Accesible Ports of Call

We are cruising the end of September and I am looking for things my DH can do while in our ports of call by Wheelchair, (either power chair or collapsible)

I was thinking of the Freedom Trail in Boston and maybe Bean Town Trolly.

In Halifax I thought we could do the Peggy's Cove by taxi and the Board Walk.

In Saint John if possble take the walk to the Reversing Falls and or a taxi ride or rent a car to St. Martins and the Bay of Fundy. I love water falls and covered bridges.

Portland we will probably just stay around the ship. I haven't checked it out much, except to find a place to have Lobster.

What I need to know about these places is if they are wheelchair accessible, are we talking smooth walk ways or cobblestone streets.

I would appreciate any help. I thank everyone who has posted on the boards, your information has been a tremendous help.

Karen

We are also crusing up to Canada for a 10 day trip and would love to have an answer to the OP's questions and a few of my own!!

Are there places we would be able to store/include a folding wheelchair for our DD? The trollys and horse and carraige rides sound great, but what do we do with the wheelchair? Our trip is also mid September and would appreciate tips on clothing.

Appreciate your help, Thanks.

If at all possible, most tourist destinations will be wheelchair accessible. You might want to be forewarned that Halifax, Peggy's Cove and Saint John have some fairly steep hills. As for cobble stones, you may run into the odd street with cobblestones, depending where you are. I will probably be in Peggy's cove and Halifax before Sept so maybe I can give

better advice then.

Reversing Falls is more rapids then falls. And you really have to be there at the changing of the tides to get the full effect (that happens once every 12 hours). Bay of Fundy is quite beautiful and I think worth the trip.

Where to store wheelchairs while on a tour, I can't answer, I'm sure some locals might have better knowledge of that.

Weather in September is hard to predict. If you look at past experience, you can have warm days, I would say average temps in the 70s cooling down at night to 50s. But with global warming, hard to know what to predict anymore. I'd say bring your shorts and long pants and fleece.

Halifax, Saint John and Peggy's Cove are prone to fog, I would say more so in September. Can get pretty damp. And of course it sure affects the viewing of any scenic vistas.

Some pics of Reversing Falls

[

I live in Saint John so can only comment on this port of call. All uptown shopping attractions (Old City Market, Brunswick Square and Market Square) are wheelchair accessible, either by ramp or elevators - actually all three complexes are connected by an inside pedway system. Harbour Passage trail around the harbour is fully wheelchair accessible, however this trail does not go all the way to Reversing Falls - you would have to continue on a busy street - however I think it's too far for a wheelchair (40 min walk from cruise ship to Reversing Falls).

There are no cobblestone streets in Saint John. The main street uptown is a slight hill, however you can overcome this by going to market square complex and working your way up the hill inside via the inside connection pedway using elevators. On top is the Old City Market meaning its all down hill back to the cruise ship.

You can easily take a 5 min cab ride to Reversing Falls - there are no taxis with wheelchair lifts but friendly taxi drivers more than happy to put chair in trunk and assist you. I'm sure a taxi will take you to St. Martin's for covered bridge, but may be more economical to take cruiseship tour _ i would hope bus can assist wheelchair pax. If you would like to rent a car, AVIS Rent-A-Car is across the street and 1 block to the left of cruise ship right on Water St.

Hope this helps - if you have more specific question about Saint John, just ask me.

Thanks.

Andrew

We are also crusing up to Canada for a 10 day trip and would love to have an answer to the OP's questions and a few of my own!!

Are there places we would be able to store/include a folding wheelchair for our DD? The trollys and horse and carraige rides sound great, but what do we do with the wheelchair? Our trip is also mid September and would appreciate tips on clothing.

Appreciate your help, Thanks.

The horse drawn trolley operators will place your fold-up wheelchair in the trolley and assist you.

Sept is pleasant weather wise, but can be considerably cooler by the water certain times of the day - depending whether the fog is in or out - so I would bring a light weight jacket you can wear. Trolleys provide blankets on cooler days to cover your lap and hands.

Those are great tips. Can you tell us more about the horse drawn trolley? Is it near the ship dock? Do you know the name of the company or cost?

You have been a great help. Thanks.

Those are great tips. Can you tell us more about the horse drawn trolley? Is it near the ship dock? Do you know the name of the company or cost?

You have been a great help. Thanks.

They are called Turn of the Century Trolley Tours offering narrated tours of the old part of the city. They are lined up beside the ship waiting for people to join them. They are very popular. I'm not sure of the cost, but the gentleman's number is 506-633-7659

The ship offers this as an excursion - but why pay the huge mark-up??? Just do it on your own I say. At the end of the tour they let you off at the Old City Market (accessible for mob. impaired) or you have the option of continuing back down to the cruise ship.

In addition, there is a second operator - I don't know anything about them - suffice to say if they are offering the service at the port they have been checked out and are legit.

Archived