Med Cruise: Port or Starboard???

Going from Barcelona to Venice, etc--are the views better from port or starboard? Love seeing docks, land, etc. and am trying to decide a cabin to book.

Thanks!!! :)

The absolute truth is that it doesn't really matter that much...When going in that direction, most of Venice will be on your Starboard side as you sail in...and that is the one truly tremendous sight you can see from the ship on this route...

But, the rest of the cruise, you are usually too far from land to see much except when pulling into or leaving port...or when docked...

But, with so much to see in each port, you won't be hanging around your cabin while in port to enjoy the view...

And, sorry to say, the ports themselves are generally not in the most scenic areas...and they are often far from the actual cities...

Citiavecchia, Naples, Livorno, Pireaus and Barcelona ports are not all that attractive...

In Santorini and Villefranche, you tender in, so, you can never tell how the ship will be oriented (on our Millennium cruise, though, I do remember that with the way we were pointed when anchored, the better views were, again, Starboard)...

So, I guess I would say, try Starboard...But, it's not an overwhelming endorsement...If you're on port, you can always view the Venice sail-in from the top deck...In fact, because of the angles, the top deck is really an impressive view...it's like getting aerial shots of San Marco...

Good luck...

Archived