Sunset Veranda Aft Cabin on Journey

RosiePosie1013

My husband & I have booked a SV aft cabin on deck 6 in August. Am curious as to whether there is much engine/propeller noise. We were last on RCCL Explorer in an aft cabin and the noise from the propellers was quite loud, but it was a much larger ship.

We love aft cabins!

I wish I had grabbed one for our sailing when they were available - now they only have the ones in the front which I believe are too windy to enjoy.

I think you'll love yours and I believe deck 6 has the deepest balcony.

I guess it could depend upon the ship, but am not sure how. We were on another of the former R-ships, currently the Tahitian Princess, in 6090, an aft balcony, twice. No noise. No vibrations. We loved the cabin so much that we have booked the same cabin on the Royal Princess (another one of them) in July and also on the Azamara Journey in October.

charlotte

Rosie Posie –

So it looks like you switched from a bow to a stern cabin. Good for you.

I am with Trash Queen: You’ll like, nay, love that cabin and balcony. You have seen my pix at www.juergen.smugmug.com , no? I seem to remember a slight (enjoyable) vibration when lying in bed, which I miss at home, but no noise. Just the prop wash. We liken it to living close to a waterfall. Close the balcony door, and the noise is gone.

mringenoldus: Our next three cruises will all be in #6093.

From now on let’s keep quiet about our little secret, hm?

Rosie Posie –

So it looks like you switched from a bow to a stern cabin. Good for you.

I am with Trash Queen: You’ll like, nay, love that cabin and balcony. You have seen my pix at www.juergen.smugmug.com , no? I seem to remember a slight (enjoyable) vibration when lying in bed, which I miss at home, but no noise. Just the prop wash. We liken it to living close to a waterfall. Close the balcony door, and the noise is gone.

mringenoldus: Our next three cruises will all be in #6093.

From now on let’s keep quiet about our little secret, hm?

Would you happen to know how this cabin is? On the diagram of the decks it looks like something is obstructing the balconies on the aft deck 8 on the two cabins? I tried to get 6090 or 6093 both were taken. Then I tried the 7th level, aft, those balconies seem to be slightly larger than the 8th level but not as large as the 6th level. Do you know if cabin 8090 is a good selection, as far as noise level etc.? Booked for the Nov.29th Brazil cruise.Always been my husband's dream to go to Brazil.

I don't know what you are viewing as obstructive. The circle represents that the deck is covered. The line represents the wall between the 2 cabins/balconies. So I'm confused as to what you think is obstructive. These are great cabins - same size as 1/2a balcony categories but slightly larger balcony and great aft view. Happy Sailing!

Our all-time favorite cabin was an aft cabin on Celebrity Constellation, so we are looking forward to our aft cabin, 6090. Glad to hear there's not much noise, plus it is truly at the end of the ship with a "water view." This cruise on the Journey is to make up for our disappointing aft cabin on RCCL Explorer this past March. There was 50 ft of deck beyond our cabin, so we totally missed out on the "water view," plus it was extremely noisy from the propellers. I even bought earplugs so I could sleep at night!

Hula girl –

The cabins should be identical on each deck. Owing to the slanted shape of the rear, the balconies do get deeper as you go down from deck 8 to deck 6. Even with the ‘normal’ size balcony on deck 8, I would still prefer it to a side balcony. The disadvantage on all six balconies is that you cannot see the water when lying in bed because of the solid bottom portion of the frame around the balcony. Looking from the outside you see five holes on each deck. The outer two are for one suite each. The two center cabins xx90 and xx93 share one of those cutouts, with a permanent divider between them. Even though you are closer to Tapas on the Terrace, you have absolute visual privacy from above. We used the Terrace quite often for lunch and dinner (sushi) and I don’t remember any undue noise. In pic Balconies-1 DW is just above the R of Regatta, in Balcony-3 I took a picture of her (on deck 6) from the Terrace on deck 9.

