NCL Kids clubs

cruisinsly

I have been reading about Carnival and RCI's kids clubs, and they both seem to be great. I have not really found anything about NCL. Has anyone had their toddler on NCL in the kids clubs? And what did you or your children think of it? If we go, our toddler will be 3 1/2 at the time.

Thanks

My ONLY experience was 5 years ago when my oldest was 2 and it was on an OLD OLD NCL Ship called SS Norway (it's waiting to be sunk right now if that's any indication how old it was...lol)

I didn't love our situation on NCL BUT that was because of the old ship. The room was one room, VERY SMALL, very limited activities and my daughter was bored. The children's room was actually where the old dog kennels had been when the ship was used for rich people and their pampered pooches and originally called the SS France or something. And from their room led a small area outside that had been the dog runs. :eek:

It's funny to talk about now...not so funny THEN. lol

I KNOW there have been many happy moms/dads here that did go on NCL and had a fab time.

Our trip on NCL had been my first with kids and I was overanxious. Back then, they had "ship tour" on the list of events for the 2 year old class and I thought back then there was NO WAY my 2 year old was going on a ship tour...lol. So I ran and got her before the tour. I don't think they do that anymore. ;)

Hopefully you will get a better perspective of NCL from someone who has recently done them.

Thanks. I was just over on their web site and read that they have this policy regarding childrens behavior. My son is a typical little boy. Rough and tough and never sits still. They seem like they are really strict w/ children. I dont mind him going into a time out, but I dont want him kicked out of the program either.

My son was on the Norwegian Spirit in 2005 and had a great time. Was it his favorite? No. He loves Disney the best. I like the facility on NCL. There was a dedicated room for the younger kids (he was 4 at the time). The ship was very crowded because it was spring break. The kids had use of a climbing frame and ballpit and the outdoor pool was really cool. Although my son didn't like it because it was saltwater.

My kids (boys ages 6 and 19) have always had a great time on NCL. They are fun, lively ships with many food options and lots to do. You can't get bored on NCL. However, as I have gotten older I like relaxing ships. So NCL is no longer my cruise of choice.

Thanks. I was just over on their web site and read that they have this policy regarding childrens behavior. My son is a typical little boy. Rough and tough and never sits still. They seem like they are really strict w/ children. I dont mind him going into a time out, but I dont want him kicked out of the program either.

Oh no! Did you read my "Three Strikes" post about RCCL. ;) It looks like my daughter and your son would get along great on a cruise. :D

hehehehe No, I didnt read it until now. Yeah, they probably would do go on a cruise together. Funny thing is, he does better with others than me. They never have a problem from him at the nursery at church, so I would hope he would be ok. He is just a very hyper child.

Thanks ladies for your input. I appreciate it.

We were on NCL Dawn 2 years ago with our 2 kids: 2yo DD and 7yo DS at the time. They both LOVED it!!! That's all they talk about now. We're going again in a little over 2 weeks and they are so excited about the Kid Crew. They're 4 and 9 now.

I remember one time 2 years ago. I was sitting at a slot machine right near the main hallway. When, all of a sudden, I heard children singing "A Pirate's Life for Me!" I looked around and lo and behold, there was my DD, face painted like a pirate, carrying a "balloon sword." There were maybe 10 kids and 3 counselors. All the kids were watched like hawks and they all loved it!

We had nothing but positive experiences all week with the Kid Crew. Yours will love it!! :D

We just returned from NCL Star in March. My kids are 3 and 6 years old. The kids club was great for us. The counselors were very nice and were very involved with the kids. My son was taken to the magic show one night and got to be the assistant! My DD took a little longer to get into it. They gave us a pager and never did have to use it.

One night, they kids had a dinner out and I "spied" on them! The counselors were laughing along with the kids and everyone seemed very happy. My kids keep asking when we are going back on a cruise (oct 07-Princess).

For my DH and I it was a godsend, we both work full time and getting a babysitter at home can be a pain. This gave us the chance to have dinner by OURSELVES every night! What a treat.

We did not use the club that much during the day as we were very happy hanging out as a family.

What questions do you have? I would be happy to help.

We were on an 11 day Hawaiian cruise on Norwegian Wind last Oct. My daughter was almost 4 years old at that time. She loved the kids crew club and that was all she talked about for months. There weren't that many kids on the ship since it was in Oct. so they got more attention.

She spent a lot of time at the kid's club and they always kept the kids busy from face painting, pizza parties, shirt paintings and a mini-chocoholic buffet. The counselors were great and very friendly. Every time we picked up my daughter, the kids always gave each counselor goodnight hugs. Even though it was an older and smaller ship and the kid's area a bit smaller, they managed to make the most of it for a long cruise. NCL was also a great option for us because of their anytime dining. We were also traveling with our then 14-month old and they allowed him to play in their kid's area and use their toys as long as we stayed with him. We were very happy with the kid's club and would recommend it based on our experience.

They gave us a pager and never did have to use it.

I saw on their website that if your little one is still in pull ups, they will page you to come change it, is that true?

Also, I know Carnival opens at 7pm, what are NCLs opening hours like?

Thanks to everyone for your input. We greatly appreciate it.

Sorry- you also asked about hours. During port days they were open pretty much all day- though they did charge per hour which got a bit expensive. It was ( I think) 5 or 6 dollars per hour. On sea days they would open in the morning (we never made it there that early, I think it was 8 or 9 am till 12, then they would close from 12-2, then re-open from 2-4, then close from 4-7 and open at 7. We did not mind the hours as our daughter still naps and it worked for our schedule.

We were on NCL Spirit in 2005 and the pool is incredible. The kids program is great and they have the largest videoarcade I've seen on a ship. We all had a great time- we always do.

There is an English pub on the floor near the front desk- go there for a drink or two. It was underused and they serve lunch to you there. It was great for kids and the crew really enjoyed my little boy (age 4 at the time). They entertained him while I ate and were really happy to see a kid. Guess not many ever go there.

Having sailed the Dawn, I checked with NCL if my memory served correctly regarding the hours:

Kid Crew

Port days: 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Sea days: 9:00 a.m.-12:00 noon; 2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.

Group Babysitting ($5 per hour, per child; $3 per hour each additional child in the same family):

Port days: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; 7:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Sea days: 10:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.

Kid Crew has organized activities, group babysitting was mostly free play and movies.

Happy Sailing!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the pride of america last thanksgiving. my 6yr old son didn't want to go to the kids club until he met a little girl at the pool one day who said she went there every night after dinner. He loved it!

The kids club staff was great- they knew all the kids by name by the 2nd visit, they had a blast. Not only that, but the time "alone" with other kids where they can be loud and obnoxious was a great release- you can't be well-behaved 24-7 when you're only 6!

They had a lot of different activities, theme nights, etc. HIGHLY recommend them!

Archived