Problems booking train from Roma to Civi

This forum has always offered the best advice so here goes...

I am attempting to book the express ("ES") train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia for our return trip on June 28, 2007. We are going to purchase the BIRG and use the regional train and subway within Rome. However, as I go through the booking process for the 17:00 ES train on the selected date I am getting the "The requested train is not reservable for chosen date" error. :confused:

Any ideas on why I am not able to purchase these tickets? Is it too early?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Since its a local, commuter train, you dont have to buy tickets ahead of time. Just get the BIRG ticket at the newspaper shop before you board the train. Its one of the biggest bargains of your trip. Remember the ticket is good for the entire day and includes public transport in and around Rome too, so feel free to use the metro and busses too.

Dont forget to validate the ticket before getting aboard-use the yellow validation boxes. Happy travels in my neighborhood!

Vetralla,

Makes sense. What is the difference between the trains marked with the "R" and the trains marked with the "ES"? I just assumed the ES was the express line that you could pre purchase reserved seats. I guess that is what I get for assuming!

According to the schedule there is an ICPlus line that departs at 17:46, but since our ship is scheduled to depart at 19:00 and it is roughly an hour trip I don't think I will chance that one!

Thanks for your help!

I am also trying to book tickets from civitacchia to rome termini on 25 July at 7:30 am and am unable to do so as it says no in the "buy" column.

Do I also purchase BIRG tickets at the newstand that day?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

King'sdaughter,

As I understand it the 7:30 train marked with an "R" is a local commuter train and thus you purchase a BIRG ticket at the station. I have read several posts on this forum that have detailed instructions on how to get to the station and purchase tickets. You might try this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=513414

We are hoping to make that train as well on the 28th, but since our ship arrives at 7:00 we are going to have to hustle.

Re Birg ticket with access to local subway and buses. I only require return ticket Civviatavecchia to Rome. What tickets do I ask for and I would expect them to cost less than the BIRG ticket ?? Cost ??

Book all train tickets at your point of departure - not over the internet!

We did some budgeting for our trip last year and estimated based on ticket prices on the Eurail and Trenitalia sites. Ticket prices if booked online are MUCH more expensive.

For example - online we were quoted 150E return to go from Marseille to Avignon (for 2 people). So, we budgeted for this. When we got to the train station and bought the tickets, it came to 50Euro return for 2 people. Since we did all the port travels on our own, we noticed this with every train station we went to in Spain, France and Italy.

BOOK YOUR TICKETS at point of departure - YOU'LL SAVE A TONNE!!

Do the trains get booked up? (A stupid question, I know.)

But I'm having a hard time buying train tickets from Rome to Civitavecchia, too.

Thanks!

The "ES" train is a Euro Star train. It is an "express" and is not a regional train. I also tried to book/purchase on an ES for 6/22 and got the same message. I don't know if it means it is booked up or not. I ended up purchasing tickets for an IC (InterCity), also an express train, with departure a little later than the ES. As I understand from these Boards (and Hein Bloed's posts are a must read!), the reason for purchasing the express train tickets in advance are because you can get a reserved seat (in my case "first class"), so that if the train is filled up you have a seat. Also a/c. :)

Let me bring some order to the answers:

R = Regional trains - no purchase (anymore) via Internet.

Ticketing:

BIRG = Zone D = 4 zones = 7 EUR pp.

More details here:

http://atac.roma.it/biglietti/page.asp?p=1&i=7&lng=2&tp=3&ID=16

ICplus / ES = Long Distance Trains - purchase via Internet incl. Reservation

If you do not get any reservations anymore it could have two reasons:

1. the train is sold out - i.e. you can try to go without reservation although trains must have reservations... what can happen? The next stop is Civitavecchia or Rome and the earliest point the conductor can ask you to leave... If you do not find seats: have a cappucino or a glass of wine in the dining car... The connections you are preferring are those all business travellers prefers as it is after office!!!

2. as these are long-distance-trains they are dedicated to serve long distance travellers. It MIGHT be that when you try to book a LOCAL section the system says "No"! Any seat sold to a "local" traveller cannot be sold anymore to a long-distance-traveller.

Buying tickets in Internet.

I fully agree:

Eurail is a common sales organisation to Overseas-Travellers who do not feel comfortable to deal with the single different national companies in Europe.

Therefore there offers is limited to full refundable standard tickets and to passes for the different European countries.

The standard tickets are about 150% of the prices in Europe.

Trenitalia is the internet ticket booth of the Italian Railways and you get exactly 1:1 the same tickets like you would get at any ticket booth.

Saver tickets and specials are sold in Europe as well through the internet in advance. For saver tickets or specials you need a long pre-booking time to get them.

I would not generally say that it is cheaper to buy at the counter than in the internet.

Especially France:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com is the French Railways' website. You can book all specials like 29 EUR from Paris to Med Sea coast. But you will not get it anymore at the counter once you arrive in France because these offers are sold out.

Or France to Spain:

Locally sold: Sleeping car for 110 EUR as special while sold via Eurail for 500 USD.

Or Germany:

Locally sold: Return Warnemünde - Berlin for 80 EUR while sold via Eurail for nearly double.

So please no general discussion if you should buy with internet or not - because it's not true. You have to check case by case!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Wish to purchase a return ticket on Regional Train from Civitavecchia to Rome and will not be using buses or subway in Rome. Do not think I need a BIRG ticket but just a return ticket which should cost less than BIRG ??

