any mariner questions

I was just on mariner of the seas august 1st western caribbean cruise. It was the best cruise ive been on yet and my family is already thinking about re booking it. If anyone has any questions about mariner of the seas please feel free to contact me by posting on here or by emailing me at Goaliegurl89@aol.com. I will do my best to answer any and all questions you might have about mariner

I was on the same cruise and I will tell you it is my opinion that your time is too early. At the earliest, you will be able to exit the ship at 7:30 am. It will take at least 45 minutes to get to the airport. Taking in consideration time to go through customs, get your luggage, and get your transportation no matter which you use, you are cutting it way to close. I would not want a flight before noon if it were me.

Tim

I have so many questions... I think it is the excitement, I sail in 45 days!

Are the formal nights Monday & Thursday? And for Thursday's formal night was it Italian night... then lobster night was Friday?

Which excursions did you do? Do you have any that you recommend?

Did you bring a cooler on board with water and drinks? Did you bring any wine onboard?

What were your favorite activities onboard? How about your favorite drinks?

Thanks!

Renee

The itinerary I was on was the Western Caribbean. It went in this order day at sea, LabadeeHaiti, Ochos Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman Cayman islands, Cozumel and another day at sea.

Your flight time should not be a problem on the day before debarkation day your room attendent leaves you luggage tags with given times when to leave.You can tell your room attendent about your early flight or you go to guest relations on the ship you can get an early departure tag for 7:45. If you take a Royal Caribbean transfer you’ll get to the airport at the latest 9. When we were in this situation as soon as we got off the transfer bus a skycap checked are luggage in,gave us our boarding passes and we were free to do whatever until it was time to board. If you are really worried about you flight still you can always change it.

The Embarkation day and the first day at sea were somewhat gloomy but the weather was nice for the rest of the week. Im not sure about rough seas but in comparison to my last cruise you could defininetly feel the ship rocking and rolling more than usual but it wasn’t a problem.

Yes the formal nights were Monday and Thursday and Thursday was Italian and Friday was lobster. In my opinion they should have switched the two because hardly anyone ate at main seating on Friday because it was the one day where we were in port 7:00 and everyone was very tired. We planned on doing excursions but being the procrastinaters we are we never booked any thru royal Caribbean. Instead we did our own thing for example in Jamaica we got a taxi remember if you choose to do this only get taxis with red tags preferably from the juta company because they are with the government so they are safe.Our driver Clinton for 40$ for 2 people took us on a 2 and a half our interactive tour of ochos rios. First we went to fern gully he told us all about its history then took us into the rain forest and educated us on the names and uses of different exotic plants, he showed us caves and local craft shops he personally knew the owners of. Then he took us to Dunn river falls we didn’t want to really climb it so we just walked around it and took pictures. Then he dropped us off at island village one of jamaicas largest shopping complexes near the ship home of Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville where we later ate after an afternoon of shopping. It’s a pretty exciting place to eat theres always games and music and they have a water slide that runs thru the bar. Also in Cozumel we really wanted to see some sort of mayan ruin so right at the pier we got a taxi to go to the closest ruin area which was San gervasio. It wasn’t much but it was still brag worthy for a reasonable price. Theres a 6 dollar entrance fee .We spent about an 1hour there then our driver dropped us off at the beginning of the strip of shops by the ship.The taxi was 25$. Also just to let you know when you see something in pesos just divide it by 11 to get the US amount.We didn’t exactly bring a cooler we just stuffed about 50 sodas and waters into our suitcase and then stocked the mini fridge with them (if you didn’t know every room has a mini fridge, something we were surprised to find out).We didn’t bring any wine onboard because 1 im not old enough and 2 my mom doesn’t drink. Our favorite activities onboard were the quest (adults only game),watching love and marriage game show,ice skating,midnight buffets, swimming,the shows and for me the teen activities.

Overall experience onboard was wonderful compared to other cruises we have been on. It was non stop activities and fun. Regardless of the amount of other passangers on the ship we always felt ,when it came to service, we were the only ones there(not bad for the second biggest ship in the world). My absolute most favorite show was the bon voyage show on the first day at sea. It was preformed by Frans studio of dance from oxon hill, Maryland. In my opinion it was broadway show quality, it was great, I had a hard time believing all the majority of the dancers were my age. They did things such as scenes from Chicago and other great musicals. Unfortunetly they were just visiting and probably wont be on there again. The ports were all great the only problems we had were pushy locals trying to get us to look at their stores and buy stuff in Haiti . In grand Cayman can you say exspensive it cost us 75 US dollars for lunch at hard rock cafe because they don’t tell you the prices aren’t in American dollars till later but luckily there wasn’t anything special to buy there it was just a repeat of Jamaica. The only thing we bought there was rum cake and jewelry. We didn’t go on any excursions there but our tablemates raved about the sting ray city tours even though one girl left with a sting ray bite on her Birthday of all days.

Hi Goaliegurl, Great review, sounds like you had a fun time! Can you tell me more about the stingray bite? I was thinking of bringing my 9 & 11 year olds to stingray city next year, thought they would love it. Was it a bad bite or just a nip? Also, how long did it take to get to the Myan ruins that you saw? I don't think that I want to go on RCI's 8hour tour, but would love for the kids to see something educational! Did you go to any beaches?

I have been bitten by Stingrays before. They don't really bite though, they just suck on your skin and it leave a mark like a large hickey. It did not hurt when it happened, but it did freak me out as I did not know what was happeneing at the time. All in all, the stingrays are very friendly and I see lots of kids go on this tour.

- Jeff

Archived