Athens - tour to Delphi

scdreamer

We will be in Athens for three days in mid-October before our Insignia (Athens to Venice) cruise. We're looking at a private tour to Delphi - just not exactly sure how long a drive it is. It will be in a private car, so I am imagining it should be less time than the buses, which supposedly take three hours each way. Has anyone done Delphi as a day trip out of Athens? I know it is a very important site, and my husband feels it's a "must-do" - Any comments or suggestions are welcome ... thanks.

It is a long drive, and not much to see along the way, but I thought it was worth it. The ruins aren't too spectacular, but because of that you can stand on the spot where the oracle sat. To me, that was amazing. And, while there are plenty of tourists, because it is so isolated it is not over-run, like the Acropolis.

So my advice, if you are looking for amazing buildings and statuary, not the trip for you, if you get a thrill out of standing on a sacred spot, you will love it. Also, the spartan school is just down the road, within sight of delphi. Again, not too much there, but gives you a sense of place. BTW, has DH read about the recent discovery of fissures emitting carbon gas beneath the oracle?

We did this trip a couple years ago, when we had a cruise that embarked in Athens. We used George the famous taxi driver's car service. This is a driver only (not a guide!) but they are on time, and very pleasant. We used this same car/driver service again a couple years later for a day excursion out to Mykenos. Delphi was beautiful and I'm sure you will enjoy it. We stopped and had lunch at a restaurant, I wish I could remember the name of it, but it had a patio on the back, that was completely open and we could see over the rolling hills all the way to the sea. It was GORGEOUS. The view was so fabulous I don't remember what I ate! Go to Matt Barrett's Greek travel website, and he has all George's taxi service info. www.greektravel.com

Hope that helps!

Judy

We also did Delphi as a day trip in 1995 and it was one of the highlights of our visit to Athens.

It is set in beautiful surroundings and we felt it was well worth the long drive. We also had lunch at a restaurant in a small town with lovely views.

If you have a few spare days I would definitely do it.

Jennie

Thank you for the informative replies!

We have booked the day trip to Delphi, with a return along a different route, through Thermopylae, where we are to have a soak in the hot springs. Our tour guide has assured us we will be able to stop anywhere we wish along the way there and back to explore or to have a meal. So far, it sounds wonderful ... now all we have to do is count the days remaining until October.

Archived