Booking cruise while on board

On August 16th my family (wife, 2 kids) and I will be on the Wonder for our first Disney cruise.

I have read several postings from people mentioning that they have booked their next Disney cruise while on board, because they got a nice discount.

If you were one that has booked your next Disney cruise while on board, can you tell me what is the average amount you saved compared to booking it from a TA or Disney on line?

I am just curious if it really pays to book it while on board, are the savings susbtantial?

Thanks for your input.

On August 16th my family (wife, 2 kids) and I will be on the Wonder for our first Disney cruise.

I have read several postings from people mentioning that they have booked their next Disney cruise while on board, because they got a nice discount.

If you were one that has booked your next Disney cruise while on board, can you tell me what is the average amount you saved compared to booking it from a TA or Disney on line?

I am just curious if it really pays to book it while on board, are the savings susbtantial?

Thanks for your input.

We saved 10% and got a $200 OBC per cabin. You can then transfer the booking to a TA. I have heard others do this to get additional OBC.

I have never gotten a discount for any cruise from my TA and I don't do on line TAs. Enjoy your cruise and come back and give us a report!

Mary

Background notes: For our 3 nite cruise last weekend, we were upgraded from a Cat 12 GTY to a Cat 9 room. GTY = Guarantee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cruise Sales Manager quoted some prices for 4-nite and 7-nite cruises. Unfortunately, the 10 percent discount doesn't apply to Cat 12 GTY (only Cat 4 - 11). I'm not sure if that also counts toward the on-board credit. A $200 deposit per person is required for 3 and 4 nite cruises, and a $250 dollar per person deposit for 7 nite cruises.

The quotes were all over the place. For example, booking a 7-nite Cat 11 room was 120 dollars more than a Cat 12 GTY, even with the 10% on April 26. In June, for which there were no 7-nite cruises leaving out of Port Canaveral, Cat 11 rooms were about $120 cheaper than Cat 12 GTYs.

The good news is "If cancellation request is received 75 or more days prior to the vacation commencement date, 100% of the amount of the vacation price paid will be refunded." Also, the cruise date can be changed, as well as the number of nites, and even the room category. Furthermore, the trip can be transferred to a Travel Agent who can work to find a better deal. The bad news is, you commit a nice chunk of money to Disney to collect interest on while you decide what to do.

Always rebook on board, even if you think you're not going to cruise again, you can always cancel later and get your deposit back but if you don't rebook on board and decide later to cruise again there's no getting the 10% discount and OBC (we made the mistake of not rebooking on board our first time feeling certain that was going to be our only DCL cruise...we learned our lesson;) ).

We've rebooked on-board 4x's. You get 10% discount on the cruise price. Extras like transfers and travel insurance are not dicounted. Then the on-board credit is nice, and that fluctuates with the length of the cruise, I believe. I've checked hundreds of advertised cruise specials in regaurds to DCL. Not once did anyone match, the on-board rebooking offer. And once your start comparing make sure it's apples to apples. There are alot of factors in pricing. Transfers, if needed! Travel insurance, or you can arrange your own. Port taxes, and fee's. And then you have to consider an air package, if fly in is necessary. Air will not be discounted. And when you see 60% off, that discount is from the highest weekly rate of the year. Good Luck! Metrowon

• 4 weeks later...

Book on board. I have always traveled using on-line engines and TA's and thought for sure I could get a better quote. Afterall Disney is not that cheap. Nope, the 10% and the OBC is unmatched. You end up getting the insurance and OBC for a family of four with the quote. Due to circumstances I did get to book the on-board price.

I'm not the OP, but I was wondering if there is a time limit for completing a cruise you book onboard? We will be going on a Disney cruise next year with part of our extended family--the siblings that have older kids and teeens will go now, and the rest of the family who have babies and toddlers now will go in several years when their kids are older. We are thinking we might like to go again with them, but don't know when it would be--it could be 5 years or 10. Could a "prebooked" cruise be put off that long?

Archived