Cigar Smoking on the Xpedition

OK, did I touch a nerve or something? I didn't mean to.

HH

No, I don't think so. Your original question is a good, factual questions, and I hope someone will give you a good, factual answer.

It was more the over-the-top response, which I think was in jest, that you should smoke them anywhere that got my attention, and reminds me of some of the threads I have read.

Smoking is a common subject here. IMHO, it is sometimes brought up solely so that the poster can announce what is "right," and to instruct others. From what I have seen, it all too frequently degenerates into something close to name-calling.

I would try to answer your question, but I am not sure about the rules on Expedition--are they different rule-wise than "regular" X ships. On "regular" X ships, it appears that cigars and pipes can only be smoked is specific, designated areas.

This is from the Celebrity website. (Be aware, that even the meaning of this has been recently argued on these boards!)

What is your onboard smoking policy?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Cigarette smoking only is allowed in suites/staterooms.

Cigarette smoking only is permitted on the port-side of most public lounges and deck areas.

Smoking is not allowed in all dining venues and the Show Lounge.

Pipe and cigar smoking only permitted in designated areas.

Please ask the Guest Relations Desk for information about these areas.

There are no non-smoking staterooms.

Thanks for the straight answer. The reason I posted the question is because both the ship and the itinery are so different from other cruises that I have been on. I know that most ships do have a designated cigar smoking area and even have scheduled events like "CIGARS UNDER THE STARS". At other times, you can usually go ashore and find a park bench or some other place to relax and fire up. But since this ship is so small and the islands so fragile, I thought I'd see if any previous XPEDITION cruisers had any first hand knowledge on what is permitted as I would choose to not smoke at all onboard rather than offend a fellow traveler with my cigar smoke.

HH

One of our cruising friends went on the Xpedition, and is a HEAVY cigarette smoker. His pictures show him smoking in the Discovery Lounge, but he doesn't remember anyone smoking a cigar..................

He did say that it was the BEST trip of his life..............

Since no one responding as yet has any personal experience on Xpedition, I would follow the Celebrity site guidelines as posted by StknCPA.

Anything you read here, unless from someone with actual onboard Xpedition experience, doesn't matter.

Regards

I just returned from XPedition. Smoking was only allowed outside, at the Beagle Grill, deck 4 aft, starboard side and nowhere else. Don't expect any 'big ship' things like a 'cigars under the stars' night or something; the outside area is way too small for that, or for any event whatsoever. On most shore excursions (or zodiac landings) smoking isn't allowed either, since most of the islands are uninhabited and it is just you and the wildlife.

This cruise is truly a 'once in a lifetime experience'... the best ever. There are simply no words to describe it. You will have the time of your life, as had everybody on our sailing. (And I really mean everybody, because by the end of the week, you know all your 75 or so fellow passengers.)

Floris

I just returned from XPedition. Smoking was only allowed outside, at the Beagle Grill, deck 4 aft, starboard side and nowhere else. Don't expect any 'big ship' things like a 'cigars under the stars' night or something; the outside area is way too small for that, or for any event whatsoever. On most shore excursions (or zodiac landings) smoking isn't allowed either, since most of the islands are uninhabited and it is just you and the wildlife.

This cruise is truly a 'once in a lifetime experience'... the best ever. There are simply no words to describe it. You will have the time of your life, as had everybody on our sailing. (And I really mean everybody, because by the end of the week, you know all your 75 or so fellow passengers.)

Floris

Returned May 14th. Cigar smoking was allowed and did take place on the deck outside the Beagle Grill area.

I just returned from XPedition. Smoking was only allowed outside, at the Beagle Grill,

This cruise is truly a 'once in a lifetime experience'... the best ever. You will have the time of your life, as had everybody on our sailing. (And I really mean everybody, because by the end of the week, you know all your 75 or so fellow passengers.)

Floris

Floris always has some great posts and factual information.

You know, I emailed X on that question. Actually the response could have been interpreted multiple ways. I'll take some cigars and enjoy them if I can. If not, it won't bother me. Thanks again to all. I'll clarify this question for others when I get back on the 12th.

HH

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday. If anyone is interested in smoking cigars, I can now assure you that you can smoke cigars onboard the Xpedition. You can smoke on the port side of the outside decks. However, there really is so little time. There were 4 or 5 people that I saw smoking cigars. Although the ship is small, there were several times when we had those decks to ourselves.

HH

Just got back yesterday. If anyone is interested in smoking cigars, I can now assure you that you can smoke cigars onboard the Xpedition. You can smoke on the port side of the outside decks. However, there really is so little time. There were 4 or 5 people that I saw smoking cigars. Although the ship is small, there were several times when we had those decks to ourselves.

HH

So, it is good you brought them!

HH

So, besides the open cigar smoking lounge (:p), how was the rest of the trip??

So, besides the open cigar smoking lounge (:p), how was the rest of the trip??

It was the most amazing vacation we ever took! Everything you read here about this cruise is absolutely true. Despite all I read and prepared prior to departing, the Galapagos still managed to exceed my expectation. I hope to go again.

HH

Archived