Rock Wall - How hard is it?

One of my goals on this cruise is to climb the rock wall. I've been working out and lifting weights trying to strengthen my muscles. I was just wondering if I'll make it to the top or embarrass myself. :D Since I'm a female, my upper body is not very strong. Does it require a good deal of upper strength or can I make do with my strong leg muscles? Give me any tips you may have. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks!

One of my goals on this cruise is to climb the rock wall. I've been working out and lifting weights trying to strengthen my muscles. I was just wondering if I'll make it to the top or embarrass myself. :D Since I'm a female, my upper body is not very strong. Does it require a good deal of upper strength or can I make do with my strong leg muscles? Give me any tips you may have. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks!

There are paths with different levels of difficulty. I climbed the was almost to the top 5 years ago and I am not really an athletic person. There is someone holding the lines on the deck and I think they "help" you climb sometimes. I did not feel embarrassed at all and was proud that I had done what I did!:)

I have not yet cruised with RCI and climbed the wall, but have taken a couple courses and such for rockclimbing. So, it has to be similar. The main thing to remember is to keep your body as close to the wall as possible. Don't let your rear end hang out (so to speak). That will cause you to slip, fall, whatever. Also, keep three points of contact at all times and don't make moves where you have less than three points. You do use a lot of leg strength, thats what powers you up the rock. Good upper body strength is helpful, but not necessary. There is usually different levels on a wall like that as well, so start with the easiest one and go from there :)

I've never done the rock wall on RCCL, but I've done the one in central Park near where I live. The instructor told us that contrary to what we've seen in the movies, rock climbing requires leg strength and not so much arm strength. You push yourself up with your legs as opposed to pulling yourself up with your fingers and hands. the muscles in your legs are bigger and can do more for you.

I didn't make it to the top of that wall, but i had fun trying. i was teaching at the time. some of my students made it up and some didn't. but they only had that one day. on the boat you'll have the whole week, give or take. I'm going to try again and i don't care if i make it or not, i just want to try and have fun. And i don't think you could really embarrass yourself.

I have not yet cruised with RCI and climbed the wall, but have taken a couple courses and such for rockclimbing. So, it has to be similar. The main thing to remember is to keep your body as close to the wall as possible. Don't let your rear end hang out (so to speak). That will cause you to slip, fall, whatever. Also, keep three points of contact at all times and don't make moves where you have less than three points. You do use a lot of leg strength, thats what powers you up the rock. Good upper body strength is helpful, but not necessary. There is usually different levels on a wall like that as well, so start with the easiest one and go from there :)

Thanks so much for the great tips!

I've never done the rock wall on RCCL, but I've done the one in central Park near where I live. The instructor told us that contrary to what we've seen in the movies, rock climbing requires leg strength and not so much arm strength. You push yourself up with your legs as opposed to pulling yourself up with your fingers and hands. the muscles in your legs are bigger and can do more for you.

I didn't make it to the top of that wall, but i had fun trying. i was teaching at the time. some of my students made it up and some didn't. but they only had that one day. on the boat you'll have the whole week, give or take. I'm going to try again and i don't care if i make it or not, i just want to try and have fun. And i don't think you could really embarrass yourself.

Great! I feel better already!

There are paths with different levels of difficulty. I climbed the was almost to the top 5 years ago and I am not really an athletic person. There is someone holding the lines on the deck and I think they "help" you climb sometimes. I did not feel embarrassed at all and was proud that I had done what I did!:)

Good for you! That's good to know that they'll "help" you. My DH might need the help. LOL (He's gonna kill me now!) ;)

My 5 yr old grandson made it a bit more than halfway and my daughter-in-law about 3/4's. In both cases, it was the wind that stopped them. It made them unsure of their footing.

The tips you received from schnell are good ones.

Good luck!!

It's not just about the muscles and strength....On our first RCI cruise, we watched 2 twenty something muscle heads try to get up the hardest course on the wall and they couldn't make it all the way. Then my 7 year old son went straight up to the top of the same course while the muscle heads were watching, needless to say, they walked away with their heads down!!!!

I am not so sure that all of the walls are the same from ship to ship. looked like to me that the wall on the voyager was bigger than on the splendour and rhapsody, but I don't know for sure.

I am NON athletic and have climbed to the top 2 times. the first time my sister and I were racing and actually it became a race between the 2 sports guys & they literally pulled us up the wall. The 2nd time we raced too, but this time we did it ourselves. It is all in the legs as I have NO upper body strength. Just let the sports folks know that you want their help telling you where to go next & they will gladly help you. It is an awesome view from the top. And don't worry about being embarrassed, just have FUN!!!!!

As stated before, rock climbing is more grabbing with your hands and pushing up with your legs. Unless you limit your self to a specific colored route (the grips have different colors) the walls are easy. I participated in a speed climbing contest where they combined our times for two climbs, we could only use two of the colors on the wall. I slipped both times and still did both climbs at about 30 seconds. Two people were faster than I was, one was an 18 kid that went up in 18 seconds once.

I'm terrified of heights. I do well, till I look down. Then I panic and insist it's time to go down. My husband and ten year old are part spider monkey, and climbed to the top and rang the bell! My husband is not at all athletic.

Every post makes me feel better about climbing it. Of course, I'll start with the "beginners" climb and see how I do. I can laugh at myself so if I can't make it, that's OK. I just hope my friends don't take too many pictures of my big rear end. LOL

Thanks, everyone!

Every post makes me feel better about climbing it. Of course, I'll start with the "beginners" climb and see how I do. I can laugh at myself so if I can't make it, that's OK. I just hope my friends don't take too many pictures of my big rear end. LOL

Thanks, everyone!

