New to cruising

Hello all!! Can you help me I have never cruised before, and thought about Carnival or RCCL. I am 32, and will be cruising with my son (6) and husband (36). My husband and I are still young at heart and love to party when we get a chance (use to the NYC night life). Which line do you suggest and which ship on that line. Carnival seem like fun, but would we have a blast and which ship should be our first. Thank you in advance for your help

Honestly, CCL and RCI are very similar to me. Both have great kids programs and I've never seen a dull nightlife on either line. Decide where you would like to cruise to, check out the lines that go there, and read the reviews of each ship. And welcome to CC:D

thanks but that was no help. i am exactly where i started:confused:

Well.....it's hard to make a recommendation when you did not tell us where you wanted to cruise, your budget, and what ports you would like to cruise from.:)

Well.....it's hard to make a recommendation when you did not tell us where you wanted to cruise, your budget, and what ports you would like to cruise from.:)

Ports are not as important because I am new to cruising. But DH did say he did not want Haiti, budget pretty low, but negotable. I do know I would like St. Thomas, but does not have to stick. Just lost grandmother and uncle a week apart, and just want to relax and see life and smile again:mad: :( . Sorry, so I just want to relax with my family smile, laugh, dance, and live again. This cruise will be like I was born again.

It sounds like you are able to go soon so I would start checking out lines and prices because you can get some great deals if you can book last minute. I would go to one of the major travel sites and look at cruises to St. Thomas and Haiti and see if they have any specials. If you see something that looks interesting, check the reviews here of the ship. Just remember that summer prices higher than cruising in the fall.

I went on my first cruise two months after I lost my father and it was very theraputic:)

Not sure what month you want to go, but being from NY, I'm guessing you are more than accustomed to bright lights big city. Freedom is the biggest ship, but it's in Europe now, so the next biggest is Liberty, it goes to St. Thomas and other E.Caribbean ports this summer. Go to the Carnival website and click on find a cruise put in what dates and how long you would like to sail, and it'll show you what goes where, deck plans will show you how big the ships are. Hope this helps:)

i agree with bubbles......Liberty would be good for Carnival

I checked Carnival's website & the only two out of New York I saw were Miracle & Victory. I've read good things about Miracle.

I looked at Royal & didn't see anything specifically out of New York. There was Explorer of the Seas out of New Jersey.

Check out Carnival Miracle, leaves from cruise terminal at 38th and 12th. Also Royal's Explorer of the Seas goes out of Bayonne. You live in NYC so there is no airfare, that translates to more cruise time. Miracle does 8 days to Puerto Rico, St Thomas, and Tortola BVI. I believe the Explorer does southern Carribean not sure of all the stops. Both ships are very good choices and give you more bang for your buck!

I think the food on Carnival is better than the food on RCI. We were bored during our cruise and it often felt crowded. However, I must admit we've only been on one RCI cruise (it was our longest cruise to date - 10 days)...to 13 different Carnival ships/cruises. The RCI cruise was in the middle of the CCL cruises...and when we went back to Carnival it felt like we were home again.

If you want to feel the atmosphere of lots of people then travel on the Conquest Class ships (Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty, Freedom). Our favorite ship is the Spirit Class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, & Miracle). The Miracle, Liberty, Freedom and maybe the Valor & Legend (none of which I've been on) would probably offer the most up to date stuff since they are the newest ships in the fleet.

Carnival Victory was one of my favorites. Though smaller than the mega ships - if price leads towards that ship...go for it.

You would probably benefit from calling Carnival and talking with a Personal Vacation Planner. She/he would be able to tell you all the cruises that included St. Thomas as there are several leaving from Florida, too. (It's generally considered an Eastern Caribbean Itinerary.) Plus their current prices.

I wouldn't want to go to Haiti either....was there in 71 on land trip and don't care to ever go back. (My personal opinion...no offense intended.)

Perhaps someone on the Royal Caribbean board will give you an idea about their ships. Presently we aren't interested in going back on RC...but our cruise was not "so bad" that we refuse to even consider RC again...we may try her in the future or we may not.

I hope this helps you some.

Either cruiseline is going to offer you a great cruise! You can often get some great rates on the Carnival Valor out of Miami. Check out the eastern caribbean route that includes St. Thomas. I've found that RCCL typically costs a little more - not because they are better - I think they just don't do the same kinds of marketing.

If you were hoping that someone would tell you which particular ship or cruise line to take, you probably won't get much help. We cruisers all have our favorite ships, cruise lines, and itineraries, and they are as varied as the cruisers who go on them. ;)

My DH and I, as well as the friends we have cruised with the past two years, prefer the nightlife on Carnival. There was more to choose from and there were opportunities (if you want them) for a more raucous experience.

I was really disappointed with the nightlife and entertainment on my RCI cruise this year. Perhpas all RCI cruises are not like that. But the schedule and choices did not equal my Carnival experiences.

We selected our next cruise based on this fact (plus the ports).

If I were you, I'd pick one of the larger Carnival ships -- I especially loved my Valor cruise (great ports, great piano bar, etc). Depends where you want to go....

Happy cruising!

Archived