Canada & New England Cruise

jack300s

Hi,

We are taking the six day Canada and New England Cruise in Sept aboard the NCL Spirit out of the Manhattan Terminal in NY. This will be our first cruise. Has anyone taken this cruise and can you give us first timers any tips and pointers. Any must see activities?

Thanks

Jack

A few suggestions:

Halifax is a lovely city. There's a hop-on, hop-off bus with narration that will take you to the primary sights. There's also a free hop-on, hop-off bus--called FRED, I think--but I don't recall if it has narration. The Citadel is worth seeing. Walking the waterfront is enjoyable, too. There's a museum of immigration right near where you'll dock. Halifax was a port of entry much like Ellis Island. An excursion out to Peggy's Cove is also very nice.

In Bar Harbor, we booked a tour of the Acadia National Forest through Oli's Trolleys. They have an office right where tenders drop you off in the harbor, and the tour was first rate. Dress warmly. It gets cold on top of the mountain there (Cadillac?).

Boston has a lot to see in just one day. It's probably best to take a bus tour. You should have time to follow the Freedom Trail, as well, but may need to take a cab to get back to the ship.

Have a great cruise.

A few suggestions:

Halifax is a lovely city. There's a hop-on, hop-off bus with narration that will take you to the primary sights. There's also a free hop-on, hop-off bus--called FRED, I think--but I don't recall if it has narration. The Citadel is worth seeing. Walking the waterfront is enjoyable, too. There's a museum of immigration right near where you'll dock. Halifax was a port of entry much like Ellis Island.

This is called Pier 21. My grandmother, mother, 2 aunts and uncle came through this port in 1928. I went to see it a few years ago, and it is worth the visit. Of course when my family came over from Germany it was just an old immigration shed with a long hallway that you had to walk down. My mother is 85 years old and can still remember this experience and she was only 6 at the time that she came over.

An excursion out to Peggy's Cove is also very nice.

Well worth the trip. We took a taxi as we had 3 of us. The driver also did a very nice narration along the way.

In Bar Harbor, we booked a tour of the Acadia National Forest through Oli's Trolleys. They have an office right where tenders drop you off in the harbor, and the tour was first rate. Dress warmly. It gets cold on top of the mountain there (Cadillac?).

Boston has a lot to see in just one day. It's probably best to take a bus tour. You should have time to follow the Freedom Trail, as well, but may need to take a cab to get back to the ship.

Don't forget to visit the "Cheers" bar. It is called the Bull and Fitch. A lot of memoralbia there from the show.

Have a great cruise.

Enjoy

Boston- You might want to consider the "Duck Tour," an amphibious vehicle that drives through part of Boston and then cruises down the Charles River. Interesting way to see the city.

In Bar Harbor, we enjoyed renting a bike at the bike shop 2 blocks from the dock and riding the scenic carriage trails through Acadia National Park.

In Quebec, there is also a bike excursion available along the banks of the St. Lawrence River.

We did the same cruise on the Dawn Sept 06. It was great, loved the freestyle, met some interesting people. We didnt take any organised tours and saw as much if not more than those who did! There was a free local shuttle bus in Bar Harbour so we jumped on that and were able to go around the national park. We then ate fresh lobster and clams on the front at Stewmans, superb. In Halifax we walked up to citadel watched changing of the guard then found the local brewery and had one or two delicious beers! In Boston we walked some of the freedom trail went to the original cheers for lunch then wandered back through the common. Newport was great, we saw a couple of the mansions, just bought a ticket and jumped on the local tram a few hundred yards from where the tender drops you. I would highly recommend the bloody marys at the Brick Alley Pub, we sat at the bar had mega burgers, 3 bloody marys then staggered back to the ship! This was my first proper cruise and it was fab, highly recommened:)

halifax,ns.- pier 21 which you will be dockng at is a museum of

emigration like ellis island in ny city. leaving pier 21 walk alon

the boardwalk and visit the museum of the atlantic, keiths brewery the citadel,etc. they are all a walking distance from

the ship. peggys cove is not worth seeing and it will take up

your whole day.

bar harbor,me.- take the bus tour of acadia national park and

if you have any time left shop around town.

enjoy your trip.

I would highly recommend the bloody marys at the Brick Alley Pub, we sat at the bar had mega burgers, 3 bloody marys then staggered back to the ship! This was my first proper cruise and it was fab, highly recommened:)

Amen to that. Is the Brick Alley Pub a great place or what?

Went there for a special Italian feast with Italian wines, met the owner of the place and sat with the couple that owns the distributorship that provided the wines, and had an incredible time. Fabulous menu, friendly service, beautiful place. Don't miss it in Newport.

Amen to that. Is the Brick Alley Pub a great place or what?

Went there for a special Italian feast with Italian wines, met the owner of the place and sat with the couple that owns the distributorship that provided the wines, and had an incredible time. Fabulous menu, friendly service, beautiful place. Don't miss it in Newport.

You talked me into it...I'm going.

Hotspur do you remember what month they have the Italian feast?

Halifax - This is called Pier 21. My grandmother, mother, 2 aunts and uncle came through this port in 1928. I went to see it a few years ago, and it is worth the visit. Of course when my family came over from Germany it was just an old immigration shed with a long hallway that you had to walk down. My mother is 85 years old and can still remember this experience and she was only 6 at the time that she came over.

Peggy's Cove - Well worth the trip. We took a taxi as we had 3 of us. The driver also did a very nice narration along the way.

Boston - Don't forget to visit the "Cheers" bar. It is called the Bull and Fitch. A lot of memoralbia there from the show.

Hi,

We are taking the six day Canada and New England Cruise in Sept aboard the NCL Spirit out of the Manhattan Terminal in NY. This will be our first cruise. Has anyone taken this cruise and can you give us first timers any tips and pointers. Any must see activities?

Hi Jack- My DD and I are taking that same cruise on October 14th! I just booked the St. Martins tour for St. John, NB and the one and only excursion for Martha's Vineyard.

Are you stopping at St. John? Several years ago my DH and I took a 10 day cruise r/t Boston and saw the Sea Caves on the Bay of Fundy @ St. Martins. Wonderful tour! I'm eager to see it again, and am anxious to have my daughter see it too!

In Boston I haven't decided on whether to do the Bean Town Trolley (hop on hop off) or the Duck Tour. Will have to study on that some more.

Halifax we will probably just do the trolley around the town and maybe shop and visit a museum. Just drink in the atmosphere. :)

Are you staying in NYC for a night or two??

Vada

In Bar Harbor, we enjoyed renting a bike at the bike shop 2 blocks from the dock and riding the scenic carriage trails through Acadia National Park.

How do you get the bikes to/from Acadia? Does the bike shop shuttle you or do you ride up to Acadia? If you ride there, how far and difficult a ride is it from Bar Harbor to the park? TIA!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The weather here in the fall can be anything! Last fall our October had days in the 70's and low 80's for a good part of the month as well as 70's almost all November. Christmas day we had mid 60's so who knows. An average October is 50's during the day with near freezing at night. I would bring a variety of clothing. Chances are it'll be chilly but the last couple of years have been unseasonably warm that time of year. Have a wonderful time up here and I hope the weather is pleasant!:)

Archived