Portland to Seattle

I'm new to this board...looking forward to sailing HAL out of Seattle in Aug. Using FF miles to fly into Portland, OR late(arrive midnight), and looking for a hotel overnight. Wanting to take Amtrak early morning the next day Portland to Seattle, then taxi to Pier 30. Anyone done this before? Or is it better to rent a car at the airport in Portland to drop off in Seattle (about the same price as train for 2)? We'll be renting a car on the way back as we have the whole day for a scenic drive back to Portland. Thanks for any help!

I live in Oregon and Driving to Seattle is the way to go. Amtrak to Seattle is ok but if you want to see the beauty of the Pacific northwest take a car. Besides if time is an issue Amtrak can be late getting into Seattle. Like this week there was a derailment with a chemical leak thus shutting down the line from Portland to Seattle for over a day. So the passangers had to be bussed from Portland to Seattle. Myself I will be driving up to Seattle on the First of June to catch my cruise.

Being from Portland myself, I have done both. I would recommend for you taking the train. You get beautiful views on the way up of the puget sound that you would not get taking I-5. Plus you can relax on the way up and not have to worry about driving. The is also an area on the train where you can get little bottles of wine and or beer and have a couple on the way up.:)

A few years ago we took the Coast Starlight from Oxnard to Seattle. As someone else mentioned, you have to build in padding. We were four hours late both ways but we planned to come in Friday night for our Sunday cruise and stay a few days in Seattle post-cruise.

When we returned to King Station in Seattle for our return trip, we found out that there had been a tunnel fire in Oregon the week before. Up through the day before, passengers were taken off at one station and put on a bus (a 9 hr ride) and then put back on a train at another station, past where the fire was. We were the first train to go through that tunnel, I think. When we got there, we could tell from the smell and the "sky view" where the ceiling of the tunnel was burnt through.

Thanks, all, for your help. Looks like it's a mixed bag, and we'll really have to weigh the pros and cons. Glad this is such a small problem to have:) We do look forward to a leisurely drive in this area on the return no matter what we decide on embarkation day!

I live in Oregon and Driving to Seattle is the way to go. Amtrak to Seattle is ok but if you want to see the beauty of the Pacific northwest take a car. Besides if time is an issue Amtrak can be late getting into Seattle. Like this week there was a derailment with a chemical leak thus shutting down the line from Portland to Seattle for over a day. So the passangers had to be bussed from Portland to Seattle. Myself I will be driving up to Seattle on the First of June to catch my cruise.

Where would you park when you are in Seattle during the cruise? We are considering driving up from Portland on September 16th for the NCL Pearl cruise to Alaska. NCL recommend the Bell Street Parking Garage across from pier 66

We are leaving out of Seattle at the end of June, and we are taking Amtrak the day before our departure. I think we paid $75~ RT from Albany (a couple hours south), which may or may not be cheaper than renting a car, paying for gas, one way rental, crossing a state boarder and mileage. We are actually driving from SF Bay Area to OR (to visit family on the way to Seattle, drop off kiddos, & dog), but wanted to sit an enjoy the trip up to Seattle. I believe it's a 6 hour trip, lots to look at maybe watch a movie or two on the laptop, sleep, hang out with my DH, and just look forward to cruising.

Archived