Roll Call August 4 Istanbul Black Sea

xcamtv

We were wait listed on the same cruise- chose to rebook for Aug 08- opted for Regents Navigator Monte Carlo to FLL this year- would love to hear your opnion of ports etc- board is lacking in info- Have a great trip- we've not sailed on seabourne but the collective wisdom on tis board assures me me it will be as good, if not better than SS or Regent experiences. Enjoy.

Regards.

Rick

I will skip specifics on Istanbul as there is much information. I will, however, note that it is one of my favorite cities with friendly people, unbelievable culture, great food...and, of course, shopping. I can, if requested, give a bit more specifics.

Yalta - I guess the best way to describe Yalta is "the USSR is alive and relatively well". While it is interesting to see the palace where the Yalta Conference was held, getting there for us took a number of hours because - in true communist fashion - there were lines, poor entry roads, and no one in a hurry to resolve anything. Our guide (through Regent) 3 years ago spent most of the tour explaining why things were better before democracy. The port is a bit stark, but is right on top of the recreational beaches.

Sevastopol - You can have a good look at the Russian navy across from the ship. The city itself doesn't really have much to offer. There is a local craft marketplace which had dozens of stalls selling exactly the same things as the concept of a free market had only begun to take hold when I was there. Some please did visit a very large diorama which they said was interesting, but most said it was not worth the trip. I consider this a 1.5 hour walk around town and back on the ship kind of port.

Odessa - This was a great, and surprising, port. You can find any and everything there. Beautiful architecture, shopping (Gucci, Prada, etc.), gardens, etc. There is a truly moving Holocaust Memorial that gives me chills just writing about it. I also spent time at one of the two remaining synagogues which is run by a very eloquent and dedicated rabbi. It was very moving.

Nesebur - Another wonderful port. There is a little shopping/craft market right by the tender dock. Get some local honey! We toured the countryside and visited a local house with a self-contained mini-farm for a walk-around and lunch. Obvious Soviet-built simple house with lovely people. Very eye-opening. We also visited a Russian Orthodox church that was similarly very interesting. The priest was a former Bulgarian rock star with a very charming, and intelligent, wife.

That's a start. I will give more info on other ports later...if this is the kind of info you are looking for.

OK, but you know people pay lots of money for info like this!:D

Again, I will skip Istanbul unless people want the info again.

Kusadasi "is" Ephesus (or Efes), one of the best preserved Roman cities. It is a treasure trove of photographic opportunities...and the home of a not to be missed Seabourn Experience. I would suggest starting at the top and walking down the hill rather than the more common other way. It gives you a much better perspective of the city and the Library. The acoustics in the amphitheater are also interesting. Don't miss the toilets! Shopping is excellent, but it is Turkey so be careful and bargain. (Boy do I have a story! All good.)

Bodrum - It is not my favorite. Sort of overrun with British tourists with prices and ripoffs coupled with it. Some interesting things, though.

Santorini - My favorite island. If you are adventurous, take the donkeys up the hill (rather than the tram), but I would strongly recommend you not take them down. Minoan ruins, black/brown/red beaches, awesome shopping and great food. We always rent a car and drive. From Fira (Thira) it is right to the ruins and beachs, left to Qia (which is best for dining and art). Fira is great for photos and jewelry.

I haven't been to Crete.

Naplion is fantastic. Go to the Mycenaean (sp?) ruins and then a walk around town. There is some awesome shopping hidden, if you have the right private guide. I love this port!

Athens, like Istanbul, has plenty of info. If you want any, let me know.

Corfu is also nice. I haven't really had a lot of time there, but I did meet some really nice people...once you get out of the shopping district. I do not remember the name of the small local restaurant, but it is on one the street overlooking the ocean where we had an unbelievable seafood feast for very little money. Only catch: No English is spoken.

I haven't yet been to the other ports, but I do love Croatia and its people. Nothing but good...ever.

If you need more info, just let me know.

It definitely is MY favourite and you know what? I will have the pleasure of enjoying it once more in this life! I was moved to tears last time and I'm afraid I will be again by the end of July (or early August).

I hope the quartet will play Pachelbel's Canon again, so touching!

After we do the Black Sea, we will be in Ephesus. We have booked a car and driver for 4 hours to see more of the area and the ruins by day. Then back to Spirit for a nap and get ready for our evening experience in Ephesus. Jim

Archived