Just did dogsledding,zip line, atv tours...

HALNEWBY

Hal -

We're doing the helicopter/dog sledding with Coastal and I'd love to hear a bit about your experience - how long a flight to the glacier, how long with the dogs, "bumpiness" of the flight, place to leave your gear during your excursion at the flight ops center, etc.?

I'm sure others would like to hear a short description of your other excursions :)

Thanks,

Sam

I think my greatest confusion in trying to plan any excursion is the timing and location... because there are weight requirements to the planes, helicopter rides or ziplines, my husband will not be able to do them with me. He is 6 ft 5 and has been 250 since he was 18! He would still want me to be able to have the experience... I assume that the ziplines start in one location and end quite far away... I don't know if it is possible for just me to go (and where would he be or be able to meet me at the end?) Is it doable for just one of us to participate and figure out how to meet up again? I'm afraid he'll never find me! There seems to be ziplines in different ports ... is there a "best one"??

I think my greatest confusion in trying to plan any excursion is the timing and location... because there are weight requirements to the planes, helicopter rides or ziplines, my husband will not be able to do them with me. He is 6 ft 5 and hasn't been 250 since he was 18! He would still want me to be able to have the experience... I assume that the ziplines start in one location and end quite far away... I don't know if it is possible for just me to go (and where would he be or be able to meet me at the end?) Is it doable for just one of us to participate and figure out how to meet up again? I'm afraid he'll never find me! There seems to be ziplines in different ports ... is there a "best one"??

Ok I will try to answer all of your questions with assorted pics to illustrate..

Juneau Helicopter first

Ketchikan zip line second two

Atv Sitka last two

th_22022_DSC01657_122_818lo.JPGth_22030_DSC01878_122_682lo.JPGth_22039_DSC01882_122_393lo.JPG

th_22043_DSC01814_122_691lo.JPGth_22066_DSC01849_122_783lo.JPG

Helicopter ride is a must do, although expensive it is worth every penny. It wasn't a bumpy ride, they have an area to store your stuff and I don't know the breakdown of time on helicopter and dogsledding. You will be so engulfed with beauty your watch will be the last thing on your mind. I did extensive research and picked Coastal and wasn't dissapointed.

No decent pictures of my Orca tour...when you go you will see how hard it is to get a decent picture...but I got to see 6 orcas and many humpbacks. the boat was awesome, brand new and a funky purple color. We were about 20 people on the boat, never felt cramped unforgettable experience..

The information, the ride, the professionalism was impecable...great fun

Ketchikan Zipline..

Perfect tour smooth running...never felt unsafe....good staff I'd say a must do if never had done before..takes up most of the day but still had time for some shopping...

***on the weight issue...I am 6"2 and 209 pounds...didn't have a problem...if you are 250 or over I believe they will just charge more...so you can still do it with your hubby

ATV Sitka

Last minute tour...worth every penny...got to see bears, 5 of them right in front of me and upclose bald eagle..picture above shows beach and volcano...

I'd say if you can do all these tours if you are interested you won't be dissapointed...If you can't book any of these tours to do at these port stops, book any tour...most of the port stops are basically the same...take advantage of the things that these port stops have to offer...

any other questions I will be wiiling to answer

We're signed up for the ATV excursion in Sitka and would love hear about your experience.

My spouse and I took the ATV excursion in sitka and we had a blast. First the meet you at the dock after you are tendered in. They pick you up in a 14 passenger van. This day it was us and one other couple. They shuttle you to a marina where you are loaded into a boat that has a drop down front. Like the amphibious assault ships used by the navy but much smaller. You taken out to the island Mount Edgecombe sits on. They say the volcano's been inactive for 10,000 years. In my opinion that means it's due. The ferry driver gives you a nice little narative as you take the twenty minute ride to the island.

At the Island the bow of the ferry drops and you walk off like an infantry souldier at d-day. Be careful as you walk up the beach, it's a little rocky and can be slippery. Waiting for you will be Suzuki Mules, two man ATV's that look like golf carts on steroids. Each one has a rubbermaid container in the back to hold items. Your given the basic shake down on how to work them and told to "Keep it in 2WD until", the guide in front tells you. You are given open faced helmets with speakers in side. Each mule has a CB radio onboard to communicate. There are 3 point harnesses like the one's in automobiles. Another guide rides "shotgun" bringing up the rear.

You ride old Logging trails across the island. We saw eagles and two grizzlies on our trip out. They take you across the island to a beach with black sand. That's were you engae the 4WD. Yes, just like Hawaii, black sand beaches, remember, you're on a volcanic island. You stop for a little bit on the beach where they served up either coffee, or tomato soup, I hope they still pass out their jalepeno scones for you to enjoy. You get back in and travel back to the original site the same way you came and you're ferried back.

We loved the tour. Although it was the most expensive tour we took, we thought it was worth it. When we went there was still a little bit of snow on the trails. The guide said two weeks earlier there was 6 feet of snow there in places. DW got freaked out when I decided to rooster tail through some of the standing snow. Best part of the trip - a great DVD of a 2 year old Grizzly cub romping across a field. Worst part - perhaps they could find an alternate route back to the loading area instead of bringing you back the way you came . DW said I was grinning like a school boy. Later in the year the salmon will run and the bears will really be out. We got back in time to have lunch in town,take a walk downtown to the church, and stop at the public library across the parking lot from the tender dock to send a quick E-mail home. This was the week the Empress of the North bottomed out and we wanted to assure everyone we were fine and not on that boat.

Eric

My spouse and I took the ATV excursion in sitka and we had a blast.

Eric

Eric, the way you described this tour makes me really want to take it! One question. How physically stressful was it, really? The description says "no pregnant women, no neck/back injuries". My guy Chris is not in the best shape and weighs over 300 lbs, although he doesn't have any "injuries". Do you think he would have trouble?

