Experienced family cruisers-packing question?

mommyof4girls

I am really excited now b/c we are leaving Friday night for the drive down to FL for our 4nt CCL cruise! Woo Hoo :D This will be our first cruise. We will be gone for a week including travel time.

Can an experienced family cruiser please confirm my packing plan for our family of 6? My 4 DDs are all young (2, 4, 6 & 8). Does this sound about right?

For each DD (almost the same list for me as well ;) ) : 5 fancy sundresses (1 extra in case of spills) for dinners (all matching so DDs look too cute!), 2 bathing suits, 1 cover-up, 1 night-gown, 4 shorts/t-shirt outfits, 2 capri/t-shirt outfits, zip-up hoodie sweatshirt, sun hat, watershoes, flipflops, nice white sandles for evening and 10 pair underwear (kids can never have too many pair right :p ).

I am packing 1 handheld leapster game each, 2 books for each age, some coloring/color-wonder books, beach toys and some other small toys that can get wet. Also included: floatie-suits for the 2 little DDs, toiletries, walkie talkies, post-it notes, highlighter, camera, lots of sunscreen and duct tape :rolleyes: !

Am I forgetting anything REALLY important for the kids?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and bring child appropriate over the counter meds. I brought several different kinds last time with my 2. I never had to use them (thank goodness), but it was nice to know I had them. They are available in the ship's doctor's office and usually in the gift shop, but they are VERY expensive. I would suggest children's motrin, children's motrin cold, and Pepto Bismol at least.

Oh, and you mentioned one nightgown each, right? I would bring one more. If they get the one dirty, you'll be doing laundry in your sink! I would also bring one complete "warm" outfit, like sweat pants, sweat shirt and a sweater each. Even though you're going to very warm climate, different areas of the ship can get a little chilly.

I would pack something for sea-sickness. I needed for DS on every cruise. I used bodine for him. Also, if you are flying I would take triametic orange for the ears. This is what my doctor recomends for flying with children. And don't leave home without the favorite lambie, bear, blanket (you get the idea);)

Thanks for all of the fantastic advice! I have gotten most of the things you all listed packed. I also included an long white t-shirt for each DD that can double as a nightgown if needed or to wear over swimsuit on the beach if the sun is too much.

A couple of questions?

-Re: seasickness-I have heard that to wait until the cruise to find out if anyone indeed gets sick before giving meds b/c of the side effects. Is this true? Also, somewhere I saw that the ship will give you Bodine for free. I looked into the seabands, but I don't think my DDs would keep them on for long and they cost $10 per set. I would hate to spend $60 on them and have them taken off & lost w/in the first 5 minutes.

-Yes the sundresses match each other. My DDs are used to this b/c Grandma made the dresses for a Disney World trip and they wore them w/o complaining last fall. Each dress is actually a Disney pattern but subtle. I think they don't mind b/c they are proud that Grandma made them. I am sure that they may want to change after dinner into more casual clothes if going to Camp Carnival (so they don't look like dorks for their new friends! LOL). It really does help DH and I keep "count" of them in public places, so it serves a purpose while making them look super cute. I know I don't have many years left that they will let Mom dress them alike!

-Do you bring a regulation life vest for the kids or rely on the ships? My kids are used to wearing their vests b/c we used to live on a lake. I am planning on bringing floation vests for my two little ones to use at the pool & at Atlantis but they are not coast guard approved.

I swear there is no such thing as packing light for a family of 6! I am trying to be organized though. Thanks again everybody!

-Re: seasickness-I have heard that to wait until the cruise to find out if anyone indeed gets sick before giving meds b/c of the side effects. Is this true? Also, somewhere I saw that the ship will give you Bodine for free. I looked into the seabands, but I don't think my DDs would keep them on for long and they cost $10 per set. I would hate to spend $60 on them and have them taken off & lost w/in the first 5 minutes.

Bonine isn't approved for children under 12, so finding the proper dosage for your little ones would be difficult. We use the children's chewable Dramamine, which can be found at most pharmacies (except Target, I've noticed). It's a large orange pill that can be split for different ages according to the dosages listed on the back of the box. We have noticed no unpleasant side effects--not even drowsiness--from the children's Dramamine. DS and DD both get horribly carsick, but they have never been seasick. We have never had to give them motion sickness meds on a ship at all. Hope you have a great trip!!!

Maybe two sippy cups for your youngest (so at least one will be clean)? They have straws for drinks, but no lids for the cups. If you do bring them, remember your sample size bottle of dish soap, of course.

Bonine isn't approved for children under 12, so finding the proper dosage for your little ones would be difficult. We use the children's chewable Dramamine, which can be found at most pharmacies (except Target, I've noticed). It's a large orange pill that can be split for different ages according to the dosages listed on the back of the box. We have noticed no unpleasant side effects--not even drowsiness--from the children's Dramamine. DS and DD both get horribly carsick, but they have never been seasick. We have never had to give them motion sickness meds on a ship at all. Hope you have a great trip!!!

Actually, the regular Dramamine (NOT the non-drowsy formula) is recommended for children as young as 2, and even what my kids pede recommended. Since this is the first cruise for all of us, I just bought one box that DH, the 2 DS (ages 9 and 8) and myself can take if necessary. Hopefully we won't need it, but I want it just in case.

Actually, the regular Dramamine (NOT the non-drowsy formula) is recommended for children as young as 2

Agreed. I recommended the children's chewable because it is flavored and scored for dividing easily. The regular Dramamine, while technically chewable, is VERY bitter if the child isn't skilled in swallowing pills whole (which mine aren't yet). Certainly, the regular option would be the ideal option for your family of older children. Hope you have a great cruise!

Archived