Problems booking train from Roma to Civi

As for the bar car, well I don't mind spending a few extra dollars (er, I mean Euros) for the first class, it doesn't concern me so why not? My wife may want to relax after a long day. :D

The difference in Italy between 1st and 2nd class from Rome to Civitavecchia is less than an Espresso... And it was so comfortable to have more leg room as your feet is "smoking" from all day's walk.

Just a tipp for all others: if you already have planned not to sit anyway in your compartment and to stay all the time in the bar car and have your cocktail before you are arriving in Civitavecchia: no need to book 1st class. Save the money for a second cocktail on the train...

Really hope you guys do not have a rainy day like we had...

And do not forget the "Mouth of Truth"... Have some tape with you - for the worst case...

Rome is so great!!! Enjoy it!!! Wish could be with you... and wish could come with you to the Tuscany!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Here is a update. I just did this last week so the information is pretty well up to date. My wife and took the train from Roma Termi to Civtavecchia on May 19th. I went to the train station the day before and found the IC leaves from Platform 18 so I purchased a first class ticket, 26 Euros for the two of us. As it turned out that train was 3 hours late and the ticket counter said I could go over to Platform 28 validate my first class ticket ant take the commuter train. We did this and the trip was no problem. We had 8 stops instead of the one stop. The train was pratically empty so we had plenty of space to put our luggage. We were concerned we might miss the correct stop but that was no big deal. The last stop is "Civtavecchia" on the commuter train. If I had just purchase a 2nd class the cost would have been 18 euros for the two of us.

Please take note: Taxis to Civtavecchia were running 153 Euros from the Airport. Thats nothing...Post cruise taxis were quoting 300 Euros from Civtavecchia to the Air Port. I would strongly suggest using the local transportation which is cheap. Tim

Good Morning,

it's always no problem to use a high-grade-train ticket (more expensive = 1st class and long-distance) in a low-grade-train ticket (Regional train).

May 19 was a Saturday. So no business traffic!!! Is not representative for plannings for other Weekdays during the rush-hour!!!

But do not doing it v.v. without asking the conductor or the ticket booth first. Could occur some penalty if the conductor is not nice and has no understanding for tourists.

Normally Saturday is no big travel as there is no office open and no businessmen need to get home after one day in Rome... but I remember when I compiled the new schedule that one IC replaces a lot of Regional trains somewhen in the afternoons. But do not expect too many people in the 1st class. That's more for the weekdays important if you like travel on the peak-time.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I understand your effort to get that first class ticket on the IC since that was my concern. My wife who does not understand European transportation was my concern. This is how I would purchase your tickets. If you are close to the train station go to the ticket counter. The counter you will want should be the regional counter marked in blue. Remember the yellow counter is for high speed tickets for country to country. Here is something else I did to make commnications easier. I printed out the information I needed in English and did a conversion on a translation site which converted my information into Italian. I presented the information to the clerk and he completely understood what I wanted. I really thought I had everying down untill we checked the schedulet that morning that showed our IC 516 with something in RED showing 3:10. An american couple trying to get to France on the same train told me the train was three hours late. Probably a train stike earlier in Naples that day. Because I had checked out the layout of the train station one day earlier I knew what to do and where to go. Remember this...the IC to Civitavecchia leaves on Platform 18. The local train to Civitavecchia leaves on Platform 28. The Leanardo Express from the Airport Arrives and leaves from Platform 25. I am sure you can get a train no matter what but do remember that the local trains run every hour. The IC runs every 3 hours. Once you know where the tickets are purchased and the layout of the platforms you should have no problems. Do note that coming back to Rome from Civitavecchia can be alittle more complex especially if you are going to the Airport. This might creat a transfer at another station which means unloading and then reloading luggage. I just think you have to plan ahead. Also Remember to validate those tickets before boarding the local trains. I hope this helps. By the way we had hotel arrangements 6 blocks from the train station. Tim

Archived