Thanks!

Linda

Eric, the way you described this tour makes me really want to take it! One question. How physically stressful was it, really? The description says "no pregnant women, no neck/back injuries". My guy Chris is not in the best shape and weighs over 300 lbs, although he doesn't have any "injuries". Do you think he would have trouble?

Thanks!

Linda

Linda,

As much as I hate to admit it, so am I. As far as my injuries go... let's say there's nothing a few rods of steel hasn't fixed. Remind me to tell you about the fun at the airports with those! You do get bounced around a bit. Let's face it, you're off roading in something a bit smaller than a jeep but larger than and ATV Quad. I'm not going to stick my neck out and say "He'll be fine." With my luck (and I'm not wishing this on you)... he may get mauled by a grizzly. DW told me to look out for near sighted ones who might mistake me for a mate.

Eric

P.S. By the way. If you're worried about wearing a helmet someone else has been wearing, you can get a skullcap at any motorcycle shop or "Mart" store before you leave. You should have seen the look I was getting from the older people as I walked off the ship in Ketchikan wearing my full riding clothes, leathers, gloves, boots, skull cap and kevlar reinforced jeans for the Harley tour.

halnewby, definitely interested in hearing more about your ziplining. i am scheduled to go with the same company in juneau and even though have been reassured by others, m still apprehensive about "holding on" and "braking yourself" and the stress it puts on your arms, hands and shoulders. thanks

Linda,

As much as I hate to admit it, so am I. As far as my injuries go... let's say there's nothing a few rods of steel hasn't fixed. Remind me to tell you about the fun at the airports with those! You do get bounced around a bit. Let's face it, you're off roading in something a bit smaller than a jeep but larger than and ATV Quad. I'm not going to stick my neck out and say "He'll be fine." With my luck (and I'm not wishing this on you)... he may get mauled by a grizzly. DW told me to look out for near sighted ones who might mistake me for a mate.

Eric

HaHaHa! Awesome. Ok, I'm going to show this to him and see if he would be more interested in this than a tamer sort of "wildlife quest" excursion. I already know the answer. [grin]

Thanks!

Linda

Thanks for the great pics and reviews of your excursions! I am booked on Orca Enterprises and after reading your review - can't wait! I am also booked on a helicopter/dog sled tour through Temsco. Should I look into Coastal - I've heard about this being a great company and is less expensive. Do you know if there is a big difference?

Thanks for the great pics and reviews of your excursions! I am booked on Orca Enterprises and after reading your review - can't wait! I am also booked on a helicopter/dog sled tour through Temsco. Should I look into Coastal - I've heard about this being a great company and is less expensive. Do you know if there is a big difference?

I have not flown with Temsco. Decided to do it with Coastal to save some bucks it was awesome. Took this decision based on my research on these boards. I guess the experience is the same with any of the companies. Era for a few extra bucks will land you at the glacier for a few minutes before taking you to the dogsled...wanted to do it with them but couldn't fit into the schedule:eek:

halnewby, definitely interested in hearing more about your ziplining. i am scheduled to go with the same company in juneau and even though have been reassured by others, m still apprehensive about "holding on" and "braking yourself" and the stress it puts on your arms, hands and shoulders. thanks

The whole breaking with your hand thing does not cause any stress in your hands. The age range in our tour went from 16-80yrs old...The views you get from being up their and from zipping through those lines will be etched in your memory for ever. My wife has back, neck, and height terror problems...she said it was the best thing she ever did. We always felt safe...they even give you a little tutoring before you start....

HaHaHa! Awesome. Ok, I'm going to show this to him and see if he would be more interested in this than a tamer sort of "wildlife quest" excursion. I already know the answer. [grin]

Thanks!

Linda

It is a wild ride...but a safe one. Those ATV's are extremely tough...

I was exhausted at the end of the tour but it was all worth it:eek:

The whole breaking with your hand thing does not cause any stress in your hands. The age range in our tour went from 16-80yrs old...The views you get from being up their and from zipping through those lines will be etched in your memory for ever. My wife has back, neck, and height terror problems...she said it was the best thing she ever did. We always felt safe...they even give you a little tutoring before you start....

thanks halnewby, sounds great, makes me feel better about it. thanks

Helicopter ride is a must do, although expensive it is worth every penny. It wasn't a bumpy ride, they have an area to store your stuff and I don't know the breakdown of time on helicopter and dogsledding. You will be so engulfed with beauty your watch will be the last thing on your mind. I did extensive research and picked Coastal and wasn't dissapointed.

Thanks, Hal! We just booked this tour with Coastal today. It's been getting rave reviews, and I definitely like the part where you save some money. :D I was a bit nervous about booking an independent, but so far the process has been easy and the service excellent. Now if only the weather will hold for our August trip...

Thanks Halnewby...could you tell me which tour operator you used for the Zipline in Ketchikan? I think that the one I'm finding only books throught he cruiselines...thanks.

Got some bad news:o. I booked every tour that I could using other operators to save money except this one and the ATV tours. Had to die with the cruise prices. You can still try and email alaskacanopyadventures...I don't have their email at hand but you can google them...hope this helps

Please tell us more about your zipline adventure...We are doing it in August as a surprise for my two nephews 14 and 19 years of age...I am the scared one at 47...

Please tell us more about your zipline adventure...We are doing it in August as a surprise for my two nephews 14 and 19 years of age...I am the scared one at 47...

Trust me you will all love it. The experience bonded my wife and i forever. She being the scared one. You will be taken up in Jeep like 4x4 up a mountain. Then you will get some tutoring and get a trial run on a 15 to 20 foot zipline then off you go.. Your kids will feel fine, the operators are basically their age:D

Archived