Infant Vacation Question

SuperTrooper00

My wife and I are planning on leaving our 18 month year old with his grandparents on our vacation. However, we are having a hard time deciding how long is an appropriate amount of time. We are considering doing 10 days. I realize this is highly subjective, but would love your thoughts on this. Thanks.

My wife and I are planning on leaving our 18 month year old with his grandparents on our vacation. However, we are having a hard time deciding how long is an appropriate amount of time. We are considering doing 10 days. I realize this is highly subjective, but would love your thoughts on this. Thanks.

As long as it feels right to you, I would not worry about anyone else's opinion. He is your child, you know him best.

For us, we are planning on leaving DS with my mom next year while we go on a 7 night RCCL Voyager cruise. We dont have an issue with it.

I remember several times my parents left us 3 kids with grandparents and/or friends so they could go on vacations alone. Of course we missed our parents, but we are none the worse for it.

Whatever your decision, have a great time!

We left DS (then 3.4) and DD (then almost 2) with family for a 7-day cruise for our 10th anniversary a few years ago. While we enjoyed the couple time, we were both ready to see the little ones again by the end of the week. Personally, I don't think I would have enjoyed an additional 3 days beyond that, but that's just me--no reflection on you :) . If it's your first time away for an extended period of time, I would suggest planning a shorter stay (7-8 days?) to see how it goes both for yourselves and the toddler. Better that than doing like an old bosses' wife did when she accompanied her DH to Scotland for a conference as their first post-baby vacation and returned home after 5 days without him because she couldn't bear being away for any longer. LOL

Either way, enjoy your couple time--whatever you choose!!!

Only you and the grandparents can decide that. I can't leave my kids for one day...never have, never want to. ;) I wouldn't relax for one minute.

But everyone is different. Will the child have the same routine at the grandparent's house as at home? Have you ever left the child for a weekend and see what happens?

Maybe a test run before you book a 10 dayer?

Have you ever left him with Grandparents for a few days before? I think that would be your best comparison... if so, how did he handle it? How did you handle it? I think if your child acts fine without you and your comfortable with leaving for that long, then go for it :) Man, i wish we could get a small getaway without our 11 month old! lol

Ask the grandparents first. Our first trip away was 3 nights--fine. Our second was 8 nights. Fine until the plane ride home when I started missing him (hey we had a great time!) ;) Third time was supposed to be 7 nights but ended up being 11 due to a hurricane and that was too long. You obviously need to do what you're comfortable with, but if you haven't left him before for an extended period, I wouldn't start with 10 days.

Hello!!!

We left our son with our parents - they split the week between the two sets of Grandparents -- Our son was 14 months at the time. I missed him soooo much, but I know my husband was just trying to give a tired Mommy a break. But he was having a problem missing the baby too!

My phone bill was insane in our cabin-- that I would not recommend- buy phone cards and use them in port- or your cell is even cheaper then the ship --providing you get service. I could only get service in certain ports.

We had a great cruise, But that was the first and last time we left him behind for an extended period of time. We now have our son who is 7 and our daughter is 14 months - it's a matter of personal preference but we take them with us on a huge vaction for 10 days, every year and then we take one weekend just for ourselves, you need to get a break. -- that I can handle. You guys may want to take a test run if you haven't already. And as my Mother In Law says/ laughs "You know, I raised 3 boys" -- She's all in good humor with that but she knows that I am attached to my rays of sunshine too!! -- Good Luck and listen to yourself!

There were two times I left my son, Marc, at home (first time with my husband and sister). He was 19 months old and my older son (age 14) went to Italy for 10 days and did the trains, historic sites, dined in nice restaurants. It was fantastic. I did rack up a $ 500 long distance phone bill. But I didn't regret it for a minute. My sister made a home movie of Marc while I was away- so I could see that he was fine and happy.

Last January, I left Marc (now 6) with my older son (now 19). Marc missed me terribly and asked me to NEVER do that again. I was gone for 11 days.

I think you should go for the 10 days. A 19 month old will adapt. Your parents will get into a groove and everything will be fine.

If worse came to worse, you'd fly back but that could happen anytime in life. I have never had to fly home from a trip for any reason (and I travel twice a year).

Bon Voyage!

P.S: What I did to help my sister when she babysat for 10 days was hire another sitter to come over every afternoon at 3PM to be her helper. That way my sister could take a shower, organize dinner or just have someone to hang out with until my husband came home at 6PM. She really appreciated it. My sister really knows what it is like to be a full time mother now (she is 38, single and kidless). She loved babysitting for me but really appreciates the work involved.

Archived