Glassblowing in Skagway-how is it???

meandmyguy

Trying to keep excursion costs down but would like to do this. Has anyone done this excursion that can give me an honest review. Is it worth the $$$$. ???

It's not very "Alaskan", but it's very cool. The balls you make with the artist are gorgeous.

Murray

Thanks for all the replies. I think Jewell Gardens looks like a neat place but you can tour it on your own for much cheaper-you just don't get to do the glass blowing-which IMHO is quite pricey. I am very "artsy" so this is right up my alley-but it isn't very "Alaska" and I can probably do it locally thru Parks and Rec. We're still planning our excursions so we'll see if this makes it into the final list.

Thanks again for the opinions!:)

Trish

Thanks for all the replies. I think Jewell Gardens looks like a neat place but you can tour it on your own for much cheaper-you just don't get to do the glass blowing-which IMHO is quite pricey. I am very "artsy" so this is right up my alley-but it isn't very "Alaska" and I can probably do it locally thru Parks and Rec. We're still planning our excursions so we'll see if this makes it into the final list.

When you go to Venice you can see it for free, too :D

Murray

The glass factory in Cabo San Lucas is amazing-also free! You just show up and they will let you try it firsthand plus take special orders. My kids each picked an animal and they made it right there in front of you!

My two teenagers and I did the Jewell gardens glassblowing trip and we loved it. We have been on a lot of cruises and have done a lot of things, but this was such a personal, interesting and unique experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The glass studio master is wonderful his assistant, Sarah, is delightful and you will create a fantastic piece of art that you can keep forever.

Our tour guide, Bruce, was a fifteen year (year-round!) resident of Skagway and offered a lot of insight into the town and its surroundings.

I had initially thought this excursion was overpriced. but it's a really small group (6) and you really do get a hands-on experience with glass and a wonderful lunch at the gardens.

Have fun!:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe it is somewhere around $100 a person. Maybe $125. But it is well worth it. The glass art that they create is amazing. The garden is gorgeous. My wife kept running around and saying she felt like she was in her own "secret garden". The tea time was wonderful. They served rose hip tea, which was a first for me, I absolutely loved it and now drink it all the time. In addition to the tea they had wine and one gentleman asked for a beer and they had that as well. I would've loved to have just ate lunch there as well. Everything they serve is picked from their gardens and as you are walking around the gardens you can see the employees picking berries for people's desserts. Talk about fresh. But it's definitely an amazing experience and my favorite all-time excursion, which an awesome souvenir.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
They're seasonals from elsewhere. :(

Murray

That's not really a bad thing. There simply aren't any glassblowers in Alaska with enough experience to make it work. The people who work there are dedicated to the craft(the two main glassblowers have 40 years experience between them) and love Alaska.

Let me give everyone the low down on the tour :)

Admission to Jewell gardens isn't that much, maybe 15 dollars. You can walk the gardens purchase food service or tea. You can also hang out at the glass shop for no additional fee.

The Glass experience that is sold on the ship for 165 includes quite a bit more. The groups are limited to ten people. The group starts at the hotshop and the glassblowers take them through the making of a glass ornament. You get to pick your colors and style. The glass portion of the tour lasts 1.5 hours. Tea/brunch/lunch (depending on the time of day) is then served. Beer and wine available. Tour tour is concluded in the garden and the gift shop. I would say the tour lasts about 2.5-3.5 hours.

Jewell gardens is expanding their glassblowing facilities next year and they'll have a more diverse selection of glass tours available.

Archived