Hurricane Season to be harsh..

vacationfool

:eek: Word of warning, the news is reporting harsh Hurricanes this season. I believe the season is August through November, or close to that.

Any hurricane can be "harsh". :rolleyes:

Hurricane season is June - November.

The 2007 Atlantic hurricane season will be more active than normal with 13 to 17 tropical storms, and as many as ten of them could become hurricanes, the U.S. government's top climate agency predicted on Tuesday. Hurricane season officially begins June 1 and runs through Nov. 30, though the busiest months tend to be August, September and October. Last year was an unexpectedly easy season," said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. "There is no guarantee that this season will be anything less than very tough."

They can't tell you if it's going to rain tommorrow or not - I wouldn't loose too much sleep worrying about what it's going to do in August.

Here's the official Generic Redlef forecast: Chance of showers or rain with wind, followed by periods of sun and clouds.

You can say you heard it here first!:rolleyes:

Hmmmm... almost exactly what they predicted last year, and there were no major US hits.

"For the 2006 north Atlantic hurricane season, NOAA is predicting 13 to 16 named storms, with eight to 10 becoming hurricanes, of which four to six could become 'major' hurricanes of Category 3 strength or higher," added retired Navy Vice Adm. Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Ph.D., undersecretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/s2634.htm

Of course every reasonable precaution should be taken, and any year could be a bad year, but I wouldn't get too upset about now.

I'm not worried. FEMA says they are ready this time!:rolleyes:

LOL, at least they have plenty of trailers hanging around....oops they cant be placed in a hurricane zone :rolleyes:

Anyway, I like the redneck forecast...rain followed by sun and clouds :D

You can't worry about things that are out of your control. And hurricanes are one of those things. If it freaks you out, don't sail in late august till the middle of october. Which are the times most hurricanes show up.

We sailed out of miami one year over columbus day. 3/4 of the ship was puking.

We were hanging out on the deck drinking, dancing etc. Lovin' those waves.

Just coming out of the channel in miami there was 15' seas. By the time we got into the ocean...it was great! 25' at least. We were rockin' and rollin'

I did feel a teensy bit bad for all the thrower-uppers. That's truly got to suck

when that happens to you. But they should stay on land where they belong then ;) Of course I'm sure some of them didn't realize they were destined to be land lubbers...lol...till that day. Not too much is going to help you once you start getting sick like that. A shot maybe, but that's about it.

Hmmmm... almost exactly what they predicted last year, and there were no major US hits.

El Nino developed last year after their predictions came out....there are usually few hurricanes during an El Nino year.

I live in Florida too. Once June gets here we keep an eye on the tropical forcasts, get prepared, and make sure we have a plan. That's all that we can do besides evacuate if told to.

I guess it is no different than living in locations that have land slides, snow storms, and earth quakes. At least we get a warning that a hurricane is coming.

If you are concerned about hurricanes and cruising on ocean liners, then cruise from Dec. thru May. No hurricanes at that time.

It's much easier for these talking heads to come and out say that hurricane season will be bad so they can say "I told you so" IF a big one comes. I guess last year, when none did, they just forgot about their predictions. I've lived in hurricane country for over 25 years and don't remember a single year where they said "don't worry this season is going to be a breeze!".

I guess last year, when none did, they just forgot about their predictions.

The predictions came out right around this time last year for the 2006 season. They were predicting a bad year last year initially because there was a weak La Nina effect that was in place at the time (which typically makes for an active hurricane season) - however the weak La Nina turned into a weak El Nino...and *poof* went the hurricane season. El Nino began developing in July, long after the predictions came out. El Nino = fairly quiet hurricane season.

"For the 2006 north Atlantic hurricane season, NOAA is predicting 13 to 16 named storms, with eight to 10 becoming hurricanes, of which four to six could become 'major' hurricanes of Category 3 strength or higher," added retired Navy Vice Adm. Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Ph.D., undersecretary of commerce for oceans and atmosphere and NOAA administrator.

Of course every reasonable precaution should be taken, and any year could be a bad year, but I wouldn't get too upset about now.

Yeah what he said.

LOL They say the same thing EVERYyear! Eventually they will be right. I could say that because it has been very dry we are due for a rainy summer and fall. Can I get paid for my predictions too?

Mary

They can't tell you if it's going to rain tommorrow or not - I wouldn't loose too much sleep worrying about what it's going to do in August.

Here's the official Generic Redlef forecast: Chance of showers or rain with wind, followed by periods of sun and clouds.

You can say you heard it here first!:rolleyes:

Redlef....great post!

OP......Ditto to what Redlef said on this one.

Now we just have to figure out whether we are going to be positive or negative.....with that said I'd say the forecast will be mostly sunny even on a partly cloudy day.

:D

PS.....Tis the season to buy travel insurance! June thru Nov if your really worried! ;)

I only posted this about hurricanes this year because I found it interesting and I have read alot about cruiselines canceling their ports and sometimes the entire trip. I know..we all cruise anyway...I am guilty of that. But some people are new are here and planning a cruise and being disappointed by less ports, or using vacation time for a canceled cruise. It also might help others who are sea sick...etc. However it seems everyone on here took it and ran..with the 'Oh so what' they always say that..about the season. It was just posted as a talk of the weather...and seems everyone felt it necessary to continue to blow it off. Sure...it may not be a big deal..but it could be !

I live in Florida (miami) we have been getting non stop rain lately so I am not worried about any hurricanes

I'm up here in Davie, not too far from you and it is so dry here that I want to cry. Yet I can watch the news and see all the flooding they are having from the rain in North Miami.

NUTS I tell you. I do hope that this season goes well.

Season for those that do not know is June 1 - November 30.

The predictions came out right around this time last year for the 2006 season. They were predicting a bad year last year initially because there was a weak La Nina effect that was in place at the time (which typically makes for an active hurricane season) - however the weak La Nina turned into a weak El Nino...and *poof* went the hurricane season. El Nino began developing in July, long after the predictions came out. El Nino = fairly quiet hurricane season.

Been through a few hurricanes,also am going on a cruise in Sept .... Will Pray HARD that El Nino visits again........:rolleyes:

Archived