Port of Los Angeles

jamaicanjana

We'll be cruising out of Port of Los Angeles next year and would like to know how far it is from LAX and if anybody has recommendations for cheap places to stay nearby. Also, is the traffic as bad as they say it is? We just got back from Ft Lauderdale early this month, and going from the hotel and airport to Port Everglades was a breeze.

Thanks.

We'll be cruising out of Port of Los Angeles next year and would like to know how far it is from LAX and if anybody has recommendations for cheap places to stay nearby. Also, is the traffic as bad as they say it is? We just got back from Ft Lauderdale early this month, and going from the hotel and airport to Port Everglades was a breeze.

Thanks.

18 miles. I lived in Southern CA for 45 years. Yes, the traffic can be awful on the 405 fwy, depending on the day & time. Takes about 30-35 min. What day will you be sailing on and what time do you fly into LAX? :)

The LA port is in the city of San Pedro. From LAX, it's about 20 miles and 30 minutes away. Take the 405 south to 110 south and you're there.

Hotels/motels are a bit expensive. 1 & 2 stars will run about $80-90 depending on when you stay. 3 stars will be a buck 50.

There are alot of motels nearby that aren't advertised on the net but they are a crap shoot. I suggest staying in Long Beach which is about 10-15 minutes away. The Queen Mary can be had for $100.00 a night.

I visit my DD in Malibu twice a year. (I LOVE Cali!) The drive from LAX to the port may be only 18 miles, but with that traffic....seems more like 50 miles!:D

That's for sure! It will be 30 minutes on a good day!

In December, like everybody else, about 30 minutes to our hotel - Marriott - San Pedro (I think). We took the SuperShuttle and I think it was about $36 for the both of us. Marriott was OK at about $100 (internet price) - close to pier (5 minutes) and was walking distance to a few restaurants.

30 minutes is about average. This year we stayed at the Holiday Inn San Pedro with a fly/sail package so the hotel took care of the transfers, which was less expensive than the Princess transfer package overall and the service was very good. For 2008 we've booked a fly/sail package with Crowne Plaza which is even closer to the pier and is more accessible to resturants and shopping the day prior to sailing. They take care of all of the transfers as a part of the package. I think it all works out in the end. You can stay at the Queen Mary (which can be pricey0, and cab fare alone will cost you a minimum of $20.00 one way to the San Pedro pier.

I'd stick to a local hotel in San Pedro and enjoy the shopping at Ports of Call. At the Holday Inn, we could see our ship coming into port on Sunday morning and that added to the excitement. I've heard only great reviews of the Crowne Plaza, which is why we picked it for 2008.

Actually when you refer to the port of Los Angeles you are referring to the combined ports of San Pedro and Long Beach. Carnival uses Long Beach. Everyone else uses San Pedro. The two ports are about 5 - 6 miles apart.

It is about 20 miles from LAX to the port. The drive can take between 20 and 40 minutes depending on traffic. LAX is just off the upper left of the photo below.

LB-SP.jpg

Julieanne, We'll be going the spring of 09. I'm not sure if I'll drive down from Modesto or fly and rent a car. We'll be staying 2 days in the area

before we set sail. My friends are flying in from the MidWest and East Coast and have never been in the area. We'll do the Hollywood scene as well as Beverly Hills and hopefully Venice Beach. So that's our dilemma as

to where we should stay, such as close to airport or cruise port or the Hollywood area.. I'm thinking in between the ports...

We are driving in on Sat 7/14/07. Cruising Sunday on C Pride. Staying on Queen Mary Sat night. Is there shuttle service to Carnival dock ? I know it is within walking distance, but was wondering about luggage. We will do the early check-in at the Queen Mary. Thank you for any info you might have.

Has any one driven in on Sat with a rental car ? We know rental lot is on Ocean Blvd., not far from port.

Thanks, Rhys

We are driving in on Sat 7/14/07. Cruising Sunday on C Pride. Staying on Queen Mary Sat night. Is there shuttle service to Carnival dock ? I know it is within walking distance, but was wondering about luggage. We will do the early check-in at the Queen Mary. Thank you for any info you might have.

Has any one driven in on Sat with a rental car ? We know rental lot is on Ocean Blvd., not far from port.

Thanks, Rhys

The two ships are next door neighbors. It would take you longer to get on and off a shuttle then it would to just walk your luggage over ...

LongBeachportarea.jpg

The two ships are next door neighbors. It would take you longer to get on and off a shuttle then it would to just walk your luggage over

LongBeachportarea.jpg

Thanks so much for the info and picture, A lot closer than I thought ! I can see the walk will be a lot simpler.

Thanks Again,

Rhys

Archived