Alaska Cruise & Kids

greatmom

i would doubt it...a lot of family can't afford the cost, cruises to alaska are so much more then other cruises/vacations. even if there are many kids on board, many will be in the kids groups..plus all the time in ports off the ship. there will be some, of course.

i would doubt it...a lot of family can't afford the cost, cruises to alaska are so much more then other cruises/vacations...
Not true at all. Cruises now cater to families and the kids programs on the Alaska itineraries are PACKED. My guess is that approximately 20% of the passengers on a typical Alaska cruise are under 18 years of age. If you want to minimize interaction with kids, then do NOT cruise when school is out, i.e. Thanksgiving week, Christmas holidays, spring break or summer (especially mid-June through mid-August)!

Hi

Does any one know about how many kids will be on an Alaska cruise in June on NCL? Will the ship be over run with kids?

Thank You

If you cruise before the middle of June, most school systems are still in session so you would likely have ships with fewer kids. By the end of June however, look out!

Actually, I think that there will be quite a few kids on your cruise. We are traveling to Alaska in June (DH, 2 DS and myself) and I called Princess and asked them how many kids in my sons' age group will be there. I was told that in the 8-12 year old range (the range of both my kids) there will be 87 kids. That is not including the 3-7s or the 13+.

Actually we were HOPING for kids on our cruise....6/30/07- Serenade of the Seas, RCL,, we have cruised 3 summers in a row in August, Caribbean,

and of course lots of kids. Our children (17,14,12) have so much fun we hardly ever see them except for dinner....so we were hoping for kids so they would be happier, they are not overly thrilled about this cruise, not warm enough for them :) but nonetheless, looking forward to it! :p

next cruise: 6/30/07- alaska, serenade of the seas

1/25/08- ensenada, monarch of the seas

We were on the Mercury last June 9th with our 11 year old grandson.

We did not know until the end of the cruise that there were approx. 250 under 18's on board. We did see groups of kids with activities people but they were never overly "in your face." Our grandson did not participate in the kids program because my nephew also sailed that week, so they hung out. But when he wanted to play basketball or shuffleboard, or be in the pool, etc. there were kids his age eager to play. We were surprized at the small kids we saw - like 2 and 3 - even some infants.

Check the roll call for your particular cruise. You may find others with children the same age or very near and they can get to know each other via email before you even leave. That would give them something to look forward to instead of dreading the cooler climate.

We were on Princess Sun last week (May 13-20) and there were a TOTAL of 27 kids between ages of 3 & 12.

Therefore I'd say if someone wants to AVOID kids this would be a great time to go, before school lets out.

My DD7 loved it because there were 3 girls/no boys her age & they all became great pals for the week.

Archived