pvp or travel agent?

jiggywatson

Prices can vary so I would check with both before making a decision. A TA might have group space on your particular cruise and can give you a group rate. Groups can also provide you with amenities so if they tell you it is a group rate be sure to ask if there are any.

Personally I would prefer a local in town TA over an internet based one just because you can see them face to face if necessary but everyone has their preferences.

I have booked both ways and gotten good service from both. I think the really good thing about booking directly with Carnival is that anyone there can help you with your booking if you have a question. You normally don't have to wait for a call back from someone. I have booked 2 with a Carnival rep (not PVP) and have been very happy.

Alot of people here on the board love their PVP. We use a cruise TA. If you call a PVP ask them what is the policy if the price drops before and after final payment. One PVP told me before final payment that we could get a price reduction, go for an upgrade, or OBC. After final paymnet, OBC. They are not going to call you and let you know when that price has dropped. You need to do the footwork. The TA we used for our first Carnival cruise last September saw a drop in price. We went from a BL GYT to an extended aft balcony. After final payment, the price dropped again and she got us an OBC of $500.00. She worked for us and we will always book with her. If you contact a TA, ask them the same qiestions. Also ask them if you cancell your booking with them, if they charge a cancellation fee. Read all the fine print, ask questions. A good PVP and TA will gladly answer your questions. :)

PVP's and Ta's alike will call you with a price drop. The Key is to finding a good one. I have a PVP that will call me when the new promotion comes out, I'm also SICK about my cruise and check it myself.

She never minds when I call her.

I've only done internet TA, never the local. I imagine that is a good experience also. But the key is getting a good one and one that you feel meshes with you and your family.

PVP's extensions start with an 8, other service reps do not, but can help you, and like previously posted you'll never be on a wait

If you like to research on CC than chances are you already know more about cruising than the average TA. The problem I had with booking with Carnival through my TA is that then if you have a question/issue and your can't reach your TA (mine happened to be on vacation one week), then you can't call or email Carnival. They will not talk to you.

I had some issues when I booked a group cruise and I had to keep using my TA as my voice with Carnival because Carnival refused to talk to me directly. Well I have learned that I don't need anyone to talk for me. ;)

I would book my next with Carnival directly. With RCCL, I still use a TA...but I tell her exactly what I want to book.

As a part time TA I may be a bit prejudiced but based on my previous experiences in using a TA, internet TA, PVP and calling reservations prior to becoming one , I think it depends on finding the right PVP or TA for you.

I had several PVP over the years. Some were very good but I never had one that would call and offer to get me OBC or upgrades when the prices dropped. They did call with special offers. They were knowledgable and helpful. I did have problems getting in touch with them sometimes. I work an erratic schedule and it didn't always mesh with the PVP's scheduled hours...lots of phone tag. I don't know how large a client base each PVP has as far as time for personalized service.

I had some really nice reservationists at Carnival, one in particular... but I quit calling reservations after the 3rd time they quoted me a price higher than the price on the carnival website.

Big Online TA - slightly lower price, very attentive until I made final payment... nothing else other than delivery of documents, more of an order taker.

TA - lived my local area, knew me and family well, gave me personal phone number for after hours calls, was not tied to one line and sometimes found us some great cruises on lines we weren't so familiar with (Ever done a Windjammer?) Kept track of prices to request upgrades and OBC (Got me a Cat 12 for a OV guarantee once), never charged fee other than commission she got from company, small client base - lots of personal service, hated when she retired so I just became one myself

IMO it just depends on the TA or PVP

I like a Carnival PVP. If you book with Carnival you can do more with there web page under modify booking. I use to use a T/A but now for a cruise I go Carnival for air I call the airline. whoever you pick I would try to stick with them and build a good relationship. It helps with specials and upgrades.

I booked my cruise with a TA, one that is in my area. Even though I did all my own research and knew what I wanted, I like the idea of going in and talking to someone face to face. Although if you use a TA and he/she isn't available for something and you call Carnival, they won't help you.

I would never book on line because I like a personal touch.

I always book w/a Carnival PVP...even though my DIL owns a local travel agency. She can't get me the same deals and perks my PVP can....and she understands why I do this.

There are good and not-so-good PVPs as well as travel agents. Sometimes, you have to dig around in the barrel to find a good apple.

About Carnival 'refusing' to talk w/you once you've booked through a TA or online - They aren't being mean (as it sounds)...it's that they aren't allowed to "intefere" in any outside booking. You've chosen an outside agent; therefore, that person should be doing the work for you, not Carnival.:)

I am thinking about booking my very first cruise on Carnival, should I go with a travel agent or with a pvp? What are the pros and cons of both? Or, am I better off just booking it myself via internet?

I found a local TA through the internet. On our booking this summer, she got us $75 off of Carnival's rate. I assume she shaved her commission, or maybe her agency has a block of rooms. But I was happy.

Today she called me up and told me that due to a price drop (which I haven't seen on my thrice daily checks of Carnival's website) that she just got us a $90 OBC. So I'm $165 ahead of the game.

