a great deal more sea life. If time permits, take the longer trip.

To answer your previous question, Eden's Rock is to the right as you face shore. Their dive sign is visible from your ship.

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

One last question to those who have used Captain Marvin's. To make reservations on their website I have to put in my credit card info. Did everyone else have to do this? It says it is secure and I have read great reviews about them but just wanted to make sure before I gave out my number-not that they could get much after making the final payment to Carnival!!haha

We did it and had no problems. As I said, they have been in business for YEARS in Cayman. If they were ripping off tourists' credit cards, they would not still be around.

I agree with the other poster...take the longer trip if you have the time/money. AND...just maybe...Cap't Marvin himself will show up! He is in his 90s (if he's still alive). He loves what he does so much, that even though he's mostly retired and has a crew working for him now, some days he will still come. When we were there two summers ago, he even drove the boat that day. Still looking and acting very chipper. It was great to take a picture with him and tell him how we took his tour almost 19 years ago on our honeymoon. What a great guy!

Archived