Take passport on excursions?

segovia2007

We are leaving on 6/3 on the Carnival Liberty (stopping in Freeport, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman). I have booked a few excursions (kayaking in Grand Cayman and the sailing and snorkeling tour in Freeport). My question is: will we need to carry our U.S. passports while off of the ship? I can't imagine a way to keep my passport dry while I will be snorkeling - I realize this is a silly question but... I had to ask. Thank you!!

For our first cruise earlier this year, we thought long & hard about this, and decided not to take our passports on shore excursions.

1) First port - took Sail & Sign card + Drivers' licence

2) Second port - took Sail & Sign Card only

3) Third port - Ditto

Ref snorkeling - left the S&S cards & DLs on the excursion boat, together with our small amount of money, camera etc.

Make a copy of your passport to carry ashore with you along with another picture ID. Worst case scenario......if you miss the boat and have at least a copy of your passport, it will facilitate your getting a duplicate passport at the local US embassy or consulate.

Personal choice and you will get strong opinions, some people will not step foot on foreign soil without one, yet still millions are cruising this year and don't have a passport because it is not yet a requirment.

If a disaster happens and you miss the ship, you can still get around, and you will still be allowed to fly home.

Kind of funny so many worry about it, but when you cruise the med, you surrender your passport for many countries who require that and you go ashore without one... I wonder if those jittery people just stay on the ship:confused:

I agree with above no need to take your passport with you. I did make a copy of my passpost to have with me in some weird just in case thing. However your set sail pass is what you need to get on and off your ship. My thoughts are your passport is just to valuable to take around on excursions to get lost. Take a driver's license for a pic ID if you feel you want one, they don't cost nearly as much to replace.

I think we'll just take our sail & sign card along with our drivers licenses. Does the Carnival Liberty have a safe in each cabin (as most hotels usually have one in a closet)? Thanks for all the continuing advice folks! I am so glad this site exists and has all of your helpful advice!

We are leaving on 6/3 on the Carnival Liberty (stopping in Freeport, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman). I have booked a few excursions (kayaking in Grand Cayman and the sailing and snorkeling tour in Freeport). My question is: will we need to carry our U.S. passports while off of the ship? I can't imagine a way to keep my passport dry while I will be snorkeling - I realize this is a silly question but... I had to ask. Thank you!!

You do not need a passport on the ports. Just make sure that you are inside the ship at the all aboard time. If you miss the ship you will need a passport and a credit card with lots of credit , in order to fly to the next port overnight . If you miss the ship and don't have the passport and credit , you are fried. Really fried . Lousy situation if that happens. The ship sails away with your money , your documents and you luggage .You stay behind in a foreign country without documentation or money. I can n't think of anything worse happening on a cruise.

Archived