Please advise cost of return ticket and the BIRG ticket.

thank you for your advice

No Problem...

a single ticket is 4.50 EUR

return = 9.00 EUR

you are not allowed to use the subways, trams and buses...

a BIRG ticket is 7.00 EUR

but incl. subways, trams and buses...

How would you decide if you are sure NOT to use subways, trams and buses???

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

Thanks for the clarification. It is really strange that it will not let me book that those tickets in advance as it lets me go through the whole process before blocking me right before the payment screen. I'll continue to check it out until we depart. If I don't get those tickets we'll just catch one of the regionals with our BIRG ticket.

I have read over quite a few of your posts regarding this train connection and all of your information and especially the pictures have been very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time out to share your knowledge with the rest of us!

Duff,

Are you on the Jewel?

~Nizz

Duff,

I was looking at that same IC train, but it is scheduled for arrival back in Civi until 6:32. I think the Jewel's scheduled departure is 7:00. :eek:

I was considering that IC train, but was concerned about cutting it too close. Your thoughts? :confused:

~Nizz

Duff,

I was looking at that same IC train, but it is scheduled for arrival back in Civi until 6:32. I think the Jewel's scheduled departure is 7:00. :eek:

I was considering that IC train, but was concerned about cutting it too close. Your thoughts? :confused:

~Nizz

Well although I am not Duff...

Let me comment:

I do not think it will occur a larger problem...

you do not neet to exit at Civitavecchia and can just stay to Livorno (I guess it's your next stop) and you'll be there at 8.42 pm the same night. So you can stay there or make a night excursion to Florence to enjoy the time you are not on the ship!

If your ship leaves 7.00 pm - you must be on board at least at 6.30 pm -

BUT as indicated (very surprising) in NCL's itinery: you are tendering in Civitavecchia, i. e. you must be back much more earlier.

Nevertheless: even if you use a cab to get from the station to the berth (if she will berth in the port...) and you do not walk to the port entrance and take the free shuttle... I am sure you cannot made it if you arrive ON TIME at 6.32 pm...

I would relax and have my tooth brush and one set of underwear with me and will not the stress to catch a ship which might have left already...

Relax - stay in the train and go to Livorno directly.

Buy a nice souvenir for the security guys if they ask you to explain the situation...

Regards,

HeinBloed

While I am the kind of person who would be fine just going with the flow and taking the rail over to Livorno, I have 3 other people in my party, including the wife, that might not feel the same way. Since I have been designated (or taken over ;)) the planning I'll probably try and catch one of the earlier regional trains back to Civi.

Thanks again for the help.

Nizz, my confirmation itinerary says we depart at 8:00 p.m. (Naples is 7:00). I figured an extra 1 1/2 hours should be more than enough time even if there is a delay. If it in fact turns out to be 7:00, we will catch an earlier regional train. I booked first class seats, but that "bar car" sure sounds good! ;)

Hein Bloed, after Citivavecchia, our ship heads to Barcelona, so Livorno won't help.

Hein Bloed, after Citivavecchia, our ship heads to Barcelona, so Livorno won't help.

Good Morning,

I did have a travel date and I checked all NORWEGIAN JEWEL itinery...

So there is indeed one itinery going on 7 pm but to Livorno...

Nevertheless.

LSUNizz missed the chance to tell us later how it WOULD HAVE missed the ship and what kind of interviews they are doing later when you reenter...

She missed the wonderful chance to enjoy the Tuscany landscape by train as the ship cannot do it... (The stupid thing is: you can only enjoy coast... with a ship...).

... and I miss now the chance to know what would happened in such a case...

Lost of a "true" win-win-situation... Grrr....

Next time: if you plan to stay in the bar car only: buy a 2nd class ticket. The bar is open for all.

No more jokes: to both of you: HAVE A GREAT TIME IN ROME and on your ship.

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. It was fun in the first class car of this train. We took it as well:

We met in the 1st class car a Member of Parliament / Senator of the Italian Parliament. As my father was a former politian as well it was very nice to see them discussing...

Duff,

I think you are actually on the Jewel the week before me. We depart on June 24. Sounds like you guys have a slightly different itin as we leave Civi at 7:00 and then head on up to Livorno. Keep the ship clean for us.

And yes Hein, I am sure that missing the ship would make for much better stories after the fact. I'm just not sure dealing with the drama from my fellow cruisers is worth the trouble! I can always come back here after the trip and claim we missed the ship just for fun!

Either way, we'll get to hit the coast on the ship and head up to the Tuscan region the next day. I can't wait. Only 3 weeks of work left before we leave!!

Thank you Hein Bloed. Please be happy to know that you will have helped make our trip to Rome much easier and more enjoyable (I have printed many of your photographs to use as a guide). I am sure many others feel the same way.

As for the bar car, well I don't mind spending a few extra dollars (er, I mean Euros) for the first class, it doesn't concern me so why not? My wife may want to relax after a long day. :D

Yes Nizz, we are the week earlier. In my first post I mentioned being in Rome on 6/22, so that's what I thought you meant. We do the Istanbul to Barcelona. Sorry we won't be able to have a drink together. :p

Sounds like you guys have a slightly different itin as we leave Civi at 7:00 and then head on up to Livorno. Keep the ship clean for us.

Check for the worst case your travel document.

May be it's a mistype on NCL's website:

Is a little "anchor" shown on Civitavecchia? I. e. tendering. Plan an additional earlier train to get back because you must expect queues when tendering back. (For Villefranche is correct - but to find one for Rome was very surprising...)

8 minutes walking from station to port entry

average 8 minute to wait for the departure of shuttle bus to berth

average 8 minute to get with the shuttle to berth

Just for your mind.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived