Deadliest Catch crabbers to set up tourist boat in Ketchikan

flagger

Funny you mentioned this......evidently 4 of the captains from the show are in Charlotte this weekend for the big Nascar race. Capt. Phil was on the radio this morning when I got in my car to go to work! If I were even the teensiest bit of a Nascar fan, I would go down there and look them up!

Our whole family loves the show!

Our family loves the Deadliest Catch. I booked a tour with Princess in Ketchican the other day that goes on crab boat (Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feed) and I jokingly said its like the "Deadliest Catch". Then see this post and see that they (the Deadliest Catch) will be up there doing excursions on their ship. I relooked at our excursion and "DARN!!" its not "the" Deadliest Catch excursion. Oh well we will love doing our excursion anyway.

This is great! DH and I love that show!

According to this story, they expected to be in Ketchikan by May 20.

http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/another-update-on-fv-sea-stars-conversion-to-tourist-attraction/

On their site (http://www.seastartours.com/) they say if you don't want to take the tour you can still visit the onboard gift shop.

We'll have to check it our before our afternoon tour with Island Wings. :D

Cheers!

Jayne

Well darn!! Ketchikan is the only port NOT on our trip this year. DH and I are also HUGE fans of "Deadliest Catch". Sig is our favorite! We'll just have to book again for Alaska next year, and make sure we 'catch' Ketchikan that trip!:D

Amanda

The official RCCL tour is a little more than $20... for our Sept 14th sailing the following excursion is available in Ketchikan for $205 p/p!!! From the RCCL website:

"Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour"

Set sail with the F/V Aleutian Ballad on a once-in-a-lifetime journey. Experience commercial fishing so real that you can hold a Red King Crab while on deck of one of the Alaskan crab vessels that captured the imagination of the world on the Discovery Channel's™ Deadliest Catch ™. Series. Share their way of life and lessons learned from the treacherous Bering Sea.

Set sail aboard the fishing vessel Aleutian Ballad in the calm protected seas of southeast Alaska for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Alaska’s commercial fishing from the deck of a seasoned vessel. It is the same vessel seen on the Discovery Channel's™ popular Deadliest Catch™ program, modified for safety and comfort.

The experience is so real that you can touch and hold a Red King Crab in your hands. Have your picture taken with this, or one of the other sea creatures, as they are pulled from the water! Knowledgeable fishermen and guides will share with you their vibrant way of life. Stories from those who have learned the harsh and treacherous lessons of the Bering Sea and survived to harvest a plentiful catch bound for markets around the world. As lines are pulled up, you will see why the waters surrounding Alaska have been described as an undersea paradise. Under the currents and waves that shield them from view, numerous species abound. Those brought to the surface will be placed in a live tank for observation or gently released back into the wild.

I think that one is actually going out on a boat. The 20$ one is the boat is in the in the harbor and you look around

I'm sure you are correct. However, I can probably get my Deadliest Catch fix for $20 on shore listening to a captain tell a story just as well as spending $205 floating around for a couple hours! :)

I'm sure you are correct. However, I can probably get my Deadliest Catch fix for $20 on shore listening to a captain tell a story just as well as spending $205 floating around for a couple hours! :)

Yes, they're two different things. The $20 tour is on the Sea Star and is docked. The other one you referenced sounds great! But, I think we'll just be doing the Sea Star tour--DH will be happy to get a Deadliest Catch baseball cap! :)

Cheers!

Jayne

I'm soooo excited!! I love Sig!! How far is the boat away from the cruise ships? Has anyone done this tour and have you actually seen Sig? I'll be in Ketchiken in late June. Will definately get there before the float plane trip. :D

I received and email yest. from the F/V ALEUTIAN BALLAD, I had requested there availability for july 14th (when we would be in ketchican). The reply was, that they will be ready for tours on july 25 which is to late for us. oh well. The BERING SEA CRAB FISHERMAN'S TOUR web site is www.56degreesnorth.com for someone interested that will be there 25th or after. We are still looking for a crab tour (not the george outlet one) the one I found on www.dollyvardenalaska.com tour site has a minimum of 8 to go out but the coral princess is the only ship in port that day so I would have to round up 6 more people to go from our ship. This tour is helping set a pot and then scenic cruise for a while , see some wildlife and come back and pick up pot, then they cook what you catch on the boat and you eat it right there. If we don't get to do that will still go tour the Seastar.

I went to the Ketchikan visitors web site suggested and did not find any mention of this new tour. We should keep everyone posted as new information comes available. I will be in ketchikan on July 5th and can also post upon return. If the sea star is there-we'll find her.

Maureen

I can give you some info on the Aleutian Ballad. She is in Charleston, Oregon in drydock at the moment. She is getting her final paint job next week and should be put back in the water about June 15th. The final retro fitting takes place and then the Coast Guard will do there inspection. If all goes well she should be headed for, and arrive in Ketchikan by end of June. Corky, may be the Captain. If any of you saw the episode where the Aleutian Ballad was hit by the wave that rolled her, Corky was the Captain. Anyway, my friend will be in Charleston on Monday to help finish up the painting, etc. Hope this helps alittle.

Archived