This is the first time I've used a TA and I'm liking it.

I booked our last cruise through an online TA but the one before through a local TA. I felt like the local TA just took my order too because I knew what I wanted. It depends on how much you want to research yourself and how much you need them. I usually have it all figured out before I talk to the TA. Also our online TA gave us shipboard credit when the booking was issued higher than they quoted.

The visitors on this site gives so much great information, that you can be VERY informed!:)

Good luck with your decision! Make sure you and the TA are always on the same page!

:rolleyes: I've taken 4 cruises and just booked my 5th today (2 Celebrity, 1 Princess, 1 Carnival down, 1 to go).

The first four cruises I used online travel agencies because the prices were excellent (and so were the onboard credits)!

However, today I found a terrific Carnival repr. who really took her time, searched everywhere for the best discount, and even went to her supervisor twice. She gave me advise on checking back for a lower fare. I intend to write a letter to Carnival telling them what a great employee they have. I was able to book a 9a wrap aft balcony for $950 per person using a military discount for a seven-day cruise. I'm very happy with that!

I am one of those who LOVE to check daily for the lowest prices, so I know I'll most likely get a lower fare by the time I sail on 10/4/08!!

I like the fact that I can call Carnival and not wait for an online TA to call back. I missed out on a great deal last year because the TA I had used was on a cruise when the deal was on. I know that not all TA's work alone, but I would really be hesitant to do that again! My experience with the "large" gnome-like agencies was frustrating too. Once they had my money, service was nil.

I'm hoping I made the right choice, however, I know (from reading CC) that I can also transfer my booking from Carnival to a travel agent if I see an outstanding deal.

Karen

How is a Travel Agency making "Money off of you" when they are paid by the cruiseline NOT the client (in most cases) !

because the more you spend the more they make, so they are loooking to get you to spend more, not looking for what is in your best interest!:rolleyes:

About Carnival 'refusing' to talk w/you once you've booked through a TA or online - They aren't being mean (as it sounds)...it's that they aren't allowed to "intefere" in any outside booking. You've chosen an outside agent; therefore, that person should be doing the work for you, not Carnival.:)

"Aren't allowed"!?!

Who do you think makes the rules?--Carnival!

Carnival doesn't want to be bothered with people who book through anyone else. If you booked through anyone else, you probably got a beter deal than Carnival direct, if not in price, then in some other perks (OBC, upgrade, better personal service, or even some hat or bag). And Carnival makes less on any booking made through any 3rd party. So, they only deal with the questions and/or problems of people who book through them. They beleive that if they make it difficult enough in having to go back and forth through an agent, maybe you'll book direct with them for your next trip.

That having been said, I still want to answer this thread's original question.

If you haven't cruised before, use a good TA who can steer you to a line, ship or destination that is best for you. But they need to be an experienced cruise TA.

If you already know your way around, or have the time and skill to do the internet research, you'll probably get a better price on line. But after checking, you find that the Carnival PVP gives you the same deal as you can get online, then book direct with them. You'll get better and faster service if you need to make a change.

I try to use a PVP if at all possible. The main reason is if I have any specific questions I can go straight through Carnival even if my PVP is not available at that time.

In March I used someone through the Seamiles Mastercard, I assumed they were all in the same, NOT so. If I called to ask a question Carnival told me I would have to check with my travel agent, I told them I used Seamiles and they said check with them. This was my response each time I called. This was frustrating to me since I had been used to dealing directly with Carnival. Finding the good PVP is not so simple the ones I get seem to get promoted , at least the good ones.

because the more you spend the more they make, so they are loooking to get you to spend more, not looking for what is in your best interest!:rolleyes:

You are just dead set against working with a TA as I see it, but thats ok too. But your statement is categorizing all TA's and is really incorrect.....If a client says I want an oceanview stateroom....balcony, or even an inside stateroom and have specific category they want, and thats the price you quote for them, How is that spenidng more of their money. The key word is it's THE CLIENTS MONEY and they ultimately decide on what they are willing to pay regardless of the category stateroom, which would be the same if they called the cruiseline direct. Sure, the cruiseline likes you to book direct, simply because they do not have to pay any commission to a TA, but they also rely on TA's who sell the vast majority of their staterooms and are thankful.

I bet you hate car salesmen, insurance brokers and many others who perhaps work on commission and trying to make a sale, and probably will do anything possible to bypass them if at all possible, and thats ok too, but I just dont understand your logic on TA's making money off of you !

pvp's are the ONLY way to go! Travel agents make money off of you... thats my opinion.

Isn't that the whole idea? They provide a service that you (via commission from the cruiseline) pay for. If you book through a PVP, the PVP makes money.

What do you think, Carnival is a non-profit? Tell that one to the stock holders!

"Aren't allowed"!?!

Who do you think makes the rules?--Carnival!

May I ask why you are angrily attacking what I said?

Yes, I stand by my reply. The PVPs are 'not allowed' by Carnival (their employer) to interfere in outside bookings. Period. I don't make the rules. Chill.:rolleyes:

Archived