Barbarians Breach Walls...Jeans are OK

SHINEMAN

That is so mean spirited. I am going to stamp my feet and hold my breath because it is really all about ME ME ME and the rest of the world can follow the rules if they want but I make my own rules because I pay for my vacations and that allows ME to do what ever I want.

Unfortunately, what you describe is what our society has moved to. It is all about me. They don't want to follow any rules that infringes on their fun or being able to do what they want to do. Its really becoming more and more of a problem.

Why do people keep making this stuff up?????!!! :mad:

It's simply not true. I was on the Spirit in March, and no shorts were allowed. Jeans were-- but they were few and far between. The majority of passengers were dressed very nicely for dinner. And there were no backwards baseball caps either... only in the buffet.

I have yet to see shorts in dining rooms, but I have seen jeans, sweat suits, t-shirts, nylon jogging suits and a few hats on my cruises. Most people were dressed in either formal, semi-formal or resort casual, but a few (and I do mean a few) still flaunted the rules and wore the jeans (then against the rules) and the other no-no items.

I really do think the baseball cap thing is really out of control. Some people have to have a cap on all the time! Caps are not appropriate indoors and especially at dinner. I know I always say who cares what others wear, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine. (a student was wearing one down the hall just yesterday, I told him to take it off. He did until he passed me, then he put it back on. I turned around and confiscated his hat and it will be kept in the school office until the end of school next week -- along with about 200 others!! It is amazing!)

I turned around and confiscated his hat and it will be kept in the school office until the end of school next week -- along with about 200 others!!

Meany! (but you have a cool bb cap collection!) ;)

If all some people care about is the level of 'fellow passengers class' (which IMO, is actually constituted by much more important things than wardrobe) on a ship then why dont they just cruise on Cunard or Celebrity or some of the other high end lines?

Never sailed Cunard and have no interest in a multi-class ship, but we saw nothing "high end" on our Celebrity cruise. Just one more mass-market line like the rest, with an overblown dress code. Last week received an email offer of a seven-day Alaska cruise on Summit for $450. Maybe the cheapest cruise ever.

I have yet to see shorts in dining rooms, but I have seen jeans, sweat suits, t-shirts, nylon jogging suits and a few hats on my cruises. Most people were dressed in either formal, semi-formal or resort casual, but a few (and I do mean a few) still flaunted the rules and wore the jeans (then against the rules) and the other no-no items.

How about a bathrobe? in the buffet..not for breakfast, near lunchtime...no kidding......w/ flip flops...

How about a bathrobe? in the buffet..not for breakfast, near lunchtime...no kidding......w/ flip flops...

There's a thread on the Princess forum about bathrobes in one of the main dining rooms at dinner (a wedding anniversary thing):eek: .

Some people use their bathrobes as cover-ups with swimming suits. They could have been on the pool deck and wanted something to eat, hence the robe and flip-flops!:rolleyes:

Some people use their bathrobes as cover-ups with swimming suits. They could have been on the pool deck and wanted something to eat, hence the robe and flip-flops!:rolleyes:

Agree. I have seen that numerous times. Don't have a problem with this at the buffet. Much preferred to people who walk in with bathing suits (wet or otherwise).

I really do think the baseball cap thing is really out of control. Some people have to have a cap on all the time! Caps are not appropriate indoors and especially at dinner. I know I always say who cares what others wear, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine. (a student was wearing one down the hall just yesterday, I told him to take it off. He did until he passed me, then he put it back on. I turned around and confiscated his hat and it will be kept in the school office until the end of school next week -- along with about 200 others!! It is amazing!)

You are welcome to come work at my kid's high school anytime:) It is a little known but well researched fact that students who dress neatly for school actually have better scores.

You are welcome to come work at my kid's high school anytime:) It is a little known but well researched fact that students who dress neatly for school actually have better scores.

Caps or hats of any kind are against the dress policy in our district and that's one of the few rules they actually enforce. The only time students are allowed hats is on Field Day, if there's a "dress up" or costume event, and on certain outdoor field trips.

I don't know, but this topic seems to be drawing some cheap manners.

Yes. The Barbarians!

They have cruises for other specialized groups, why not Animal House?

Midnight Toga Parties could be fun. Beats Bingo.

Unfortunately, what you describe is what our society has moved to. It is all about me. They don't want to follow any rules that infringes on their fun or being able to do what they want to do. Its really becoming more and more of a problem.

Have they had you up before the School Committee yet? Or are you going directly to court? Have the TV trailers started to gather in front of the school? Going on Oprah to make a nationwide apology?

Have they had you up before the School Committee yet? Or are you going directly to court? Have the TV trailers started to gather in front of the school? Going on Oprah to make a nationwide apology?

I'm not sure how to take your quote. Are you saying that because we confiscate things that are in violation of written and well publicized rules, that we owe someone an apology???? That the media circus will descend upon us?? (they already have for many other items!) Or are you being sarcastic?

Our school is VERY strict on hats, MP3 Players and Cell phones. We have one teacher who generally confiscates one a day. The hats can be claimed by the student at the end of the day for a first offense and end of grading period for subsequent offenses. The MP3 Players and cell phones can be picked up anytime by the parent only. We do get some complaints from some parents (usually the ones who have the habitual offenders), but most parents are supportive of the policy. We had one parent who refused to come get his child's cell phone for two weeks to punish her for using it in school. (I will add that all electronic devices are locked in a secure vault until claimed.)

