Question about being born abroad

majosa

My husband is a U.S. citizen. While his dad was in the army he was born in Germany. So the birth certificate that he has is from Germany. It has a raised seal on it and all. I just want to make sure this is good enough.:confused:

We were told to bring a letter of proof of citizenship alone with the BC but where were to get this letter. So then they finally were advised to get a passport which we did and it was a big relief. We took his BC and proof of his dad's military papers and then we had it.

My husband is a U.S. citizen. While his dad was in the army he was born in Germany. So the birth certificate that he has is from Germany. It has a raised seal on it and all. I just want to make sure this is good enough.:confused:

Youngest son born in 1988 in Germany while we were stationed at Hahn Airbase. He has 2 pieces of ID he has to use.

1-Birth Abroad-Raised Seal

2-American Birth Aboard Information Sheet

It takes both forms for either one to be good.

We have been on several cruises. He uses these plus his photo. With him going to college now we have started the passport process for him to make things easier.

Don't know if this helps but you might want to look for the second form.

I'm also an "Air Force Brat" born in Germany. In addition to the 2 documents you mentioned, I also take my US Naturalization Papers showing that I am an American citizen (all originals with raised seals). I've never had any problems...only funny remarks about all my paperwork.

I was born in Heidelburg, Germany in 1963 while my father was in the Army. I have a German B.C. as well as an American B.C. The American B.C. may have been issued on the Army Base.

He may want to find out if this is the case with him as well.

I've only needed the American B.C. for my passport application and marriage license, I've never been asked to produce the German version.

He should also have a form called a FS240, the official document from the government stating he is a US citizen. If he doesn't have this form, go here: http://travel.state.gov/family/family_issues/birth/birth_593.html and scroll about half way down, it gives instructions on how to apply for a replacement!

Have a great cruise!

I am a "military Brat" born in Munich in 1960 I have a DD who was born in 1980 in Nueremburg--we went on line to the Department of State and got the information about FS240-when you fill out the paperwork and pay the $30 and get the form back it states that it is proof of US citizenship. The name of the form is Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

Archived