Upgraded Stateroom for Free Question

[size=3][i][color=#800080][font=Book Antiqua]Okay,

I have read SOOO many posts about getting free upgrades before sailing and during sailing on many different ships, including RCCL. I would like to know if anybody here has experienced it, how and why? :confused: I have read that sometimes it was because of a honeymoon, some people didn't know why, sometimes it was because of your loyalty program with them, and sometimes it was because you were able to prove you were a "local celebrity". Does anyone know what it takes to prove being a "local celebrity"?:cool: [/font][/color][/i]

[i][font=Book Antiqua][color=#800080]Your imput is much appreciated and needed! [/color][/font][/i]
[/size]

It depends on the line that you are considering, since they have differing policies. Some allow people to purchase upgraded cabins at the pier. Princess upgrades people, often just a week or so before sailing, so they can fill up the easier-to-sell cabins. We were upgraded to a full suite just 5 days before our cruise.

Many of the "upgrades" that people talk about come from booking guarantees. Basically, a guarantee insures that you will get at least the minimum cabin in the category. Sometimes you will be assigned the lowest cabin, then get re-assigned to a different cabin later. There might be several different categories of balcony cabins, for example. The location might be better, but the cabin is exactly the same. Sometimes TA's book their clients on guarantees without their knowledge, then when a reassignment comes along they claim that they secured an "upgrade" through their efforts. That's smoke-and-mirrors.

A true upgrade occurs when you move into a different class of cabin, for example, ocean-view to balcony, mini-suite to suite, etc. Check the boards for the cruise line you are considering for a better description of each line's policies and practices. One thing is true for all ships and lines: Book a cabin you know you will be happy with. Relying on upgrades can lead to disappointment.

Archived