Balconies-1.jpg.6f3f0200fa8b6a2c34883d4d7877bc16.jpg

Balcony-3.jpg.26efd1b9930f79511764d56a4ca8ff85.jpg

I don't know what you are viewing as obstructive. The circle represents that the deck is covered. The line represents the wall between the 2 cabins/balconies. So I'm confused as to what you think is obstructive. These are great cabins - same size as 1/2a balcony categories but slightly larger balcony and great aft view. Happy Sailing!

Thank you...my TA called and got me 6090! It opened up so I got lucky, thanks for the feedback

Hula girl –

The cabins should be identical on each deck. Owing to the slanted shape of the rear, the balconies do get deeper as you go down from deck 8 to deck 6. Even with the ‘normal’ size balcony on deck 8, I would still prefer it to a side balcony. The disadvantage on all six balconies is that you cannot see the water when lying in bed because of the solid bottom portion of the frame around the balcony. Looking from the outside you see five holes on each deck. The outer two are for one suite each. The two center cabins xx90 and xx93 share one of those cutouts, with a permanent divider between them. Even though you are closer to Tapas on the Terrace, you have absolute visual privacy from above. We used the Terrace quite often for lunch and dinner (sushi) and I don’t remember any undue noise. In pic Balconies-1 DW is just above the R of Regatta, in Balcony-3 I took a picture of her (on deck 6) from the Terrace on deck 9.

Thank you for the response, I just got emailed from my TA, 6090 opened up so I got lucky and have that cabin! Is it in all these aft cabins that you have no water view from your bed?

Yes, hula girl. Unlike side-looking balconies that have either metal railings or even glass panels, these balconies have a solid steel at the bottom with a single rail on top.

Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy.

Hi!

It seems like many of us have concerns about these "metal panels"/lack of view from aft cabins.

If you can take one more question....Can a short person (5'2") actually see much from these cabins while sitting on the deck or are you straining your neck to see over the rail? I've always had a side balcony cabin with full view of the ocean and I heard so many good things about aft cabins that I thought I'd try one.

I've booked 8090 for a future sailing on Azamara and now I'm wondering if I've made a mistake. I thought it would be great seeing both sides while going through the Panama Canal.

Thanks in advance for your help!

murphysmum

murphysmom –

DW used to be 5’2” (now just about 5’) and has had no problem looking over the solid wall. In this picture she is doing some handy work and looking up at the scenery once in a while. She has never complained about not being able to see.

For more pix you can go to www.juergen.smugmug.com, look for Regatta.

955672824_Seatheight-1s.jpg.1216c635395d7e0b77533e3775a6bf5c.jpg

Thank you so much for the very helpful information. You've convinced me to keep my already assigned aft cabin.

It looks like we like much the same kind of cruising?..smaller ships and a bit casual. I've just signed up for Paul Gauguin for next year as it appears it may be taken off of the Regent line (per notes on these boards).

I used to enjoy the R. Diamond when it was in service.

Enjoy the trips you have coming up!

murphysmum

Thanks for sharing the pictures - I had wondered how the Regatta and Journey compared. Frankly, the pool furniture (even with the teak lounges on order) and the balcony furniture appear nicer on Journey. Given the comments I had read I had expected Regatta to be much more elegant. Public areas look about the same (stairwells, etc). Good to see the similarities.

Thank you so much for the very helpful information. You've convinced me to keep my already assigned aft cabin.

It looks like we like much the same kind of cruising?..smaller ships and a bit casual. I've just signed up for Paul Gauguin for next year as it appears it may be taken off of the Regent line (per notes on these boards).

I used to enjoy the R. Diamond when it was in service.

Enjoy the trips you have coming up!

murphysmum

I will apologize in advance because this is entirely off subject, but your post reminded me of the Radisson Diamond and what an exquisite ship she was. Azamara executives would do well to use the Diamond and her crew as examples of how to do it right. Those were the days!

Yes, the R. Diamond was my/our idea of a perfect little ship. Toward the "end", she had been allowed to deteriorate so much that it was really a shame. I never understood why they sold her off (for gambling?) instead of restoring her to her former state of perfection.

Someone with more knowledge of ships than I have must know why no one has replicated that ship. I share your wonderful memories!

Happy future sailing...

murphysmum;)

Archived