We have had three schools in our area go to strict dress codes and another that has gone to uniforms. We have not gone that far yet. The TV stations have actually been to the school with the uniforms to show how well behaved the students are there now compared to last year.

Our school is VERY strict on hats, MP3 Players and Cell phones. We have one teacher who generally confiscates one a day. The hats can be claimed by the student at the end of the day for a first offense and end of grading period for subsequent offenses. The MP3 Players and cell phones can be picked up anytime by the parent only. We do get some complaints from some parents (usually the ones who have the habitual offenders), but most parents are supportive of the policy. We had one parent who refused to come get his child's cell phone for two weeks to punish her for using it in school. (I will add that all electronic devices are locked in a secure vault until claimed.)

We have had three schools in our area go to strict dress codes and another that has gone to uniforms. We have not gone that far yet. The TV stations have actually been to the school with the uniforms to show how well behaved the students are there now compared to last year.

Well said.

My children attended private school so there were many rules, many more than you have stated.

I work in a large city, the children coming out of the schools that have adopted the uniforms are much better behaved in the streets than those who choose what they wear.

I can only assume they are better behaved in the classroom.

I'm not sure how to take your quote. Are you saying that because we confiscate things that are in violation of written and well publicized rules, that we owe someone an apology???? That the media circus will descend upon us?? (they already have for many other items!) Or are you being sarcastic?

We have the same rules at our high school. You just reminded me that I have some hats to retrieve before the end of the year:)

I was just on the Star in Alaska. JEANS GALORE. Even in Le Bistro and Cagneys. Nobody cared. It was wonderful.

I did ask my husband to wear a collared shirt with his jeans and he would point out the other men in jeans and TSHIRTS in the dining rooms. In Le Bistro.

No one exploded, melted, or fainted.

If jeans are clearly allowed now, and no one is breaking any rules wearing them, why do some still have a problem with it? Why do you care what others wear?

Who made you the etiquette king/queen?

If you're going to inforce proper hat etiquette, maybe you should learn the rules first.

Hats are allowed indoor in various locations, including lobbies, eleveators, and hallways.

While in general hats aren't allowed in restaurants, they are allowed in cafeterias and bars. But, the restaurant must also provide a safe place for the gentleman to place his hat, whether a hat rack, empty chair at his table, or provide a hat check-in service. Since I have yet to find a cruise line that does provide this service, a hat rack, or an empty chair, a gentleman has the right to wear his hat, at an angle to match his displeasure.

Don't believe me? Check out these web sites:

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/accessories/90

In a public building, a man may keep his hat on in the corridors and in elevators. When one enters a room, one should remove one’s hat. Once upon a time, a man was supposed to remove his hat if a lady entered the elevator, an elevator being analogous to a room, but today elevators are so crowded, often with ladies, that it is more prudent to keep it on one’s head, where it doesn’t compete for floor space.

As for hat storage, a restaurant should be prepared for the possible onslaught of civilization, and so, if there is no proper storage, one should ask the host, hostess or waitperson where one might temporarily store one’s hat. If the facility provides no suitable accommodation and no unused chair is handy, a gentleman is justified in leaving it on, at a rakish angle proportionate with his degree of displeasure.

http://www.marlow.k12.ok.us/caprules.htm

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, school, court room or restaurant) except:

(1) in public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;

(2) in a general department store;

(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;

(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;

(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;

(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/Clothes%20Articles/etiquette_for_hats_and_caps.htm

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential).

http://www.wlj.net/editorial/052206_the_cowboy_hat_forgotten_etiquette.htm

There are, however, exceptions. In entrance halls or eating when there is nowhere to safely place the hat, then it’s acceptable to keep it on. In elevators, it is not impolite to keep your hat on, but if ladies are on board, it is good manners to remove it, according to Stetson.

I can imagine boys having both hands full walking down the corridor in a school easily. So, there's more than just one exception to the rules you are overlooking. Shame on you.

If your school has a no hat rule for a dress code, you are correct to confiscate them. If not, you are wrong!

I was just on the Star in Alaska. JEANS GALORE. Even in Le Bistro and Cagneys. Nobody cared. It was wonderful.

I did ask my husband to wear a collared shirt with his jeans and he would point out the other men in jeans and TSHIRTS in the dining rooms. In Le Bistro.

No one exploded, melted, or fainted.

If jeans are clearly allowed now, and no one is breaking any rules wearing them, why do some still have a problem with it? Why do you care what others wear?

Why do you keep asking that question, when those of us who do care have answered it? Again... the answer is... Because it ruins the ambiance of the dining experience.

Why do you keep asking that question, when those of us who do care have answered it? Again... the answer is... Because it ruins the ambiance of the dining experience.

Really? NCL has allowed jeans in all the restaurants on ships sailing from Houston (Texas) for years. I never experienced a loss of ambiance on these cruises. It shouldn't be any different anywhere else.

If you want formallity, I suggest sailing on ships sailing for cruise lines that have two, three, four, five, six, or seven days a week where you must be formally dressed to dine in the main restaurants.

Archived