I have been on two cruises and tryed the rock wall both time. only made it 1/2 way up both times. My feeling is you will never make it up tp the top if you dont try. I made it futher up the wall than the people who did not try. I had a blast trying to make it up, my not reaching the top had no effect on my enjoyment from trying.

I have been on two cruises and tryed the rock wall both time. only made it 1/2 way up both times. My feeling is you will never make it up tp the top if you dont try. I made it futher up the wall than the people who did not try. I had a blast trying to make it up, my not reaching the top had no effect on my enjoyment from trying.

So true! Can't hurt to try and I'm sure it is a lot of fun. :D

I just had to respond to this thread :) . I tried the wall with my husband and dad. I'm not the most physically fit, but slender. My dad is almost 60 and in pretty good shape. My husband is stocky and has extremely strong legs. None of us had rock climbed before.

My dad made it to the top. My husband only made it about half way. I made it about 3/4 mostly by myself, then the guy hoisted me the rest of the way. For all three of us, our legs and arms were killing us afterwards. We got the lecture beforehand about how it's all in your legs, but let me tell you, when your up there for the first time, I think it's human nature to grip with your arms. I think we all did very well for the first time. Did we do it again? No way :p .

My son (then 18) and I climbed the rock wall on Rhapsody and yes, all the pointers people have given are really good ones. One of the tips though that I would like to add is that of a support team. I had my CC friends, my husband and others cheering me on. Never underestimate the power of a good cheerleading section. At one point, I felt like I was going to give up, and I hear from below, the cheers and 'you can do it' shouts... I managed to get to the top and ring that bell! At one point, our son was just zipping up the wall. He stopped to take a breath and allowed me to catch up. My husband yelled at our son, your mom is catching you and that got him to the top!

So, bring your cheerleading section!

D :)

1066028258_AlanringingthebellIcandoittoo.jpg.0808cda96f103b5dd72c416d669dbff8.jpg

Yeah, I can be a wise guy sometimes, just can't believe noone else said this already: How hard is the Rock Wall? - Very hard - its made of rock!!!

I know you're serious and I'm glad you got several good replies - it just struck me as funny, kind of like the lady who asks: Does the ship generate its own electricity? - No, we use a giant extension cord.

I'm terrified of heights. I do well, till I look down. Then I panic and insist it's time to go down. My husband and ten year old are part spider monkey, and climbed to the top and rang the bell! My husband is not at all athletic.

I can sympathize. I tried the wall for the first time and was fine until I got to the part where it juts out about halfway up. I started to feel like I was going to fall off so I started to panic. I couldn't get down fast enough.

WeirdEyes - it's all in the legs. I have pretty much no upper body strength and didn't have any trouble because my legs made up for it. Despite my failure to get to the top, it was fun and I'm glad I tried it.

My son (then 18) and I climbed the rock wall on Rhapsody and yes, all the pointers people have given are really good ones. One of the tips though that I would like to add is that of a support team. I had my CC friends, my husband and others cheering me on. Never underestimate the power of a good cheerleading section. At one point, I felt like I was going to give up, and I hear from below, the cheers and 'you can do it' shouts... I managed to get to the top and ring that bell! At one point, our son was just zipping up the wall. He stopped to take a breath and allowed me to catch up. My husband yelled at our son, your mom is catching you and that got him to the top!

So, bring your cheerleading section!

D :)

Oh, I'm sure I'll have a cheering section! All of my Roll Call buddies and my friends cruising with us.

Yeah, I can be a wise guy sometimes, just can't believe noone else said this already: How hard is the Rock Wall? - Very hard - its made of rock!!!

I know you're serious and I'm glad you got several good replies - it just struck me as funny, kind of like the lady who asks: Does the ship generate its own electricity? - No, we use a giant extension cord.

Hilarious! LOL

Thanks again for all of your tips! :D

Wierdeyes: On our last cruise there was a woman in her 40's who was determined to make it to the top by the end of the cruise. (I think she had a bet with someone in her party) she tried it each morning when it first opened up (9am I think). There is no crowd that early and the staff really encouraging. Near the end of the cruise she was almost to the top. The staff basically pulled her to the very top so she could ring the bell. They will do anything to help you reach this goal.

Wierdeyes: On our last cruise there was a woman in her 40's who was determined to make it to the top by the end of the cruise. (I think she had a bet with someone in her party) she tried it each morning when it first opened up (9am I think). There is no crowd that early and the staff really encouraging. Near the end of the cruise she was almost to the top. The staff basically pulled her to the very top so she could ring the bell. They will do anything to help you reach this goal.

I'm in my 40's also so maybe they'll take pity on me and "help" me to the top. ;)

My daughter was eight when we sailed Voyager in her inaugural year - The staff agreed she was the youngest so far to make it to the top....she had a bright pink cover-up over her bathing suit and everyone said she looked like a piece of bubble gum stuck to the wall.:D :D

So far I haven't tried but I am going to on our Liberty cruise in June! Report to follow.

Like Nancy, I am also terrified of heights, but have climbed the rock wall several times. The most unnerving thing is when they ask you to sign a disclaimer in case of injury, but once that's out of the way and your seapass has been punched with the "Star Hole", it's actually quite safe and relatively easy. I have never chosen a coloured route, just grabbed hold of the nearest piece of plastic, pushed and rang the bell....great feeling afterwards!

Alan

well there are at least two of us with the same sense of humor :D every time I saw this thread title I had to chuckle. ;)

Archived