Question for Sunniebgi

East Coaster

Hi,

I have been following your advice and would much appreciate if you could recommend a beach as we are a group of 9 ranging from teens to 50's traveling to Barbados in November.

Some want to snorkel and others want to just swim. A nice tree lined beach is what I think our group would like as the trees will provide shade.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for asking...

My first choice would be Accra Beach on the south coast as I think it's a great beach for all ages. Nice Tree lined areas for shade, good swimming areas for everyone, good places in the area to get food, either from a local Vendor (I recommend Patricia at De Rock and yes she is a friend of mine) or from Chefette (fast food - chicken mainly) or a variety of things at Quayside Center. There is snorkeling, not tons, but some at the man made reef just off shore.. very swimmable distance.

My next choice would be Paynes Bay on the West coast.. the biggest draw back is that most of the trees are gone, so not much shade, but the waters around there are great for swimming and snorkeling. the Blue Monkey Beach bar (which i'm not thrilled by) is a place for food, and they also do beach chairs and umbrellas.. but again.. I don't like that whole scene. There is a guy a little further up the beach where we usually go that does rent beach chairs and I think umbrellas but it's not part of a bar area.

I've just resently been to Mullins Beach on the Upper West Coast and while the swimming area is great, again, the tree situation is a problem (although this might just be were we had our things.) the other problem for me anyway is Mullins Beach Bar (or is it Mannies Suga Suga) who think they own the beach area in front of the bar and put all their umbrellas and chairs there. didn't take a walk down the beach to check it out..

I hope this helps.. let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thank you!! We are looking for just a relaxing day at the beach. Half of us have been to Barbados before and did the tour of the island along with Harrison's Cave, etc. This trip we want to enjoy the beaches!

There have been quite a few posts for Boatyard Beach but it seems to get crowded with all the amenities.

Is Accra Beach far from the cruise port? Do you recommend taking a taxi or the local bus?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

As there are 9 of you, I would recommend a taxi. it's maybe about a 20min ride from the port.. maybe more maybe less depending on traffic. (you have to go through the middle of Bridgetown to get there.

Boatyard isn't bad, but not sure it's what you are looking for. You pay to get into the restaurant and bar area and you get the use of their beach chairs. You have to pay for an umbrella (and there is no other shade). You do get use of their non motorized water equipment (trampolines, swings etc..) The beaches are free in Barbados, so you are only paying for the facilites. At Accra there are public facilites as well as places to get food and drink..

• 4 months later...

Archived